AC fan not working after changing capacitor

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 7:51 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
46 posts
4 upvotes

AC fan not working after changing capacitor

Hello. Its long weekend and our AC all of a sudden stopped cooling (fan not working). My husband cleaned filter, checked AC circuit, changed capacitor but still the fan does not run. You have to manually run it but it stops after sometime.

The fan is hot. Any suggestions please
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1892 posts
874 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Did you replace it with the correct size capacitor?
Jan 7, 2013
411 posts
174 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
By manually run it, do you mean "push it with a stick" to get it spinning?

Either way the capacitor is likely bad.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3111 posts
808 upvotes
Edmonton
Tbik78 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2019 10:21 pm
Hello. Its long weekend and our AC all of a sudden stopped cooling (fan not working). My husband cleaned filter, checked AC circuit, changed capacitor but still the fan does not run. You have to manually run it but it stops after sometime.

The fan is hot. Any suggestions please
How come your husband thinks the capacitor failed? Maybe the new one failed? Does he know what to look for and what to check? If your husband knows what he's doing, it should have been fixed by now. Apparently he has a meter since he "checked the A/C circuit". He should have used the same meter to find the problem.

If it works on manual and no on auto, check the switch? Maybe switch burnt up. Check the circuit board, find out where the voltage ends, as it should be going to the compressor
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4331 posts
1615 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 12:31 pm
How come your husband thinks the capacitor failed? Maybe the new one failed? Does he know what to look for and what to check? If your husband knows what he's doing, it should have been fixed by now. Apparently he has a meter since he "checked the A/C circuit". He should have used the same meter to find the problem.

If it works on manual and no on auto, check the switch? Maybe switch burnt up. Check the circuit board, find out where the voltage ends, as it should be going to the compressor
He’s probably been trying to fix it for 2 days and snarky wife is tired of it
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1087 posts
253 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 1:23 pm
He’s probably been trying to fix it for 2 days and snarky wife is tired of it
Somebody is jaded...
Jun 29, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Can anybody help with this problem: a new circuit board was installed on my furnace.
The heating system functions perfectly.
But the a/c does not function; specifically, the thermostat triggers the furnace, but the compressor does not start.
Any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3111 posts
808 upvotes
Edmonton
LucianoC61620 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 3:19 pm
Can anybody help with this problem: a new circuit board was installed on my furnace.
The heating system functions perfectly.
But the a/c does not function; specifically, the thermostat triggers the furnace, but the compressor does not start.
Any thoughts?
Check for power going to the compressor.
Also sometimes compressor won't start due to low gas (safety feature) put on a set of yellow jacket gauges on the low and hi ports and see what your gas is like.
Should take 5-10 minutes to do both. Quick and easy check
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6806 posts
5896 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
bizzyseller wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 1:27 pm
Somebody is jaded...
Reading thru the lines I’m getting “tell your cheap husband to call in a professional before it’s Oct and still puttering around trying to fix it”
Jun 29, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
HK42FZ011 is the original control board for this Bryant 395CAV

ICM282A is the replacement control board that was installed for this past winter season and resulted in heat being delivered by the furnace.Thumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign

Once we needed AC, the compressor would not start. We changed back to the old circuit board and the AC would function (even though the heating function was still not functional).

So, i suspect the wiring from the original board did not translate to the new board? Is there a wiring modification that is required with the new board to get the compressor to start?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3111 posts
808 upvotes
Edmonton
LucianoC61620 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 8:48 am

ICM282A is the replacement control board that was installed for this past winter season and resulted in heat being delivered by the furnace.Thumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign

Once we needed AC, the compressor would not start. We changed back to the old circuit board and the AC would function (even though the heating function was still not functional).

So, i suspect the wiring from the original board did not translate to the new board? Is there a wiring modification that is required with the new board to get the compressor to start?
Where's the wiring diagram?
Oct 6, 2008
125 posts
51 upvotes
Winnipeg
LucianoC61620 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 8:48 am

What kind of thermostat do you have? Smart?
Jun 29, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Yes, a smart thermostat. I have overridden it, with a lower desired temp, but it still won’t kick on.

As for the wiring translation of the new board from the original board, there was nothing in the instructions to provide guidance. But , i suspect this is the problem; ie the wiring of the new board.
Oct 6, 2008
125 posts
51 upvotes
Winnipeg
LucianoC61620 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2019 12:38 pm
Yes, a smart thermostat. I have overridden it, with a lower desired temp, but it still won’t kick on.

As for the wiring translation of the new board from the original board, there was nothing in the instructions to provide guidance. But , i suspect this is the problem; ie the wiring of the new board.
Could be the wiring on the thermostat side too. Because smart t-stats need a 5th common wire for power, one is sometimes mistakenly taken from either heat or cool. May explain why you have heat and not cool. Do you have 5 wires to thermostat and furnace? Check to see the same coloured wire that's connected to the Y terminal on the furnace is connected to the Y terminal on your thermostat. I believe that's the one that sends the signal to the air conditioner to turn on.