Shopping Discussion

Acanac scammed $50 from me

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2012 7:35 pm
Jul 2, 2009
54 posts

Acanac scammed $50 from me

So the situation is this: after about 6 years with Acanac DSL service, I decide to cancel/terminate the DSL and dryloop service. When I signed up for their $18.95 offer, I agreed to having a $50 modem deposit, returned to me upon termination of Acanac service and return on the modem. I had not been getting anywhere close to the advertised speed of 5 Mbps. It started off at 4.2 Mbps, then slowly trickled down to 2.5 Mbps. I had submitted many tickets to Acanac in regards to the speed issue, hoping they would be able to take necessary action to fix my connection. But every time I submitted a ticket, they don't take any action to resolve my outstanding speed issues. I have had enough of Acanac's "customer service", I decided to terminate Acanac's DSL connection.

When I requested to terminate and not renew my service, they replied:

[QUOTE]Dear Valued Client,

I am sorry to hear that you will no longer be staying with us. If you like, you can leave the account active for another family member to enjoy.

We look forward to continuing business with us.

Best Regards,
Acanac
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking NO. Not after my 6 years of experience with you guys.

A few replies later, when I asked Acanac what address they want the modem to be returned to and they said:

[QUOTE]Hi,

We are truly sorry for the mistake in previous reply.

We no longer buy back the modems.

As it is mentioned in the agreement, "We do provide a full refund for the modem if cancellation is made within the 30 day no obligation period."

For more information you can visit:

https://www.acanac.com/cgi-bin/acanac.c ... l_DSL.html

Best Regards,
Acanac Inc. [/QUOTE]

I had agreed to having the $50 modem deposit returned to me once the modem was shipped back to Acanac; they didn't notify me of this policy change in anyway.

For those considering the switch to Acanac, please think twice. You don't want to end up in my situation. On another note, anyone have any tips for how to deal with Acanac on this situation? Thanks.
41 replies
Jul 2, 2009
54 posts
Jimboski wrote: What I would suggest Is to keep that modem and hopefully be able to re-use It for the new ISP you are getting.
Not going to say anymore because others will tell us about the bad stories regarding Acanac!
but the thing is, I don't use DSL internet service anymore...i'm sticking with my Mobilicity unlimited data tethering for the time being until I find a new provider. When I do, I'm confident it won't be DSL.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1316 posts
488 upvotes
I would dig up that contract and if it mentioned nothing about the 30 days, I would go and argue.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
kcmc68 wrote: but the thing is, I don't use DSL internet service anymore...i'm sticking with my Mobilicity unlimited data tethering for the time being until I find a new provider. When I do, I'm confident it won't be DSL.
How old Is the modem? You may be able to sell It.
Don't think fighting It would do any good, I heard Acanac wasn't good In terms of customer support..
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
67 posts
5 upvotes
Six years of modem use for $50 is a good amount of time. I don't know that I would worry about it. This is just my personal opinion.

Hopefully, you can use it for your next service, or sell it. Good luck!
Jul 2, 2009
54 posts
Revva7 wrote: Six years of modem use for $50 is a good amount of time. I don't know that I would worry about it. This is just my personal opinion.

Jimboski wrote: How old Is the modem? You may be able to sell It.
Don't think fighting It would do any good, I heard Acanac wasn't good In terms of customer support..

Modem is 6 years old. I bought my own modem about 1 month in, so I haven't used Acanac's modem since then. Acanac's modem actually had their signals dropped for no reason.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
Revva7 wrote: Six years of modem use for $50 is a good amount of time. I don't know that I would worry about it. This is just my personal opinion.

Acanac didn't give him the modem or just charge him $50 for its use. He has been paying for it for the last 6 yrs in his internet service fees. The $50 was a deposit fee and as such, he is entitled to it back. If the terms and conditions of the agreement were changed, Acanac should have informed him of those changes and given him the opportunity to return the modem before the change.

What I don't understand OP, is that if you weren't using their modem, why didn't you return it to them in the beginning and get your deposit back?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
kcmc68 wrote: So the situation is this: after about 6 years with Acanac DSL service, I decide to cancel/terminate the DSL and dryloop service. When I signed up for their $18.95 per month offer back in the day, they had asked for a $50 modem deposit, which will be returned to me once I cancel my service and return the modem. Fast forward to 6 years later, I asked Acanac what address they want the modem to be returned to and they said:

I had agreed to having the $50 modem deposit returned to me once the modem was shipped back to Acanac; they didn't notify me of this policy change in anyway. This is ridiculous. So what should I do from here? thanks.
According to a post from 2010, this policy was changed in 2008. If you've been with them 6 years, you would have signed up before they changed the rules. If they didn't update your terms about this change, they have to abide by the agreement you originally consented to. See the post below - the earlier invoices showed "deposit" and they were changed in 2008 to say "fee". See below:

19-tax-month-high-speed-internet-5mb-un ... st10836827

Hopefully, you still have your original invoice and if you were not advised there was a change, the original agreement still applies for you.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
It was changed in 2008 and until 2010 they were letting people get their money back.
Every time Acanac sends a renewal invoice it has inside the current new terms, he probably had a 2 years period afterwards to give it back and get his money back.
I've been with Acanac for almost 6 years now and they are by far the best ISP out there on all accounts.
I have 3 accounts at 3 different locations by the way.
Jul 2, 2009
54 posts
Cheap Cat wrote: Acanac didn't give him the modem or just charge him $50 for its use. He has been paying for it for the last 6 yrs in his internet service fees. The $50 was a deposit fee and as such, he is entitled to it back. If the terms and conditions of the agreement were changed, Acanac should have informed him of those changes and given him the opportunity to return the modem before the change.

