Automotive

Accident: TTC bus almost T-boned me.. What are my options?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 12:27 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1220 posts
268 upvotes
Woodbridge

Accident: TTC bus almost T-boned me.. What are my options?

Driving southbound on Jane, 3 lanes, I am in furthest right lane, see 2 busses stopped at pick-up spot dropping/picking up passengers.
Proceed to make left-lane change (now in middle of three lanes) to avoid stopped busses, bus closest to me turns on signal indicating plan to depart from terminal,
I see this and proceed to make another lane change into furthest left lane, bus continues to depart from terminal and passes both lanes in one motion, proceeding to hit my mid/back right-side, bus is shown occupying all three lanes in photos, indicative of double abrupt lane change (driver denies).

Driver clearly did not look before departing into 2nd lane, maybe he did for first-lane but there is no way you cannot see a vehicle in-front of you, 2 lanes to the left of your respective lane unless you are completely out to lunch.

TTC driving at first tries to argue yield rule applies, my logic is yielding should not apply as I am:

1. 2-Lanes away from departing bus
2. Passing/Past the TTC bus.

TTC supervisor shows up, takes statement, provides TTC insurance details, proceed to tow car, report accident etc.

Now I drive a 2013 Genesis coupe with damage likely in the neighbourhood of $6000-10000 (can't tell if any structural issue yet).
Car even if repaired will become a nightmare to sell, no one in their right mind would want $15,000-17,000 sports car with that large of an accident.

What are my options here? Don't feel like I should be penalized for this drivers mistake but any outcome seems like I am going to be at a loss financially.

Will include photos soon, any suggestions wanted and welcomed.
57 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3214 posts
1872 upvotes
GTA
Shitty situation. Unfortunately without dash cam you may be found at least partially at fault for not yielding since it looks like it's your word vs his. Are there any other witnesses?
Please post photos and google map of location.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20791 posts
1809 upvotes
Best of luck claiming dimishished value. Your bigger concern will be the at fault.
Oct 20, 2010
310 posts
36 upvotes
dont TTC buses have their own cameras(that face the exit doors? if so, even if it didnt have the accident on tape, it will have the vehicle movement across lanes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1220 posts
268 upvotes
Woodbridge
Dash cam not on, plenty of photos to come..

First accident, a little shook, just trying to get any help thanks for the replies.

Edit: Asked TTV supervisor if cameras were active and had any view of road; yes they were, no I cannot see them, but they will review them.
Jun 4, 2016
105 posts
37 upvotes
Take it to the news. TTC always gives in when they have bad spotlight on them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1220 posts
268 upvotes
Woodbridge
molombian wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:13 am
Take it to the news. TTC always gives in when they have bad spotlight on them.

Is it too late the day after?
Mar 17, 2016
333 posts
205 upvotes
You should have insisted to have TTC driver tested for drinking lol

But I hope you are found not at fault here. It could be tricky with TTC. I am assuming you already contacted your insurance. Bring up the diminished resale value to your insurance guy but I think you most likely will have to eat those costs like with any regular accident.

I don't think going to try news will help. These things happen all the time. Best leave it to the insurance to fight this
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
4929 posts
475 upvotes
I see buses do this all the time in Brampton as well. They have a stop on the right side of three lanes and then just swerve across all traffic to get to the turning lane 50m up.

Hopefully with photos + the fact he hit your mid to rear section would keep the TTC driver at fault
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14223 posts
3416 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
This kind of ****ery is the reason that I have front and rear cams.

Anyone tries to spin things in their favour.....stfu, the eye in the sky sees all.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6372 posts
2715 upvotes
Markham
I am not convinced that you won't be found at fault here. There will be an argument that you disregarded the "yield" sign/law, since this is Toronto.

Good luck. There is no way to argue diminished return on your car. But if it's any consolation, used Genesis aren't really flying off the lots, so you'll most likely drive this car into the ground.
Apr 24, 2011
228 posts
39 upvotes
Scarborough
You are supposed to yield but he hit your rear quarter meaning that he turned right into you. Not that I have any legal or expert opinion on this but if he hit your rear quarter, that means you've already passed him and he made a dangerous lane change without checking. Even emergency vehicles with sirens on are supposed to check before safely (keyword: safely) proceeding.

On another note, how fast was he darting into your lane to cause 6K worth of damage to your car? Unless I'm picturing this incorrectly

Good luck OP
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6372 posts
2715 upvotes
Markham
axis81 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:40 am
You are supposed to yield but he hit your rear quarter meaning that he turned right into you. Not that I have any legal or expert opinion on this but if he hit your rear quarter, that means you've already passed him and he made a dangerous lane change without checking. Even emergency vehicles with sirens on are supposed to check before safely (keyword: safely) proceeding.

On another note, how fast was he darting into your lane to cause 6K worth of damage to your car? Unless I'm picturing this incorrectly

Good luck OP
I think we can probably help more if we saw some pictures. If the rear quarter is damaged to cause 6k of damage, we're talking about new door, wheel/tire, windows, fender, rear bumper, and maybe even the lid. If this is hte case, it could have been OP sliding through the TTC car as the TTC was turning out. This is not a good situation for OP, I think it can easily turn into a 50/50 or entirely OPs fault.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1220 posts
268 upvotes
Woodbridge
Anikiri wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:40 am
I am not convinced that you won't be found at fault here. There will be an argument that you disregarded the "yield" sign/law, since this is Toronto.

Good luck. There is no way to argue diminished return on your car. But if it's any consolation, used Genesis aren't really flying off the lots, so you'll most likely drive this car into the ground.
Photos should clear this part up, was past the vehicle, yield shouldn't apply if I'm already past, 2 lanes to left thats my reasoning at least...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7507 posts
1753 upvotes
Toronto
Hey OP, there was an eerie similar thread on RFD a while ago, I searched but cannot find it. The driver was clipped by a transit bus, I think it was VIA at I believe Finch. He was able to get to view the cameras and was found not at fault, the bus was. Sorry but I couldn't find it. Perhaps someone else remembers the same thread and can either post more details or a link.

It's possible the tags were not even close?
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.