Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
494 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa

AC Evap Service?

I recently brought my car in for an oil change. The dealer recommended an "Air Conditioner Evap Service". I forget the details of what it was all about, but the recommendation seemed to be based on mileage. The cost was about $150, so I declined.

Anybody know what "AC Evap Service" is all about and more importantly, is this a worthwhile preventive maintenance activity or more like a dealer upsell? I suspect the latter.

Vehicle is a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT with about 49,000KM on it. No problems with the AC so far. Thanks for your input.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21309 posts
2130 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2016 9:56 pm
I recently brought my car in for an oil change. The dealer recommended an "Air Conditioner Evap Service". I forget the details of what it was all about, but the recommendation seemed to be based on mileage. The cost was about $150, so I declined.

Anybody know what "AC Evap Service" is all about and more importantly, is this a worthwhile preventive maintenance activity or more like a dealer upsell? I suspect the latter.

Vehicle is a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT with about 49,000KM on it. No problems with the AC so far. Thanks for your input.
No smell on a humid summer day? It's just a can of product injected into the vents. $15 can of Klima cleaner is what I use.
Dec 17, 2009
73 posts
15 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 25th, 2016 10:18 pm
It's just a can of product injected into the vents.
Not strictly true. Toyota does an AC refresher kit (not available in Canada) one part of which is injected into the evaporator through the AC drain tube and left for 15 to 20 minutes before being drained. The other part is sprayed into the air intake. It is designed to kill the bacteria in the evaporator that cause the AC musty smell. Best way to reduce this issue is to turn the AC off about 5 minutes before you get home, but leave the blower running to dry out the evap.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33770 posts
7730 upvotes
Ottawa
AC Evap Service" is really just cleaning the evaporator coils of your AC system. It can be done by yourself with a can of AC cleaner....follow the directions on the can.
Yes, there are "kits", yes there are services available but basically, unless you smell something when you turn on your AC, you don't need it. It is like the nitrogen in your tires fad that was all over a few years back.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
494 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 8:58 am
AC Evap Service" is really just cleaning the evaporator coils of your AC system. It can be done by yourself with a can of AC cleaner....follow the directions on the can.
Yes, there are "kits", yes there are services available but basically, unless you smell something when you turn on your AC, you don't need it. It is like the nitrogen in your tires fad that was all over a few years back.
Thank you!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21309 posts
2130 upvotes
Hammerhead786 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 8:49 am
Not strictly true. Toyota does an AC refresher kit (not available in Canada) one part of which is injected into the evaporator through the AC drain tube and left for 15 to 20 minutes before being drained. The other part is sprayed into the air intake. It is designed to kill the bacteria in the evaporator that cause the AC musty smell. Best way to reduce this issue is to turn the AC off about 5 minutes before you get home, but leave the blower running to dry out the evap.
Step 2 is a deodorizer, Lysol into the intake is what many use to accomplish the same. Only step 1 is the actual coil cleaner.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33770 posts
7730 upvotes
Ottawa
Hammerhead786 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 8:49 am
Actually, there is nothing injected into the evaporator but a foam is injected into the casing surrounding the coil. The drain is plugged and after a while the foam returns to liquid state and the liquid is then drained. Problem with this is that while the foam may "clean and deodorize, it will also get the dirt and grunge to flow to the bottom of the case and potentially plug up the drain and then you have a lot of work to do to fix it or, the thing stays plugged and the odour gets worse.
The easiest and quickest and less problematic way is to just spray some cleaner/deodorizer in the AC air intake.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1499 posts
1168 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2016 9:56 pm

Good idea to do once in a while. If you wait until mold builds up, it can be hard to get rid of it. If the system stays clean, then its easier to maintain, stays fresher, longer.
Change the cabin filter at the same time.
Aug 8, 2005
481 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
The old way (which I still use) worked great and was cheap - can of Lysol

Open all windows and run ac on high with blower on highest speed.

Go to air intake at base of windshield and spray the entire can of Lysol till it is almost empty. Turn blower to lowest speed and spray rest of Lysol so it coats everything.

Turn off car and leave for 24 hours (or overnight at least) for remaining Lysol to evaporate