• Apr 8th, 2017 12:24 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11526 posts
3511 upvotes
Oakville
EverybodyKnows wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 5:49 pm
Great, but considering that a number of accounts might be compromised from the database breach, what hope is there that spammers aren't hijacking old accounts to spam with? For all you know, they have a stockpile.

And considering most deal threads don't even last a day, that's plenty of time for someone to make a quick buck on this garbage code spam. I don't see the rationale in being OK with moderation being this slow.
I agree, but realistically what's the alternative? I don't think there's an easy well for them to automate checking if an Amazon deal is from a marketplace seller or if it's sold by Amazon itself. And you can't just ban all Amazon deals. You can't even put all Amazon deals into moderation, really, because then we lose out on those deals that are there and sold out within a half hour. Particularly with Amazon, there seem to be quite a few time sensitive deals. That's part of what makes this such a complicated problem to fix. If there was a way to easily automate checking if it was a 3rd party deal, and force all of THOSE into moderation, that would definitely work, but I'm not aware of any easy way to do that.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Penalty Box
Jan 29, 2016
377 posts
520 upvotes
New Caledonia
wearysky wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 2:22 pm
I agree, but realistically what's the alternative? I don't think there's an easy well for them to automate checking if an Amazon deal is from a marketplace seller or if it's sold by Amazon itself.
There definitely is a way to do that, and it's probably a five minute script job. Amazon's API is extensive and accommodating. The only reason this isn't done is because RFD must rely on its shitty parent company too much, and something like this would never get implemented.

And really, the alternative is to hold Amazon posts for moderation when they contain a coupon code, for which a regex is easily available.

All of these problems have already been solved elsewhere. The problem is that RFD, and/or its parent company, have no interested in solving these issues because they don't particularly care one way or another if this goes on. Placate the userbase, keep them from some mass exodus and enjoy the status quo. That's the MO of any large "community."
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8744 posts
2893 upvotes
Ottawa
When a deal is downvotes why is there no reason called : "spam"? We got bad price, bad merchant etc... would this not make sense instead of lumping it in "other"?

Then if we want to get fancy 3 spams would flag the thread for a mod review. I upvote/downvote deals all the time it takes literally 2 seconds but i won't report spam, too time consuming to "report post".
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain