• May 11th, 2017 12:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1388 posts
332 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.

Acana Cat Food Has 25% Price Increase!

As many of us know, cat foods (and probably dog foods too) have arbitrary price increases of a few percentage points once or twice a year. But Acana's price increase is extreme. We use the large bag (formerly 15 pounds, now 12 pounds) of the Acana Wild Prairie Cat & Kitten. The price where we buy it is $54.99. That price has stayed the same, but the weight has dropped by three pounds. Acana has done a reformulation of some sort. They've gone from 70% meat to 75%. And there are a few other differences in the ingredients. But 25%? I'm not great at math, but I calculate it as follows: At the price point of $54.99, 15 pounds of the food now costs $68.74 ($54.99/12*15=$68.74). And 25% of $54.99 is $13.75 and $54.99+13.75=$68.74. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that it's exactly 25%. Here is information from the Acana site about the new and old formulas: https://acana.com/our-foods/regionals-c ... d-prairie/ https://acana.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -Lo1-1.pdf

Anyway, I called Acana (Champion Pet Foods) and the woman I spoke to couldn't have cared less. She said it was a "marketing decision" and completed disagreed with the fact that the change was 25%, but said it was only "2 or 3 percent." She was unwilling to allow me to give her my calculation. Like I said, couldn't care less. Also, they've basically priced themselves the same as their more premium food, Orijen. Where we are, Orijen (still at 15 pounds) sells for $68.99 AND has 80% meat. I asked why they did this, basically taking a food that was a little more affordable and putting it at almost an identical price point as their highest priced food, but having it be a lesser value. She said again it was a "marketing decision" and basically just said Orijen will be having a "reformulation" too, meaning I suppose that it was also decreasing from 15 to 12 pounds. Here's the information about the comparable Orijen: https://www.orijen.ca/foods/cat-food/dr ... at-kitten/

She's sending a trial bag with the new formulation, but that's not going to take this sting of such a price increase away. And I don't think I've ever seen Acana on sale, at least not around where I live. I'm really considering going over to Wellness Core, a similarly premium food, but with Wellness coupons and the fact that it's frequently on sale, it will be a better price point than Acana now.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"

Love TV? The Episodium
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5136 posts
655 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Pet food marketing in Canada is the biggest lie going. The CFIA passed legislation making it illegal for individuals to import pet food from the U.S. (only 20kg, pet has to be in the car with you), thereby opening the door for manufacturers to charge a premium. Because we have no choice.
Apr 25, 2011
611 posts
208 upvotes
British Columbia
Doesn't surprise me. Over the last 5 years many of the foods I used to purchase have gone up 25-50% or more. One wet food I used to purchase had a 100% increase overnight... stopped buying it. The state of pet food is sort of scary; the constant increases are going to price many people out of purchasing even low end food soon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1388 posts
332 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Well, I was serious about purchasing Wellness Core instead. I stumbled onto the Petsmart Web site as we have a new one somewhat nearby that opened very recently. And they're having an offer that continues through December 1 for $10 off $50, $20 off $80 and $30 off $100. Wellness Core is on for $54.99 for the large bag, which is 12 pounds. When I buy two, get the $30 off and compare it to the price of Acana now, the Wellness is about $7 less per 15-pounds of food. And it's free shipping to that new store. And if the cats don't like it, I can return it. One of my cats says "Acana can kiss my whiskers." :-)

Love TV? The Episodium
Apr 25, 2011
611 posts
208 upvotes
British Columbia
Just so you know Petsmart had been doing a lot of these promotions.

This summer almost every weekend there were deals, some as good as 10 dollars off 30 were seen frequently. It is best to sign-up for their emails as sometimes they were exclusive only to your Petsmart account.

I stocked up on a lot of higher quality bands this summer from Petsmart that I'm still working through -- I'd focus on buying brands already on sale and then get the discount on top. It would work out to about 50% off in a lot of cases.

Waiting for another good sale from them...
Banned
Nov 23, 2016
43 posts
45 upvotes
Anyone know if Orijen is following suit?

Also, besides wellness core, what other foods will you guys recommend? I only wanna give my cats premium cat food, and I've always done orijen and acana.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1388 posts
332 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
KingdomPriest wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 2:22 am
Anyone know if Orijen is following suit?
The woman on the phone was vague, but she implied that Orijen is going in the same direction with a small change to rationalise a major price increase. And the fact that now Acana and Orijen are virtually the same price now if you compare by weight kind of supports that.

