Tags:
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
345 posts
9 upvotes
Markham

Accountant

Hi all,

I am seeking an accountant to do my taxes...my accountant retired after 12 years of doing taxes with him. I am looking for someone long term so I don't need to keep going to someone different every year.

Any recommendations and pricing? Not a fan of H&R Block and stuff llike that

Thanks

Jo
7 replies
Apr 18, 2011
476 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Do your own taxes. This is your opportunity to start this tax season. It is easier than you think.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
You can pickup Turbotax for nominal $ and do it yourself quite easily. The software has a wizard that basically asks you everything an accountant would need to know so you should be fine. You can always look back at previous years to get an idea of what your taxes should look like assuming your life is fairly consistent from year to year.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
I agree that this is a good time to do your taxes yourself. If you choose the right software and if you assemble all relevant documentation, it's quick, easy and affordable.

You may have personal reasons to leave it to a professional and it's perfectly understandable. If this is the case, you would have a better chance of getting recommendations if you specify any particularities about your tax situation (for example if you are self-employed or if you have income from foreign sources) and in which part of Canada you were looking.
Aug 17, 2011
201 posts
164 upvotes
TORONTO
Can't your accountant recommend a colleague? Better than relying on some anonymous forum referral...
May 12, 2014
227 posts
86 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Are you self-employed/ incorporated, having business income, rental income, showing expenses? If your answer is No and you rely on couple of slips like T4s/T5s/RRSP/etc. etc. I strongly recommend to do your taxes yourself. Just grab a software fill-in all the details and e-file, you are done.
Nov 24, 2015
559 posts
182 upvotes
i agree, doing your own taxes is pretty easy especially with the free software available out there like studiotax

Look here under "Free Software"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Unless you have a very complex tax situation just do them yourself. Even paper tax returns (for simple situations) are easy, but the software which anyone can get now is almost idiot-proof anyways.