What I don't understand OP, is that if you weren't using their modem, why didn't you return it to them in the beginning and get your deposit back?
I thought that since I had the Acanac modem anyways, I'll keep as a backup just in case. If I was going to terminate, I'd still get my deposit back.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
OP, PM'd you an email of a person at Acanac who should be able to help.
Jul 2, 2009
54 posts
sillysimms wrote: According to a post from 2010, this policy was changed in 2008. If you've been with them 6 years, you would have signed up before they changed the rules. If they didn't update your terms about this change, they have to abide by the agreement you originally consented to. See the post below - the earlier invoices showed "deposit" and they were changed in 2008 to say "fee". See below:

19-tax-month-high-speed-internet-5mb-un ... st10836827

Hopefully, you still have your original invoice and if you were not advised there was a change, the original agreement still applies for you.
I wasn't notified of any changes. They keep on auto-renewing me without notice. Even in the renewal email, they don't let me know about new changes to anything.
Jul 2, 2009
54 posts
flafson wrote: It was changed in 2008 and until 2010 they were letting people get their money back.
Every time Acanac sends a renewal invoice it has inside the current new terms, he probably had a 2 years period afterwards to give it back and get his money back.
I've been with Acanac for almost 6 years now and they are by far the best ISP out there on all accounts.
I have 3 accounts at 3 different locations by the way.
Best? I have my doubts. I have been consistently getting lower and lower speeds. with them. From the advertised 5 Mbps, I used to get 4.2 Mbps, then it dropped to 3.5 Mbps, then 2.4 Mbps and just stayed there. Keep in mind, I'm paying about $45+ after taxes, when other pay the same and get way faster service with other providers. I had Acanac put in work orders to see if they could fix the situation. But nothing worked in the end.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2011
1980 posts
271 upvotes
MONT-ROYAL
People stop suggesting to the OP to sell the modem... a brand new model can be had for $18... they are worth nothing.

$50 is a scam.. Bell also does this.. they make money on these things.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Yea, DSL modems are $15-$20
Acanac are the best, all your issues came from Bell. Bell tend to lower rates so people would come to places like this mad at Acanac and call them scam like you just did. That's the problem with 3rd party ISP.
The only solution is to never give business to Bell, only 3rd party companies like Acanac.
Mar 17, 2005
538 posts
238 upvotes
kcmc68 wrote: Best? I have my doubts. I have been consistently getting lower and lower speeds. with them. From the advertised 5 Mbps, I used to get 4.2 Mbps, then it dropped to 3.5 Mbps, then 2.4 Mbps and just stayed there. Keep in mind, I'm paying about $45+ after taxes, when other pay the same and get way faster service with other providers. I had Acanac put in work orders to see if they could fix the situation. But nothing worked in the end.
Of course Acanac could not fix stuff like this because they, as well as other indie ISPs, don't control the last mile. In your case, it fell to Bell's hands. The best they could do was to request Bell to have a look and hope the best. Seeing other guys are getting faster speed at paying the same exactly mean there is no problem with their network if they use Acanac as well. And there is a magic word to cover it, "up to", if Bell don't have the mood to fix your slow speed. :-)
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1876 posts
130 upvotes
kcmc68 wrote: Best? I have my doubts. I have been consistently getting lower and lower speeds. with them. From the advertised 5 Mbps, I used to get 4.2 Mbps, then it dropped to 3.5 Mbps, then 2.4 Mbps and just stayed there. Keep in mind, I'm paying about $45+ after taxes, when other pay the same and get way faster service with other providers. I had Acanac put in work orders to see if they could fix the situation. But nothing worked in the end.
So unless you need unlimited bandwidth, might as well just switch back to Bell so you don't have to deal with these "who to blame" headaches.

I have the Fibe 15/10 service for $30+tax/month for 6 months (or 12 if you negotiate). There NO CONTRACT so u can cancel anytime. I've been using it for 3 weeks and I've been consistently getting 13.x Mbps down, 7-8 Mbps up. Modem rental is included (don't have to pay extra or buy your own) and you can pay MONTH TO MONTH. No need to pre-pay for the whole year.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
myapple wrote: So unless you need unlimited bandwidth, might as well just switch back to Bell so you don't have to deal with these "who to blame" headaches.

I have the Fibe 15/10 service for $30+tax/month for 6 months (or 12 if you negotiate). There NO CONTRACT so u can cancel anytime. I've been using it for 3 weeks and I've been consistently getting 13.x Mbps down, 7-8 Mbps up. Modem rental is included (don't have to pay extra or buy your own) and you can pay MONTH TO MONTH. No need to pre-pay for the whole year.
Sounds like Stockholm syndrome to me. Work with your abductors.