Locked: Access to own infraction list

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2021 12:30 pm
Tags:
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes

Access to own infraction list

How a forum member can access their own infractions record, and find out when any of them expire?

For example, I have a situation where a forum mod perceived my post to contain a prohibited word, and gave 2 infraction points despite it was the 1st time ever. My subsequent posts were delayed with default message stating they need moderator approval. But the same moderator refused to review and approve any of my subsequent posts despite they did not contain any prohibited content, and I specifically verified it with published forum rules. When I asked the mod, why she failed to review my new posts, she never answered. Instead, she placed me into a penalty box without any notification of new violations or prohibitive conduct claiming my infractions reached 10 (this is bare minimum by rules), and without telling when the penalty expires. I believe it was done to avoid doing her duties in reviewing and approving forum member posts.

I specifically avoid to post the mod forum nickname as it may be viewed unethical, so not prohibited by forum rules as I checked today. But it raises reasonable questions:

- how forum members are protected from moderation abuse as in the above example?
- where forum members can find out what accomplishments placed a certain mod into the privileged moderation sits allowing to suppress other members?
- where a forum member can check her infractions list with expire date of each?

I also suggest the following:

- setup a closed forum for communication of forum members with moderation team. On this forum the members who received a penalty, would be able to file a public appeal for review not only by the admin, but all other mods. This way, if a forum mod abused her privileges, the open discussion would serve a positive discipline role for other mods, and restrain everyone from making frivolousness decisions or falsifying (enhancing) other members record afterwards to justify the abuse. Under current system, only forum admin knows about violations committed by mods, and lack of public exposure leads to more abuse.

Now someone can ask - how its possible for a mod to violate forum rules, or more accurately - how you can possibly have a courage to expose such violation to the public? The answer is - its mandatory for any adjudication process to have a balancing appeal process. Indeed, some judges may violate the law as we all know from media reports, and some even go to jail for criminal conduct. Another known phenomena at times reported by media and public - cases of police brutality and misconduct. This is also decided in open public court hearings instead of being hidden from the public, thus preventing other "rule enforcers" from even bigger privileges abuse. In this case, I simply suggest to limit the exposure to a common discussion among the moderation team, so its limited exposure without causing broader public doubt in the conduct of the forum adjudicators. In any way its better than current completely closed system.
5 replies
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
- how forum members are protected from moderation abuse as in the above example?
By sending a note to @TomRFD , the forum admin, if you feel you've been wronged.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2007
5145 posts
21531 upvotes
Toronto
Hi there,

I'll be honest this is the first time I came across your username, so I've decided to take a quick look since you seem upset. We don't want that! ;)
arnycus wrote: How a forum member can access their own infractions record, and find out when any of them expire?
It should be under your profile labeled as "Infractions" where you're able to see all of your infractions and expiry dates as well. If you're unable to see them then let me know and i'll send all the info to you.

For example, I have a situation where a forum mod perceived my post to contain a prohibited word, and gave 2 infraction points despite it was the 1st time ever.
True! First time ever receiving an infraction for swearing.

My subsequent posts were delayed with default message stating they need moderator approval.
That's because, you've reached 10 points which is the golden way into PB. Everyone who racks up 10 active points go there automatically.

But the same moderator refused to review and approve any of my subsequent posts despite they did not contain any prohibited content, and I specifically verified it with published forum rules.
When you're in PB, all of your posts merged into a "pending posts queue" and that queue only gets cleared when someone has the time to go through them. Yes, sometimes takes a while unfortunately.

When I asked the mod, why she failed to review my new posts, she never answered. Instead, she placed me into a penalty box without any notification of new violations or prohibitive conduct claiming my infractions reached 10 (this is bare minimum by rules), and without telling when the penalty expires. I believe it was done to avoid doing her duties in reviewing and approving forum member posts.
The Mod who gave you the 2 point infraction did not placed you into PB. The system did. You weren't placed in PB manually (I don't even think we could do that). Like I said, it is done by the system because you've reached the 10 point limit.

I specifically avoid to post the mod forum nickname as it may be viewed unethical, so not prohibited by forum rules as I checked today. But it raises reasonable questions:

There was no abuse as far as I can tell. You were caught using words that is not appropriate and it was directed towards other users.
- where forum members can find out what accomplishments placed a certain mod into the privileged moderation sits allowing to suppress other members?
Suppress? I don't believe that, sorry.
- where a forum member can check her infractions list with expire date of each?
Like I said it before, it should be under your profile.

