Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 19, 2010
206 posts
8 upvotes

Accident, please help me.

Hi,

Girlfriend was driving in my lane, and a car coming from the other side of the lane tried to do a u-turn and hit her car.
what do we do now? please help me.
She called 911 and Insurance..
help us from here. Thank you
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23351 posts
8286 upvotes
Toronto
Don't call 911 if it's not an emergency.

Call your insurance company for further directions of information required.
- You will need the other driver's info. such as insurance company & policy # and expiry date of policy, full driver license info, driver contact phone #, witnesses names & contact #
- Take pics if you have a camera or cell phone for the damages involved.
- If the car require towing, make sure you understand all the towing charges before being hooked up
- Tow to the nearest collision report center, so you can report the incident
- After reporting, have it tow to your dealer or home or your preferred garage
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10891 posts
5317 upvotes
Toronto
Ayoba wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 2:58 pm
Hi,

Girlfriend was driving in my lane, and a car coming from the other side of the lane tried to do a u-turn and hit her car.
what do we do now? please help me.
She called 911 and Insurance help us from here. ..
Thank you
Fixed.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1786 upvotes
the person making a u-turn is always at fault
[OP]
Sep 19, 2010
206 posts
8 upvotes
she just went to the collision center.
but now she's saying her body aches because the other car crashed into the driver's door.

+ just to add, the other car T-Boned her car.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2010
206 posts
8 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 4:08 pm
apparently the driver who caused accident is saying that my girlfriend was driving through red light.
but my girlfriend is saying that she didn't...
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10679 posts
771 upvotes
Brampton
Ayoba wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 4:38 pm
apparently the driver who caused accident is saying that my girlfriend was driving through red light.
but my girlfriend is saying that she didn't...
A witness would have been helpful in this case. Report everything to insurance. Did the cops charge anyone? Tell your gf to go to the hospital/clinic/doc's office to get checked out right away.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7988 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto
It is likely 100% his fault because he A) made an unsafe turn and B) hit you. I don't think red light or not will have any bearing on this.

disclaimer: Yes I know a U-turn is legal turn, I am just saying he did it unsafely.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2698 posts
290 upvotes
Other guys' fault. Don't back down. Did you get a police report? I think your gf is smart for calling 911 because it seems like the other guy is already trying to be a douche. I hope she isn't injured btw.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1260 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 4:08 pm

+1, this is very important. If you can find a witness who saw the other guy doing a u-turn, then you're golden. The fault determination rules of Ontario attribute 100% fault to anyone who gets in a collision while executing a u-turn.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
146 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 3:05 pm
Don't call 911 if it's not an emergency.
Will people please quit saying this on RFD? If you're in an accident, if it's anything more than a fender bender, call 911 emergency or not, the police will decide if it's an emergency.
Aug 18, 2012
22 posts
5 upvotes
TORONTO
Xiaohaibao wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 6:53 pm
Will people please quit saying this on RFD? If you're in an accident, if it's anything more than a fender bender, call 911 emergency or not, the police will decide if it's an emergency.
When I got hit on DVP this summer by some nutjob, an off-duty cop 2 cars behind me came to check on us. He saw no one was hurt and the scene cleared within minutes (all involved to the sides) but still told me to call 911 immediately.

Not saying who is right, but just what I was told to do.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7979 posts
902 upvotes
More than likely the damage is over $1000 so going to an accident reporting centre would probably be out of the question so it would've been wise to call the police and report the accident at the scene. If this was not done, make sure you go to the nearest accident reporting station Friday morning and report it.

Hopefully you were able to get the name of any witnesses. There may have been cameras located near or around that intersection so check and report this to the police as well for evidence retrieval. You could also post an ad on Kijiji and Craigslist as well as on RFD asking if anyone was present at that particular intersection and if they had witnessed the accident, could they please email you.

In closing, you don't have anything to worry about. If the other driver doesn't have any witnesses swearing that you had gone through a red (and I doubt that he/she does) you have the right of way regardless.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2010
206 posts
8 upvotes
thank you guys for helping us out.
the damage is about $9500 from MB.

She is in some discomfort throughout her body.
Insurance company said $900 for rental and MB said 3weeks to fix it.

Any advice from here?