• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2011 4:38 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 9, 2008
23 posts
Scarborough

Acanac phone service question

I am planning to switch from bell to Acanac $9.95 home unlimited plan. Can anyone provide me some feedbacks on their service
18 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Don't. It's not unlimited. It has a limit of certain # of calls per month.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1823 posts
10 upvotes
I had it a few years ago. It was awful. Never worked. It was hands down the worse company I ever dealt with.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2010
2000 posts
115 upvotes
North York
weedb0y wrote: Don't. It's not unlimited. It has a limit of certain # of calls per month.
What you mean is, it has a limit of how many different numbers you can call. But they don't care unless you consistently go over the limit by a lot every month, and the limit is way higher than a normal person would need. This is to prevent telemarketers from using it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
YYZFA wrote: I had it a few years ago. It was awful. Never worked. It was hands down the worse company I ever dealt with.
:rolleyes: :eek: :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
voip.ms is better and cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6381 posts
1740 upvotes
Does OP use DSL as well? If you cut bell and switch to Acanac on your phone service, you would be using dryloop. There is a dryloop fee as well, +/- $10 per mth
Mar 17, 2005
538 posts
238 upvotes
Acanac phone service is not that bad. It is working very well most of time. There is rarely couples of hours service disruption though. It is standard sip voip, so I can use it with Asterisk easily. Acanac offer caller id, call forward, voice mail with email notification, call waiting, etc. all free.

50 limit is for different inbound and outbound phone numbers. It is not number of calls. And any call less than 30sec does not count. So it is safe for telemarket calls.

One thing I probably need mention is that I read one post complaining that calling to very remote areas in Canada/US is not unlimited, but charged by minutes. So if you may fit this case, it is better to check with Acanac first.

So far I have no complain on the phone service.
Jun 9, 2008
23 posts
Scarborough
thanks for all the replies. I currently have acanac internet and i have no complains since its way faster than what i got from bell or rogers. i wanna switch cause bell only gives me voice mail and they charge $34/mth.
I did not know about that i can only call limited numbers or the duration of the calls thing. But my mom spoke with Bell and they notified that acanac wont be a good option as i use their jack for internet
Mar 17, 2005
538 posts
238 upvotes
There is a limit of different numbers, but not during and number of calls (if within their unlimited plan of course). You can call a number thousands of times or talk over all week. So if the acanac works or not depends on how many people you will talk with per month.

Bell is not telling the exact truth. The jack and the phone line are bell's. That's why if they does not get anything from you (i.e. no phone or internet from bell), they will charge dry loop fee ($8.4/month flat for Acanac). But considering the rich features offered by most voip providers, it is still a good deal. If reliability is the primary concern, nothing can beat landline. :-)
Feb 4, 2009
127 posts
Toronto
Hello! Next month I'll be moving to a new Town House so I won't be having any phone line (bell). But Im planning to have a Acanac home phone and internet.... so is it possible to have a Acanac home phone and internet without having a bell line? And how much it will cost ? Any help will be appreciated .

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
spiderweb wrote: Hello! Next month I'll be moving to a new Town House so I won't be having any phone line (bell). But Im planning to have a Acanac home phone and internet.... so is it possible to have a Acanac home phone and internet without having a bell line? And how much it will cost ? Any help will be appreciated .

Thanks
You will need to pay for a dry loop to do that since the Acanac phone isn't a landline. $8/month with Acanac for dry loop:

http://www.acanac.com/NakedDSL.htm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5958 posts
2745 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
shimh wrote: Acanac phone service is not that bad. It is working very well most of time. There is rarely couples of hours service disruption though. It is standard sip voip, so I can use it with Asterisk easily. Acanac offer caller id, call forward, voice mail with email notification, call waiting, etc. all free.

50 limit is for different inbound and outbound phone numbers. It is not number of calls. And any call less than 30sec does not count. So it is safe for telemarket calls.

One thing I probably need mention is that I read one post complaining that calling to very remote areas in Canada/US is not unlimited, but charged by minutes. So if you may fit this case, it is better to check with Acanac first.

So far I have no complain on the phone service.
Is that 50 different caller limit for long distance or local?
Mar 17, 2005
538 posts
238 upvotes
fergy wrote: Is that 50 different caller limit for long distance or local?
Both. If your call volume is not very high, but need talk with many different people, you can try voip.ms.
Dec 31, 1969
Some Acanac customers use both dsl and voip.
Voip will work for either dry loop or regular dsl internet
or cable internet. Minimum internet speeds for voip
2M over 512K. Bell provides the phone line and activates
the connection Acanac customers can use both the dsl
and voip and switch both services from Bell.

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
young__baller wrote: thanks for all the replies. I currently have acanac internet and i have no complains since its way faster than what i got from bell or rogers. i wanna switch cause bell only gives me voice mail and they charge $34/mth.
I did not know about that i can only call limited numbers or the duration of the calls thing. But my mom spoke with Bell and they notified that acanac wont be a good option as i use their jack for internet
Dec 31, 1969
Limit of 50 numbers per month for residential voip
and 250 numbers per month for business voip
is part of the terms and conditions of Acanac voip
http://acanac.com/User-Agreement.html .

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
fergy wrote: Is that 50 different caller limit for long distance or local?
shimh wrote: There is a limit of different numbers, but not during and number of calls (if within their unlimited plan of course). You can call a number thousands of times or talk over all week. So if the acanac works or not depends on how many people you will talk with per month.

Bell is not telling the exact truth. The jack and the phone line are bell's. That's why if they does not get anything from you (i.e. no phone or internet from bell), they will charge dry loop fee ($8.4/month flat for Acanac). But considering the rich features offered by most voip providers, it is still a good deal. If reliability is the primary concern, nothing can beat landline. :-)
young__baller wrote: thanks for all the replies. I currently have acanac internet and i have no complains since its way faster than what i got from bell or rogers. i wanna switch cause bell only gives me voice mail and they charge $34/mth.
Nov 8, 2007
50 posts
Do you need to leave your computer on to use this phone service?
Nov 17, 2004
83 posts
Chiggy335 wrote: Do you need to leave your computer on to use this phone service?

Nope you shouldn't have to if they provide you with an ATA.
Alex Maleki - / - (416) 548-8600
iTeraWeb Solutions Inc. - \ - Broadband Home Phone from $12.50 per month.
http://www.iteraweb.ca | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support