Home & Garden

AC not cooling in condo rental. Solutions?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2018 2:20 pm
[OP]
May 8, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote

AC not cooling in condo rental. Solutions?

So my AC is working but the air coming out is not cool but neutral. I tried shutting off & on the breaker several times but it's still not working. I set it to 24 degrees but inside my unit it's been 28 degrees all day.

What could be the cause? It's a 10 year old condo in downtown Toronto. Could not changing the filter cause it?

Concierge says nobody else in the building has the issue.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6705 posts
3721 upvotes
Edmonton
Oceanhouse wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 4:54 pm
So my AC is working but the air coming out is not cool but neutral. I tried shutting off & on the breaker several times but it's still not working. I set it to 24 degrees but inside my unit it's been 28 degrees all day.

What could be the cause? It's a 10 year old condo in downtown Toronto. Could not changing the filter cause it?

Concierge says nobody else in the building has the issue.
Are you the tenant or the landlord? Do you have shared AC or your own AC?

C
[OP]
May 8, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
It's central! Not my own. AC is covered in the maintenance fees. I rent.

I'm not concerned about getting it fixed by management but I want to know possible causes so I can maybe fix it myself? Cause I'm really ill and cannot have visitors right now. lol
May 9, 2003
860 posts
90 upvotes
Do you have a fan coil unit in your unit? If so, the valve may be stuck open or closed.
[OP]
May 8, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
How do I find out if I have a fan coil? Got any links to pics? What would cause the valve to change?

There is a while panel door on the wall under the thermostat.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6705 posts
3721 upvotes
Edmonton
As a renter, you should get management to deal with it. Especially since you don’t know what you’re doing. You can cause more damage, and it’s not your property.

Just IMHO...

C
Mar 13, 2018
615 posts
287 upvotes
Oceanhouse wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 11:03 pm
It's central! Not my own. AC is covered in the maintenance fees. I rent.

I'm not concerned about getting it fixed by management but I want to know possible causes so I can maybe fix it myself? Cause I'm really ill and cannot have visitors right now. lol
Sounds like something in the fancoil unit is broken if concierge says nobody else has an issue , fancoil is responsibility of owner. So call your land lord
[OP]
May 8, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
So this morning found out the whole building is affected. No AC for anyone. So annoyed I spent hours thinking it was only me since the concierge said nobody else complained.
[OP]
May 8, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
Management sent this email out to us:

The Ac system is not working in the building due to low pressure. The technician with our staff are working hard to find the cause of low pressure. There is a faulty unit which allows the liquid to run down the drain. Please help us by listening to your AC unit.

Interesting...is this common in condos?
[OP]
May 8, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 6:45 am
As a renter, you should get management to deal with it. Especially since you don’t know what you’re doing. You can cause more damage, and it’s not your property.

Just IMHO...

C
Ya, I know but I had food poisoning so I didn't know what to do. Face With Tears Of Joy Nowhere to hide for privacy & I couldn't open the front door for anyone either.

AC works now!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)