Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 10, 2016
313 posts
33 upvotes
Markham, ON

ACCA in Canada

Anyone opted for ACCA instead of the usual CPA?

I heard someone at CA Ontario (now CPA Ontario) said that ACCA is like a parasite. They go to each country and leech from the local professional accounting body. Leech means stealing students from them, which translates to stealing tuition fees.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2490 posts
427 upvotes
ValueInvestor wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 1:58 pm

I heard someone at CA Ontario (now CPA Ontario) said that ACCA is like a parasite. They go to each country and leech from the local professional accounting body. Leech means stealing students from them, which translates to stealing tuition fees.
Pretty much. Associations are businesses, CPA has been scaring candidates and spreading misinformation like "ACCA is not recognized in Canada", "hiring managers don't know what the ACCA is", and the mutual agreement between CGA and ACCA is ending. If you are interested in working abroad, ACCA is a great idea and widely recognized around the world. Plus you can convert it back to the CPA anyways.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2016
313 posts
33 upvotes
Markham, ON
But ACCA is not well recognized in Canada. Most jobs ask for CGA, CMA, CA, CPA.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2490 posts
427 upvotes
ValueInvestor wrote:
Feb 18th, 2016 1:42 pm
But ACCA is not well recognized in Canada. Most jobs ask for CGA, CMA, CA, CPA.
Bags of lies.

ACCA is recognized and prior to the CPA merger, it was easy to convert to CGA with just two papers to write and money to pay. Converting the CGA to ACCA is the same process should you go work in the UK or any Commonwealth nation.

Those who don't recognize the ACCA don't know what it is, simply put.

If you plan on working abroad, ACCA is recommended.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2016
313 posts
33 upvotes
Markham, ON
bhrm wrote:
Feb 18th, 2016 2:21 pm
Bags of lies.

ACCA is recognized and prior to the CPA merger, it was easy to convert to CGA with just two papers to write and money to pay. Converting the CGA to ACCA is the same process should you go work in the UK or any Commonwealth nation.

Those who don't recognize the ACCA don't know what it is, simply put.

If you plan on working abroad, ACCA is recommended.
I think you can still convert to CGA-CPA under the same agreement. CPA doesn't care anymore, all they want is that $1,000+ annual membership fee. If obtained CGA-CPA under such agreement, one has to pay both annual membership fees.

I believe the topic was about, is ACCA useful in Canada?
Feb 7, 2012
5 posts
Victoria
ValueInvestor wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 1:58 pm

CPA is a parasite as well. The CPA association is trying to get a monopoly in Canada so they can charge accountants outrageous fees for very little in return. In my province I pay $ 1,200 in basic membership fee. The PD opportunities are extremely expensive. If you are in "public practice" you pay extra fees such as handbook fees, public registration fees, etc.
The excuse is always the same. CPA pretends to "protect the public", forgetting in the meantime that most tax returns and year ends are done by entities such as H&R block who hire totally uneducated people.
Dec 6, 2017
3 posts
Hello All,

May i know if i have just gotten my CPA Canada using my ACCA membership (under MRA), would i need to comply with the CPA CPD requirement on 3 years rolling requirements?

I got CPA membership in Year 2017, do i need to comply 2017,2016,2015 rolling requirements?

Anyone experience please help! Much appreciated! :)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1859 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
jojo10261 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:58 pm
Hello All,

May i know if i have just gotten my CPA Canada using my ACCA membership (under MRA), would i need to comply with the CPA CPD requirement on 3 years rolling requirements?

I got CPA membership in Year 2017, do i need to comply 2017,2016,2015 rolling requirements?

Anyone experience please help! Much appreciated! :)
It would be from the year you started. There are tons of free PD on CPA Canada site.
Dec 6, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, raichu1.

I just gotten a reply from CPA Alberta saying the below:- and I was shocked. Why do I have to report 3 years rolling to CPA, this is between ACCA and me.

Since you’ve been a member of ACCA since December 2012, you are not eligible for the new member CPD exemption. You will need to meet the full one year and 3 year rolling CPD requirements for 2017. You may use the CPD hours that you report to ACCA for your CPA AB CPD Reporting.

One year requirement: 20 CPD hours; 10 being verifiable
3 year rolling requirement: 120 CPD hours; 60 being verifiable.
The 3 year rolling will comprise of 2017, 2016, 2015

May I know in your first year of submitting CPD for CPA, do you encounter any issue by just declaring only the 1st year at least 10 verifiable hours?
Appreciate your comment and help ! Thanks a lot!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1859 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
jojo10261 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:49 pm
Thanks for the quick reply, raichu1.

I just gotten a reply from CPA Alberta saying the below:- and I was shocked. Why do I have to report 3 years rolling to CPA, this is between ACCA and me.

May I know in your first year of submitting CPD for CPA, do you encounter any issue by just declaring only the 1st year at least 10 verifiable hours?
Appreciate your comment and help ! Thanks a lot!
Damn!

I was told that they don't really prorate the PDs, so the year your get your designation to make sure that I did 20 PD. CPA Ontario ask me if I had 20 PD hours completed which I did. It is just a yes/ no question on the website. They may just for kicks, decide to audit your ACCA plus CPA PDs.

Good news is that you can do 60 PD max this year if you are missing PD. Bad news, is that you are going to have to do 60 PD hours for the rest of December so bye- bye weekends plus an unhappy wallet unless you know where to look.

If not, you are looking a possible suspension.
Dec 6, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for the reply!
I have followed the ACCA Approved Employer CPD route for the past years, which is the employer development and appraisal process. I have documented the learning activities, keep emails and company’s performance appraisal. Hope that’s all ok for verifiable hours. I feel surprise I’m applicable to the 3 years rolling while I didn’t even have the CPA title back then.. it’s between me and ACCA...
Anyway, no choice for that!

Still able to enjoy my weekends ...hehe.. just need to finish few more hours by doing the free cpd courses. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1859 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
You should submit one of those Employer CPD to the CPA Alberta "compliance" to see if they will accept it as is.