• Apr 8th, 2017 12:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4200 posts
1757 upvotes
Vancouver

Abuse of "Fulfilled By" Amazon.ca deals

Unfortunately there has been incredibly high levels of abuse recently in the Hot Deals forum when it comes to "Fulfilled by Amazon.ca" deals. In case the RFD staff is not aware of it, basically anyone can set up a seller account and list anything with Amazon.ca. Just because an item is "Fulfilled by Amazon.ca" doesn't mean anything. What sellers are doing is listing items on Amazon.ca, putting up a bunch of fake reviews over the course of a couple of weeks, offering a "coupon" discount on their page, and then posting in Hot Deals with links to their item. Apparently they are even using senior/long time RFD members to post these ads for them and paying them according to @syncmaster763. I don't know what the solution is, but if it were me I would put a ban on all fulfilled by amazon.ca deals - especially ones with coupons attached to them.
17 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7757 posts
12359 upvotes
Scarborough
We actually have been going after these Amazon resellers and have even banned many which were found to be recruiting users to post deals on their behalf. Coupon codes and low amounts of reviews are some of the things we look out for. There are plenty of legitimate resellers which is why we have not blacklisted them all. If you suspect abuse please report the thread and we'll investigate the merchant and user who posted it.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1362 posts
613 upvotes
Richmond
Uh, wait...

I thought "Fulfilled by Amazon" means that Amazon actually stocks the goods in their warehouse, ships the goods, and handles returns and refunds. That's the way it has always worked for me, and as far as I am aware, that's what other RFD members think too.

It sounds like you are referring to items that are sold in the Amazon Marketplace but not "Fulfilled by Amazon". Everyone should know that those items are "buyer beware" since anyone can create an Amazon listing and ship goods directly from their own source. Shipping may take a long time, and it's more difficult to request a refund for a defective product, but Amazon should still protect you against outright fraud.
Mar 4, 2006
59 posts
71 upvotes
adamtheman wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 6:35 am
Unfortunately there has been incredibly high levels of abuse recently in the Hot Deals forum when it comes to "Fulfilled by Amazon.ca" deals. In case the RFD staff is not aware of it, basically anyone can set up a seller account and list anything with Amazon.ca. Just because an item is "Fulfilled by Amazon.ca" doesn't mean anything. What sellers are doing is listing items on Amazon.ca, putting up a bunch of fake reviews over the course of a couple of weeks, offering a "coupon" discount on their page, and then posting in Hot Deals with links to their item. Apparently they are even using senior/long time RFD members to post these ads for them and paying them according to @syncmaster763. I don't know what the solution is, but if it were me I would put a ban on all fulfilled by amazon.ca deals - especially ones with coupons attached to them.
I'm not sure if I want them outright banned. I think there needs to be a balanced approach to make sure legitimate deals get through.
Mar 4, 2006
59 posts
71 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:13 am
Uh, wait...

I thought "Fulfilled by Amazon" means that Amazon actually stocks the goods in their warehouse, ships the goods, and handles returns and refunds. That's the way it has always worked for me, and as far as I am aware, that's what other RFD members think too.

It sounds like you are referring to items that are sold in the Amazon Marketplace but not "Fulfilled by Amazon". Everyone should know that those items are "buyer beware" since anyone can create an Amazon listing and ship goods directly from their own source. Shipping may take a long time, and it's more difficult to request a refund for a defective product, but Amazon should still protect you against outright fraud.
No, he is talking about fulfilled by Amazon. Yes Amazon takes care of everything. But those items are still sold by third party. They ship bulk quantities to Amazon and then it becomes a fulfilled by Amazon item.

Those same sellers pay RFD members to post "deals" with coupons.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14440 posts
1348 upvotes
Oshawa
syncmaster763 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:22 am
No, he is talking about fulfilled by Amazon. Yes Amazon takes care of everything. But those items are still sold by third party. They ship bulk quantities to Amazon and then it becomes a fulfilled by Amazon item.

