• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2014 9:16 pm
Tags:
None
Newbie
Jun 9, 2012
28 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO

Acanac Service

Hey Everyone,

I recently decided to switch to Acanac for my dry loop DSL needs and I wanted to share my experience with everyone and hope to entice others to do the same.

Note - if you are going to talk about your service please include the approximate date you had acanac service, modem you are using and you general location

Order Date[/B] - Aug 31st
Install Date - Sept 7th
Review Date - September 9th
Hardware / Modem used - Unlocked 2Wire router & modem in 1 (same one that Bell gives out)
Location - East end of Toronto (near the danfoth)
Review - So far Acanac seems to be very stable, I get between 5 - 5.5 mbps dl and 700k ul. Now considering I have the 6mbps business package I think it is working out well so far.

I will be updating this review weekly (for the next couple of weeks) to note any changes in service.
52 replies
Member
Jun 27, 2007
215 posts
35 upvotes
I switched to their cable Internet. Much faster and cheaper than dry loop DSL (no dry loop fees). Getting up to 20Mbps.
Banned
User avatar
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
TDotAvenger wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 9:02 am
Hey Everyone,

I recently decided to switch to Acanac for my dry loop DSL needs and I wanted to share my experience with everyone and hope to entice others to do the same.

Note - if you are going to talk about your service please include the approximate date you had acanac service, modem you are using and you general location

Order Date[/B] - Aug 31st
Install Date - Sept 7th
Review Date - September 9th
Hardware / Modem used - Unlocked 2Wire router & modem in 1 (same one that Bell gives out)
Location - East end of Toronto (near the danfoth)
Review - So far Acanac seems to be very stable, I get between 5 - 5.5 mbps dl and 700k ul. Now considering I have the 6mbps business package I think it is working out well so far.

I will be updating this review weekly (for the next couple of weeks) to note any changes in service.
4 posts. are you sure your not some person who gets paid for posts like this??
cuz i am pretty sure there are tons of threads that say otherwise about this company.

i said it before RFD and i'll say it again. AVOID ACANAC/DISTRIBUTEL/3WEB/CIA.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3651 posts
129 upvotes
Barrie
infamouskid wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 1:39 pm
4 posts. are you sure your not some person who gets paid for posts like this??
cuz i am pretty sure there are tons of threads that say otherwise about this company.

i said it before RFD and i'll say it again. AVOID ACANAC/DISTRIBUTEL/3WEB/CIA.
Currently I have had the same experience with Acanac. Some people run into a lot of troubles but there are plenty of happy customers too.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2012
28 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
dkojevnikov wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 10:22 am
I switched to their cable Internet. Much faster and cheaper than dry loop DSL (no dry loop fees). Getting up to 20Mbps.
Honestly I am doing this because i read so many bad reviews for acanac and my service has been good so far (I will post an update later this wee when i go through the weeknight slow down) and I am thinking the major problems are based on where you live not acanac

I will keep updating everyone whether i am having a good or bad experience!
Banned
User avatar
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
TDotAvenger wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 3:25 pm
Honestly I am doing this because i read so many bad reviews for acanac and my service has been good so far (I will post an update later this wee when i go through the weeknight slow down) and I am thinking the major problems are based on where you live not acanac

I will keep updating everyone whether i am having a good or bad experience!
charging a customer another year in advanced on their CC without authorization and avoiding the customer that is trying to cancel by refusing to accept a request to cancel service over the phone and instead pushing them to some email they never respond to is not area related issue. just plain bad business practices.
Banned
User avatar
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
looks like nothing changed.

http://bit.ly/OoHFKh


oh look.. they have actual websites dedicated to how bad they are.
http://acanacftestimonials.blogspot.ca/
http://acanacfeedback.blogspot.com/
http://www.topix.com/forum/business/isp ... IRGHOAC2OC
http://acanacsucks.blogspot.ca/

you can run back to paul and imelda now and let them know your marketing campaign here failed.
unlike other boards we don't forget bad companies.
Newbie
Aug 4, 2012
32 posts
0
Honestly, I was going to get them and then they said they can't cover my area. So I ordered distributel (installation in a few days), weirdly enough my area is now 'covered' again by Acanac.

Currently, with Primus for a few years now actually, no complaints 5mbs usually get more like spikes to 800 on steam are not un-common usually download 6-700 kb/s.

Upload is fine, did have them attempt a cap earlier this year but since there was no ruling as of yet we argued that they have to wait before anything like that.

