Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
125 upvotes
Center of the Univer…

The Absolute CHEAPEST full meals in the GTA

Ive been searching around forever for a list of CHEAP meals... but have never really found one. Considering this is RFD, i thought why not start one?

note: if you're picky about "atmosphere" or "ambience" etc, gtfo. This isnt for you.

To qualify for this list. Meal MUST be under $5 and have some sustenance. ie. NO SOUPS
Also, no big chain fast foods (IE. mcdonalds/burger king... who the hell wants to eat mcdonalds anyways?)

So ill begin.

1. Mainsha (Jamaican food) - 1671 keele street / 1561 eglington west / (used to be one on overlea) / Dufferin south of yorkdale
- CHEAP 3$ gets you quarter chicken (BBQed/jerk/stewed/fried) + Rice + salad/steamed veggs + jerk/bbq/stew sauce on rice
- DEEELICIOUS.
- Interior is kinda ghetto.

2. Chinatown centre food court - 222 Spadina Street
- 4 DOLLA 4 ITEM
- Piles a plate REALLLY REALLY high with fried noodles/ chinese stirfry vegs/chicken or whatelse you want.
- More selection and variety than americanized chinese chains such as Manchuwok / teriyaki / st.louis bourbon grill
- May need two people to finish 4 bucks worth of food
- Did get shut down for health violations afew years back. next-day watery poop doesnt bother me though

3. Scarborogh Chinese Food courts - South East Side Midland/McNicole (please add more addresses.. theres like abillion)
- Quick HK style food. Literally will cost you 4 or 5$ -- you get drink + stirfried greasy food on rice.

4. Nguyên Hu’ong - 322 spadina ave / also one on finch in etobicoke?
- $2.25 gets you a mini-baguette sandwich with lots of veggies and pork in it with pate and mayo too@!
- Yummmmmmy!
- Classic banh Mi place.. actually probably the most known

5. Sky Blue Sky Sandwiches - 605 Bloor St West
- Nothing over 4.99
- Bread baked in-house
- Never been here; found it on google

Add more! if you know more locations for these restaurants (ie, the address for the other nguyen huong, or the new mainsha) please post!!

IM DAMN HUNGRY
90 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
Saibot wrote: 2. Chinatown centre food court - 222 Spadina Street
- 4 DOLLA 4 ITEM
- Piles a plate REALLLY REALLY high with fried noodles/ chinese stirfry vegs/chicken or whatelse you want.
- More selection and variety than americanized chinese chains such as Manchuwok / teriyaki / st.louis bourbon grill
- May need two people to finish 4 bucks worth of food
- Did get shut down for health violations afew years back. next-day watery poop doesnt bother me though
Before that heath shut down it used to be $2.99. Insane food volume to price ratio even though some of it was the mystery meat.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2005
2058 posts
75 upvotes
Last week picked up dinner at Oriental.

Any two items, plus rice or noodles and soup (corn or hot and sour) for $3.99. Not bad.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: Banh mi ftw!

There's a banh mi place in Mississauga that sells banh mi for $2.50, but the truly amazing thing is their spring rolls (meat filled) 5 for $2. No tax either, so $4.50 really fills you up.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3711 posts
1395 upvotes
Ottawa
joeyjoejoe wrote: There's a banh mi place in Mississauga that sells banh mi for $2.50, but the truly amazing thing is their spring rolls (meat filled) 5 for $2. No tax either, so $4.50 really fills you up.
Do you happen to know the name?.

Dixie Park food court in Mississauga at Dixie/Eastgate pkwy. About 80% of the meals is under $5 but will run you $5.50-75 with tax. Portions are so big, you could have one meal for lunch and dinner. Health standards are quite low here I think. One time I found a pebble in my black bean sauce and found another pebble on top of char sui.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
IKEA restaurant?
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
Jimboski wrote: Lol I always find It funny they sell food there.. Is It even good?

good? no.
edible? yes.
cheap? kinda.
i think their breakfast is still a buck.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote: Do you happen to know the name?.

Dixie Park food court in Mississauga at Dixie/Eastgate pkwy. About 80% of the meals is under $5 but will run you $5.50-75 with tax. Portions are so big, you could have one meal for lunch and dinner. Health standards are quite low here I think. One time I found a pebble in my black bean sauce and found another pebble on top of char sui.

I love the sizzling plates!

The banh mi place is in High Point Mall (Dixie/Bloor)... it's across from the MTO.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
you can go to any Chinese supermarkets and head to their hot food tables and pick up their daily/weekly specials for $2.99/$3.99/$4.99.
Mar 4, 2008
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
BBQ pork on rice (best deal in downtown TO imo)

If you order for sit down you get:

bowl of soup
HUGE plate of bbq on rice with some random veggies
tea
fortune cookie and slice or orange

$5 covers tax AND tip
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1387 posts
118 upvotes
GTA
Costco! $1.50 for a hotdog & a pop.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
125 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
j23kim wrote: BBQ pork on rice (best deal in downtown TO imo)

bowl of soup
tea

$5 covers tax AND tip

Where???
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
Saibot wrote: Where???

:arrowd:
j23kim wrote: Kom Jug Yuen (spadina and college)

BBQ pork on rice (best deal in downtown TO imo)

bowl of soup
tea

$5 covers tax AND tip
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
4244 posts
316 upvotes
Ahh, the good'ol cumjug. It's actually south of Spadina and College... more like east side of Spadina at Nassau. And you probably won't get soup unless you've been there before. However, their bbq pork is absolutely delicious.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1262 posts
316 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: I love the sizzling plates!

The banh mi place is in High Point Mall (Dixie/Bloor)... it's across from the MTO.

If I remember correctly, it's called Tan Dinh. There's a Pho Viet opening soon in the same mall.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2004
1724 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
nsd wrote: Ahh, the good'ol cumjug. It's actually south of Spadina and College... more like east side of Spadina at Nassau. And you probably won't get soup unless you've been there before. However, their bbq pork is absolutely delicious.
Say what now?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
4244 posts
316 upvotes
Yeah... a lot of people refer to it that way :lol: .
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
Costco: $1.50 for hotdog and drink. Not really a full meal but can't argue with the price. If it's not enough, you can always order fries which is like $2. Not healthy but it's cheap...

Planet Pizza near spadina/college: 2 slices + drink for like $3.99 last I checked. It's a steal.

Most chinese restaurants in Chinatown have lunch specials like bbq pork and these are typically under $5.

Metro at college station has $5 weekday lunch special (not sure if other metros have this). Plus tax of course. They range from pizza to chicken. They also have 2 salads for $5 (or $2.50 each) and these are pretty big boxes.

Food basic sells a whole grilled chicken for $6.99 or 2 for $12. You can probably feed a family in either case.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)