Those same sellers pay RFD members to post "deals" with coupons.
Fulfilled by Amazon means Amazon is responsible for returns, no? Seems to me the only issue here is violation of the self-promotion rule.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Mar 4, 2006
59 posts
71 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:42 am
Fulfilled by Amazon means Amazon is responsible for returns, no? Seems to me the only issue here is violation of the self-promotion rule.
Yes FBA means Amazon is responsible.

The issue isn't returns. The issue is violation of self promotion but also the just the fact that members are being deceived into thinking it's a "hot" deal when it may or may not be. It goes against the entire spirit of sharing deals with each other.
Dec 5, 2015
500 posts
129 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Excuse my ignorance but what's wrong with these deals if they're being fulfilled? Are they a scam?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7757 posts
12359 upvotes
Scarborough
syncmaster763 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:55 am
The issue is violation of self promotion but also the just the fact that members are being deceived into thinking it's a "hot" deal when it may or may not be. It goes against the entire spirit of sharing deals with each other.
This is something we've been cracking down on for a while and more recently extended to include sellers on Amazon. Luckily there are honest members who help report businesses that employ these practices because it's the quickest way to get rid of them on RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1362 posts
613 upvotes
Richmond
Ok, so the complaint is fake reviews and discount deals that aren't really a deal? That's hardly limited to FBA items. I can name dozens of Canadian retailers who routinely offer non-deals and post only positive reviews, although perhaps they aren't directly buying those positive reviews. It would hardly be fair for RFD to block FBA deals. One of the functions of the Hot Deals forum is for people to point out when a deal isn't actually hot and to flag possibly-fake reviews.
Mar 4, 2006
59 posts
71 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 10:00 am
Ok, so the complaint is fake reviews and discount deals that aren't really a deal? That's hardly limited to FBA items. I can name dozens of Canadian retailers who routinely offer non-deals and post only positive reviews, although perhaps they aren't directly buying those positive reviews. It would hardly be fair for RFD to block FBA deals. One of the functions of the Hot Deals forum is for people to point out when a deal isn't actually hot and to flag possibly-fake reviews.
The difference between other retailers and amazon sellers is that the amazon sellers are specifically paying RFD members to post deals. If for example canadian tire puts non-deals on Canadian tire's website and censors negative reviews. That is their choice. But if Canadian tire pays RFD members to post non deals than its RFD community's issue.
Mar 4, 2006
59 posts
71 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:59 am
This is something we've been cracking down on for a while and more recently extended to include sellers on Amazon. Luckily there are honest members who help report businesses that employ these practices because it's the quickest way to get rid of them on RFD.
Thank you for taking swift action.
Jan 29, 2016
318 posts
442 upvotes
New Caledonia
Code threads are still usually up for at least a day... that kind of effort isn't going to curb these "deals" from being posted.
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7757 posts
12359 upvotes
Scarborough
EverybodyKnows wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 11:07 am
Code threads are still usually up for at least a day... that kind of effort isn't going to curb these "deals" from being posted.
There's still a process for us to follow. If it's an existing (not new) member posting it they won't go through moderation and we have to manually review them. What will happen is that user will get a warning and the merchant will go on our watch list. If it continues then it'll get to the point where they (user and merchant) are banned.
Jan 29, 2016
318 posts
442 upvotes
New Caledonia
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 2:38 pm
There's still a process for us to follow. If it's an existing (not new) member posting it they won't go through moderation and we have to manually review them. What will happen is that user will get a warning and the merchant will go on our watch list. If it continues then it'll get to the point where they (user and merchant) are banned.
Great, but considering that a number of accounts might be compromised from the database breach, what hope is there that spammers aren't hijacking old accounts to spam with? For all you know, they have a stockpile.

And considering most deal threads don't even last a day, that's plenty of time for someone to make a quick buck on this garbage code spam. I don't see the rationale in being OK with moderation being this slow.
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel