None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5150 posts
1007 upvotes
Toronto

Accessories needed for first DSLR purchase

So, I'm looking to make my first DSLR purchase soon, starting with just the kit lens (most likely). It'll likely be a Sony A200, but that choice is taking way too much research/effort. But never mind that.

What accessories are a must have for DSLR owners?

A Bag? I think I've settled on a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home, unless you can convince me otherwise, or have other better/cheaper suggestions.

Filters? No idea here about what I need.

Batteries? Do I really need an extra? I don't really plan to be shooting for extended periods of time.

Lens Cleaners?

Anything else you can think of thats a must have?

Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3135 posts
114 upvotes
Mississauga
A Bag? I think I've settled on a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home, unless you can convince me otherwise, or have other better/cheaper suggestions.

I have the Lowepro AW200 which is a great bag. I heard the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home are great bags but aren't they just shoulder bags? The Lowepro AW200 essentially is worn as a backpack and fits up to 4 lenses, camera + accessories.

Filters? No idea here about what I need.

I don't use a filter but filters generally protect the front lens from getting damage and flare. Use a lens hood which should be more than sufficient.

Batteries? Do I really need an extra? I don't really plan to be shooting for extended periods of time.

Well the A200 claims it can shoot up to 700 (?) pictures per battery but when you're AF and using the flash a lot that can diminish the picture count significantly. I picked up an extra battery because I feel at ease knowing that a fresh battery is ready to go when I need one - especially when on vacation. So it depends on you...

Lens Cleaners?

Get a blower for inside of your camera to blow off dust (sensor/mirror) and the Lens Pen to clean any finger prints/marks on your lens front glass.

Anything else you can think of thats a must have?

All depends on what you want to do with the camera. Tripod perhaps? Macro lenses? Zoom lenses? I picked up an extra lens since the kit lens feels like it was built cheaply. I also picked up a flash unit because the body flash is useless. Bottom line is, once you start using the camera you'll know what you need or want.
Sep 2, 2003
428 posts
Toronto
Blackmajik wrote:
Jul 4th, 2008 11:54 am

Bottom line is, once you start using the camera you'll know what you need or want.

I concur; it is best for one to buy accessories after one finds a need for the accessory.

Get the camera, take it out shooting and you will find out what you need. The most basic accessory is the bag.
Jul 19, 2003
731 posts
4 upvotes
Honestly you dont NEED anything to start other then just the filter.

If you just have the camera + kit lens, just throw it over your shoulder and walk out the door. Or throw it into a small backpack with a old t-shirt inside.
don't forget to neuter your pet
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12132 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
Sl300 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 1:43 am
Honestly you dont NEED anything to start other then just the filter.
Honestly, you wouldn't even need the filter right away. A CPL is nice to have but maybe not right at the start.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1360 posts
44 upvotes
I'ld say don't get the bag until you know what else you want (or if you want anymore stuff) Then you don't get stuck with a bag too small or a bag too big.
I don't like connecting the camera to the computer so I have external card readers for the computer.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
i just started a few months ago and these were the basics for me:

camera bag
extra batteries
memory card

then after shooting for a month and taking my dslr on vacation:

battery grip (crucial for any of the rebel series cameras IMO, not sure about sonys)
external flash
lenses (50mm f/1.8 for indoors, 17-50mm f/2.8 walkaround)
uv filter/circular polarizer

more recently:

monopod w/ legs
shutter release cable/remote
telephoto zoom lens (70-200mm f/4)

i bought most of my gear on ebay and used locally. what an expensive and addicting hobby!