Love TV? The Episodium
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14000 posts
3274 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
My local global pet rep has been warning me that orijen was going to raise their prices soon. Champion pet foods is notorious for being a royal pain in the ass to their suppliers. I guess its a superiority complex. They know they have the best food and feel like everyone should be at their mercy. The fact that the Champion rep didn't give an f isn't surprising. My dog loves orijen but if they don't give an f about their customers then it's time for me to switch.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1388 posts
332 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 1:53 pm
My local global pet rep has been warning me that orijen was going to raise their prices soon. Champion pet foods is notorious for being a royal pain in the ass to their suppliers. I guess its a superiority complex. They know they have the best food and feel like everyone should be at their mercy. The fact that the Champion rep didn't give an f isn't surprising. My dog loves orijen but if they don't give an f about their customers then it's time for me to switch.
I guess it was about three years ago that we switched from Orijen to Acana. Frankly, it was a cost decision, nothing more. But I was insecure because, as you say, Orijen is the best. I spoke to someone who went over the differences and really made me feel comfortable with the change. Keep in mind that I was going to something less expensive and she didn't try at all to suggest I should just stay with Orijen. Additionally, she sent me a voucher for a free LARGE bag and she couriered me sample bags of all the cat varieties of Acana AND a bunch of bags of Orijen cat treats. How times have changed there...

Love TV? The Episodium
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2006
1554 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Sigh, does that mean it's better to stick with Acana?

I was on Fromm's, but my dog stopped eating it (didn't like it LOL!), she loves Acana's but was interested in trying Orijen :(.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14000 posts
3274 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Kaiu wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 4:23 pm
Sigh, does that mean it's better to stick with Acana?

I was on Fromm's, but my dog stopped eating it (didn't like it LOL!), she loves Acana's but was interested in trying Orijen :(.
Honestly the price diff between Acana and orijen is pretty minimal. Like $10 diff for a large 13kg bag. I wouldn't let that stop me from switching if I were you.
Firebolt wrote:
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1388 posts
332 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 5:29 pm
Honestly the price diff between Acana and orijen is pretty minimal. Like $10 diff for a large 13kg bag. I wouldn't let that stop me from switching if I were you.
I'm not sure if the dog Acana had this major price increase (or weight reduction if you prefer), but if it did, the price is virtually identical for the two now, not a $10 difference any longer. As I mentioned in my original post, the price now in our store for 15 pounds of the Acana chicken cat food is $68.74. The price itself has stayed consistent, you'd only know about the 25% increase if you read the weight that went from 15 to 12 pounds. While the Orijen chicken cat food is still in our store with 15 pound bags at $68.99. Just a few cents difference between Orijen and Acana. But that's for the cat food mind you. Anyone that's going to continue using Orijen might consider stocking up while the weight is still the same for the bags. Because clearly Champion is going to do with Orijen what they did to Acana. It makes no sense that they're going to have both cost virtually the same in general.

Love TV? The Episodium
Mar 22, 2015
40 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So did Oijen drop size too? Their Cat & Kitten is 5.4KG now, but I swear it used to be 7KG. (I don't keep the bags)

Edit: The old size was indeed 6.8kg/15lbs. I keep track of all my purchases and have it entered as 15lbs for $81.35 after tax purchased in December. Scared to know what the new cost/weight is...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1388 posts
332 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
lookingfortv wrote:
May 1st, 2017 3:25 pm
So did Oijen drop size too? Their Cat & Kitten is 5.4KG now, but I swear it used to be 7KG.
Edit: The old size was indeed 6.8kg/15lbs.
That sounded familiar and so I re-read my original post. The woman I spoke to about Acana commented (or should I say "warned") that Orijen was decreasing in size. They used the word "reformulation." We've since gone over to Wellness Core. Our cats have accepted it without problem. At first glance, it's at least as pricey as Orijen/Acana, maybe more. But between the available coupons when you sign up for the Wellness newsletter and the deals available when you purchase it at Petsmart online, it works out to be quite a good value: https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natural-cat-food/core

Love TV? The Episodium
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14000 posts
3274 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Orijen dog food decreased from 28.6 lbs to 25

Same cost
Firebolt wrote: