Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
235 posts
89 upvotes
CALGARY

Accutane

Every doctor I have seen seems to recommend it.
Figured I'd make a thread about it and we can all have a hot debate on a controversial drug.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6240 posts
1390 upvotes
It's a pretty scary drug (at least to me), but if you have moderate-severe acne that hasn't responded to other things, then maybe it's worth a try. :(
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1200 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I took it as a young adult. Cleared my severe acne right up.
Other than attempting suicide a few times, I had no major side effects.
J/K. No suicide attempts.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1575 posts
122 upvotes
My cousin took this for so many years.

He did have extreme cystic acne and it did help him a lot. However, it really took a toll on his liver.

Everyone reacts differently but if numerous doctors are recommending it, give it a shot
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2005
2995 posts
124 upvotes
Mtl
Took in twice in my late teens to clear up cystic acne that would not respond to any other medication/antibiotic. You have to go in for routine blood work and be very careful with exposure to the sun (i took it in winter for this reason) but it works like nothing else.
Price errors are the only real sales :)
I refused to be gouged by canadian retailers when purchases can be made in the U.S for a LOT less..
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1095 posts
251 upvotes
London
heat?? wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 7:16 pm
My cousin took this for so many years.
He did have extreme cystic acne and it did help him a lot. However, it really took a toll on his liver.
Accutane is something you're only suppose to be on for a couple of months at a time not YEARS.

Depending on your body Accutane will clear everything up at the cost of numerous side effects but it's not a guaranteed solution. I took it in my late teens but after I was off the drug, it came back eventually. I switched to Erythromycin, which worked a bit as well. I would exhaust every other option before Accutane because that road ain't pretty. It's a physically and psychologically draining so not sure if I would recommend it.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3604 posts
552 upvotes
It was the only thing that worked for me. Well worth for me, despite the side effects (dryness, light-headedness). Took it 10+ yrs. ago.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
2660 posts
19 upvotes
416 to the 905
I took two separate accutane courses in my early 20s because my cystic acne was not responding to the other types of prescription medications (both oral and topical). After careful discussion with my doctor, we decided that we would give it a go. FYI - each course typically last six months in length and if you don't have insurance coverage it can become quite costly.

As other posters have stated, you need to do bi-weekly blood tests to ensure that your liver is functioning correctly. While on the drug you must be careful when exposed to the sun and because the medication is processed through your liver, you are not suppose to be consuming any alcohol while on it.

I didn't get any of the side affects that were mentioned in the booklet other than the dry peeling skin. If your acne is severe enough and you have tried everything else without success, I suggest you give this a go. I've been acne free since my second course and that was nearly 5/6yrs ago.
The Cell Phone Plan: Unlimited: Incoming and Outgoing / Canada Wide Long Distance / Caller ID / Voicemail / 6GB Data
The Devices: OnePlus 3 64GB / iPad Mini Retina 16GB / Apple MacBook Pro 13.3'
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5246 posts
1115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I've used it and it has dramatically reduced excess face and hair oiliness as well as the acne itself. I used to have a stress acne problem where traditional methods like benzroyl peroxide did not remedy the problem.

That being said it dries your body right up, especially at your lips. I have to use a lip balm every 1-2 hours or else they crack and bleed. Also have to go in for monthly blood tests.
Consultant & Class 1 Operator
- Oilfield Services - Operations - IT - Recruitment - Financial - Safety -
Serving Western Canada since 2013

To network, or for my website and personal blog, shoot me a message.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4664 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
the negative side effects outweighs the benefits...
unless you have severe acne to the point that is life threatening, you should probably adjust your diet, use topical creams and wait it out.

How old are you by the way? Acne in your teens is perfectly normal.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2005
2995 posts
124 upvotes
Mtl
yesstyle wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 11:42 pm
unless you have severe acne to the point that is life threatening, you should probably adjust your diet, use topical creams and wait it out.

Obviously you've never dealt with severe acne. Not everyone will respond to oral or topical antibiotics. Also, prolonged acne will cause scarring (which I have). I'd like to see how you react when you get bright red cysts the size of a quarter on your face (which easily last over a month)

Accutane caused severe dryness in my face, scalp, hands and lips, as well as worsening of the acne during the first few months of treatment. I could literally peel off large pieces of skin from my face for a while. Friends which had also taken it had the same side effects. That being said, if I had to do it again, I definitely would. Acne takes a huge toll on a someone's self esteem. The decision to take the medication isn't to be be taken lightly, but if all else fails, I would recommend it.
Price errors are the only real sales :)
I refused to be gouged by canadian retailers when purchases can be made in the U.S for a LOT less..
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
235 posts
89 upvotes
CALGARY
yesstyle wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 11:42 pm

21. Prescribed topical creams have some effect but dry out the skin and don't really stop new acne from forming, not to mention cystic acne.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2954 posts
438 upvotes
findmesumdealz wrote:
Jan 14th, 2015 7:44 am
21. Prescribed topical creams have some effect but dry out the skin and don't really stop new acne from forming, not to mention cystic acne.
I have never taken Accutane but did suffer from extreme cystic acne so do understand the issue with self-esteem.

I also have naturally - emphasis on the "naturally" very dry skin - always have had - but that did not stop the cystic acne.

Accutane (or the generic form that is now available) will most definitely dry out your skin - and you will need to have your liver checked before a script will be repeated (and you would also have to be pre-cleared to take Accutane).

I obviously use very hydrating and moisturizing skin care but you might have the issue that I had when one side of my usually slow thyroid went nuts for 2 years - my regular creams did not work - just added to the terrible skin issues that I suffered during those 2 years - I was about 48 at the time.

I do suffer from facial and ocular rosacea so am very careful about what I use.

I guess only you can decide what to do. You could try Accutane and see if it helps - it has helped many - others not so much.

Certainly people use all sorts of other actives on their faces - prescription strength acids etc. - I can't use any of that stuff. And it dries other their skins as well, so you are cursed either way.

I wish you luck - I know how it feels. Actually, you might look at what you are eating/drinking at the moment to see if there are certain triggers. I can't use anything "natural", or with strong fragrance or fragrance maskers, most botanicals and definitely not acids - and this includes Vitamin C, lactic acid and up. With today's emphasis on botanicals and actives it does make finding products difficult and whenever I find something it is usually reformulated or discontinued.

I have no issues with milk - as long as I cook it and it is organic. Same with sugar. But SOY anything will cause major skin flare-ups - even at my age now.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1722 posts
551 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You should take accutane if you have bad and persistent acne/boils.

Let's see a pic of your face and then we can decide. A few pimples here and there does not warrant accutane.