The ping is bad sometimes, even with a new router I do get random d/cs sometimes and lag spikes sometimes when my brother plays League of Legends. By no means a bad service 8/10 it's mostly the speed, and the lag spikes tbh. (~100 ping usually, if 2 ppl r playing over wifi esp. 1 will almost certainly get spikes into 500+ a few times during a reg. 20-30min game).
Banned
User avatar
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
GunzRX wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 1:56 pm
Honestly, I was going to get them and then they said they can't cover my area. So I ordered distributel (installation in a few days), weirdly enough my area is now 'covered' again by Acanac.

Currently, with Primus for a few years now actually, no complaints 5mbs usually get more like spikes to 800 on steam are not un-common usually download 6-700 kb/s.

Upload is fine, did have them attempt a cap earlier this year but since there was no ruling as of yet we argued that they have to wait before anything like that.

The ping is bad sometimes, even with a new router I do get random d/cs sometimes and lag spikes sometimes when my brother plays League of Legends. By no means a bad service 8/10 it's mostly the speed, and the lag spikes tbh. (~100 ping usually, if 2 ppl r playing over wifi esp. 1 will almost certainly get spikes into 500+ a few times during a reg. 20-30min game).
just so you know. acanac = distributel = 3web = cia.
they are all the same company.
networking and peering with them has always been a bad issue. i think they peer with only cogent.
whereas others guys are peering with multiple partners. such as peer1 and cogeco and shaw and level 3.
and during peak hours they slow down your connection under the "network management" clause.
read about it here and on dslr. they slow down connections during peak as low as 1.5mbps sometimes.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2012
28 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
Serious infamouskid you obiviously have a problem with Acanac but not everyone has that same issue and that is the whole reason i made this posting, I don't work for acanac and don't know who Paul or Amelda is.

If you don't believe me feel free to PM me and I will prove it to you
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2460 posts
178 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
TDotAvenger wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 3:30 pm
Serious infamouskid you obiviously have a problem with Acanac but not everyone has that same issue and that is the whole reason i made this posting, I don't work for acanac and don't know who Paul or Amelda is.

If you don't believe me feel free to PM me and I will prove it to you
I had the same issues as the people above. It was not pretty. Problem is it's not just them. CIK's even worse.

Wait a few months then you'll start getting random disconnects and slow-as-snail speeds at night.
Banned
User avatar
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
TDotAvenger wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 3:30 pm
Serious infamouskid you obiviously have a problem with Acanac but not everyone has that same issue and that is the whole reason i made this posting, I don't work for acanac and don't know who Paul or Amelda is.

If you don't believe me feel free to PM me and I will prove it to you
actually i do have a problem with them. many users on here do.
when a company charges an entire year on my CC without my consent and then decides not to answer their emails and never calls back i'm pretty sure that would leave a sour taste on your mouth too.
when a company sells you a service that never works properly and constantly is not the speed advertised and they knowingly throttle the speed down then deny and act like nothing is going on. that is called false advertisement.
you may not work for them but you cannot say your not affiliated. you can claim anything you want but do you honestly expect me to believe anything you say after all the shady crap this company has pulled in the past? nope.
preach that elsewhere. and as loserga said. this is exactly what is gonna happen and i am not going to let any other RFD member walk into a landmine of a company like them. there is a reason many ppl hate this company.
those google links and even those websites that are dedicated to them are there for a reason. i didn't make any of those either. those are from actual ex customers that like me have been burned and feel they should warn ppl of the joke of a company they are. go look around for some reviews and i guarantee majority will be bad.

don't say i didn't warn you a few weeks down the road.
a quick search for "acanac" on dslr shows this page... and a quick scan thru the results are not pretty.
http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?q=aca ... tt36204566
buckle up cuz your in for a ride.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2012
28 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
Fair Enough but you can't hate on me because I am telling people about my service so far.

I understand I am still within the 30 day window in which I am able to cancel, and maybe that is why my service is still good, but i haven't had any issues so far and I plan to keep updating this thread and telling ppl if I experience problems or not.

To be honest I am glad there are ppl out there like you to post and inform everyone but i think you are a little paranoid and pushing the boundries when you say I am affiliated with Acanac or I work for them.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2460 posts
178 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
TDotAvenger wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 4:03 pm
Fair Enough but you can't hate on me because I am telling people about my service so far.

I understand I am still within the 30 day window in which I am able to cancel, and maybe that is why my service is still good, but i haven't had any issues so far and I plan to keep updating this thread and telling ppl if I experience problems or not.

To be honest I am glad there are ppl out there like you to post and inform everyone but i think you are a little paranoid and pushing the boundries when you say I am affiliated with Acanac or I work for them.
If the mods here could track IPs, then we'd be able to verify that.
× < >

Top