None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7634 posts
2013 upvotes
Toronto
stovetop wrote:
Jan 14th, 2015 2:34 pm
You should take accutane if you have bad and persistent acne/boils.

Let's see a pic of your face and then we can decide. A few pimples here and there does not warrant accutane.
:facepalm:
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
May 11, 2016
49 posts
29 upvotes
Bumping an old thread, because this seemed the most relevant in the search results.

Saw a new GP (she has a "diploma" in dermatology) about my hormonal cystic acne. I would not say its extreme, but moderate/persistent for about 10 years now; two bigger ones around that time of the month and smaller ones. I've tried a lot of topical creams and did not react well to Diane (BC) in terms of side effects. I went in hoping to experiment with other BC, but she said with my family's history of breast cancer that BC is not an option. So she said her best recommendation would be Accutane. I was hesitant because i've read such awful things before, so now i'm doing more research.

My main concern now is relapse/re-occurence rates after the first treatment cycle. I can handle the dry lips/nose bleeds, but i don't want to do the whole process if its all for naught. Any opinions/experiences on the matter would be great.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8155 posts
862 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I had severe acne into my 20s and I tried a cycle of accutane. I didn't have any major side-effects aside from the usual dryer...well everything lol. What was nice is that I had really greasy hair before and accutance kind of helped with that.

After the cycle most of it had cleared it and while I do occasionally get a few breakouts, it's not nearly as severe as before. We're talking a couple pimples every now and then vs full on pizza face I used to have sometimes.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1021 posts
93 upvotes
Same experience as the above poster. I took it 20 odd years ago and do not regret it at all. The listed side effects were intimidating, however the worst i had was the dry lips and face. Definitely was not for naught in my case, i had cystic acne and accutane was the only thing that worked short and long term. I still get a minor breakout here and there but nothing compared to what I used to get before the medication.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1891 posts
582 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Not really a dangerous drug...take it as prescribed and follow the precautions and you are good to go.
Nov 30, 2007
203 posts
29 upvotes
I went on accutane for one cycle when I was in my late teens and it worked like magic. Side effects were minimal compared to the results - it drastically improved my self confidence at the time. I did get the occasional breakout and pimple after.

My brother also went on accutane however, mild acne returned a short time after his first cycle and he had to take a second time. I don't think he's experienced any long term side effects.

I'm pretty confident that you'll respond well to it.. update us with how it's going for you.
Mar 4, 2008
333 posts
39 upvotes
BC
hoolifailure wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 1:18 am
Bumping an old thread, because this seemed the most relevant in the search results.

Saw a new GP (she has a "diploma" in dermatology) about my hormonal cystic acne. I would not say its extreme, but moderate/persistent for about 10 years now; two bigger ones around that time of the month and smaller ones. I've tried a lot of topical creams and did not react well to Diane (BC) in terms of side effects. I went in hoping to experiment with other BC, but she said with my family's history of breast cancer that BC is not an option. So she said her best recommendation would be Accutane. I was hesitant because i've read such awful things before, so now i'm doing more research.

My main concern now is relapse/re-occurence rates after the first treatment cycle. I can handle the dry lips/nose bleeds, but i don't want to do the whole process if its all for naught. Any opinions/experiences on the matter would be great.

I had severe cystic acne. Had major self-esteem issues...it's kinda hard to feel & look good when you got a couple bulging cysts on your face, shoulders, neck, back. Had it for years and was left with a few souvenirs of scars. Did the whole Accutane thing. Went on 2 cycles because the first one was managed by a family doctor that didn't give me the right dosage. Second dose was from a dermatologist. From MY experience, yes, it did help, but it was not 100%, it did lessen the occurrence of the cysts though. From my own personal experience, if I were to do it again, I wouldn't go on Accutane. There's too many possibilities of negative side effects, which in my belief, I think my IBS issues stem from taking Accutane. Also, because of the dry lips & nose, I kind of became addicted to lip balm and still use it because I haven't been able to not have dry lips or a nose (nose bleeds sometimes). Earlier this year I was diagnosed with Psoriasis. Not sure if there is a correlation between taking Accutane and getting Psoriasis, but it is possible and with a quick google search, it could possibly be. No one knows. Short term gains, but long term side effects. Up to you decide, but I wouldn't recommend it.

HOWEVER, I started looking into how to take care of my skin properly (being young dude, I didn't think much of it). Getting a fascial clenser & moisturizer was pretty important. Showering right after any sweating activity (I go to the gym & play sports a lot) helped me tremendously. I tried a few topical creams (before & after Accutane), but it was probably about 5-6 years ago when I found this cleanser system by Paula's Choice. I don't work for the company or anything, but I can't praise enough how much it helped a lot (esp. for a lesser invasive type of treatment compared to Accutane).

https://www.paulaschoice.com/clear-regu ... ne&start=1

It was approx. 5-6 yrs ago I bought this stuff, not sure if the ingredients have changed. But that stuff helped me a lot. Not sure if the reviews are fake, but there's a lot of positive ones, which one of them is mine from a long time ago with a 5 star rating. Now that my acne is controlled (probably lesser hormone shit going on, older age), I just use a gel fascial cleanser from The Green Beaver Company (sometimes can find at Winners) and found that one to work the best compared to a bunch of others. If I do a lot of sweating and don't shower and use Green Beaver clenser, in a few days I WILL get a zit or two. But then once using the clenser, it will clear up in approx. 2 days.

PM me if anyone wants further info on my experience. But I am just one of millions that have gone through the acne problem.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16482 posts
1458 upvotes
Space for rent
Have you tried any cycle of Tetracycline? Try a few cycles if you haven't and see the results. It worked great for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2626 posts
288 upvotes
Vancouver
hoolifailure wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 1:18 am

Hormonal acne is the worst. :( I feel you. I thought Accutane would be the answer to all my problems and sure, it was for probably a good 1.5 yrs after but then slowly my hormonal acne came back with a vengence. Like you, it was bad around the time of the month where some big pimples would pop up and topicals won't do anything for it, and by the time it finally goes away after a week or 2, it's time for the time of the month again. Disappointed But Relieved Face

Look into spironolactone. I took that for almost a year and didn't have too many side effects. If you're wanting something more natural, I read that people had luck with spearmint tea / spearmint pills.

My derm also prescribed me the topicals tactupump (differin / benzoyl peroxide) and aczone.