I also suggest the following:

- setup a closed forum for communication of forum members with moderation team. On this forum the members who received a penalty, would be able to file a public appeal for review not only by the admin, but all other mods. This way, if a forum mod abused her privileges, the open discussion would serve a positive discipline role for other mods, and restrain everyone from making frivolousness decisions or falsifying (enhancing) other members record afterwards to justify the abuse. Under current system, only forum admin knows about violations committed by mods, and lack of public exposure leads to more abuse.
You've a ability to PM Admins and Mods. You could even do a PM with more recipients so Admins & Mods are all able to see and read your vent/disagreement/plea or even on how that particular Mod "abused" her/his title against you. :/
I can assure you that us Mods do answer to Admins when questioned. Public exposure is something that is just silly imo and we've this section as well to post your concerns. Let's say, if you're not satisfied with the infraction that you've received, send a PM and i'll explain to you why it was issued. You still don't agree? Well, then time to send a PM to TomRFD who will then take a closer look. He will eventually and he'll question the Mod in question. It happens all the time. Winking Face

Now someone can ask - how its possible for a mod to violate forum rules, or more accurately - how you can possibly have a courage to expose such violation to the public? The answer is - its mandatory for any adjudication process to have a balancing appeal process. Indeed, some judges may violate the law as we all know from media reports, and some even go to jail for criminal conduct. Another known phenomena at times reported by media and public - cases of police brutality and misconduct. This is also decided in open public court hearings instead of being hidden from the public, thus preventing other "rule enforcers" from even bigger privileges abuse. In this case, I simply suggest to limit the exposure to a common discussion among the moderation team, so its limited exposure without causing broader public doubt in the conduct of the forum adjudicators. In any way its better than current completely closed system.
Do you want to talk about all of your Infractions over here openly and let the public to see why they were issued? Would you like full exposure? Doubt it and quite frankly not even sure what you're trying to accomplish/prove.
Anyway, the mod did nothing wrong imo, it's not the Mods fault that you've racked up more than 10 points in a really short timespan.

A PM to TomRFD is your best bet.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: By sending a note to @TomRFD , the forum admin, if you feel you've been wronged.
Thanks for the suggestion.
MTommy wrote: Public exposure is something that is just silly imo.
Interesting comments. I expected something along these lines, as people usually tend to defend their group privileges. But can't agree that "public exposure is silly". When a law enforcement official takes a bribe, her expectation is it won't be exposed to the public, as such exposure is often the only way to prevent this from happening again and again, when all other avenues may and in fact often tend to fail without it. This is real life experience - mine, but possibly yours is different.

However in this case the reason for my above post was more prosaic - some discussions on this forum are complex enough as they touch serious social problems & consumer protection subjects, where certain regular members tend to collude and manipulate & defraud public opinion and mods for personal gain. Simply reading a certain post word by word without familiarity with the subject and people who alerted the mod may result in an unjustified action, which afterwards is near impossible to admit. However, I indeed apologized to the mod for the word chosen whether right or wrong. And I posted above only because she refused to detail, what infractions I currently have and when they expire. Then she categorically refused to review my new posts after giving the infraction points. That led to assumption the only purpose of her giving these points was to block my posts on this forum entirely - and this contradicts Forum Rules and the purpose of the Infraction System - to promote more polite attitude, but not shut up a person completely for expressing a different opinion. And because I can't see Infractions option in my Profile, then I can't exclude she may have added more points to previously given infractions to make total exceed the threshold and refresh the expire dates.

These are working assumptions, may be unfounded, but expected in my view due to refusal to disclose any infractions details or act as expected from a mod in reviewing new posts, if she really wanted to help correct posting style. I view it as an attempt to suppress certain opinion - and this is despite they are shared by most other members, and the Government of the involved provinces, when it comes to housing bubbles. So YES, pls send me a PM as you offered, outlining date / points / cause / expire of each infraction ever given on this forum. Thanks for your desire to help. Winking Face
May 10, 2017
340 posts
58 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
... And because I can't see Infractions option in my Profile, ...
When you move cursor over your avatar in the top right corner, there is drop-down menu starting with "Profile", click on Setting then go to bottom left of "Edit Profile & Settings" you will see "Infractions" and "Infraction List".
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2018
1309 posts
440 upvotes
Markham ON
nixrfd wrote: When you move cursor over your avatar in the top right corner, there is drop-down menu starting with "Profile", click on Setting then go to bottom left of "Edit Profile & Settings" you will see "Infractions" and "Infraction List".
Thank you, that really helped me calm down LOL.
Thumbs up!
Think Less, Imagine More
Imagine Not Being A University Of Waterloo Computer Engineering Dropout...😃
Costco is Bliss

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)