Computers & Electronics

Acer 24" 144Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2016 4:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4516 posts
2807 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Acer 24" 144Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor worth it?

Hey folks, I've haven't bought a monitor for over 10 years lol. I just ordered this for $279.99+HST after the $20 visa checkout discount from Best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ace ... 4f0dbben02

Is there anything out there that represents a similar value for a similar price? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
28 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1814 posts
572 upvotes
Given the dollar / economy situation, most of the 144hz panels have crept up in price of late.

that one cheapest was 249.99, but its great for the price. comparable to the asus and benq 144hz just cheaper, and not as nice of a stand.

i think it actually uses the same panel as the ASUS VQ24E or whatever it is, might be wrong here but im pretty sure i saw that somewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4516 posts
2807 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Thanks! It appears as though I'll be sticking with this one.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1693 posts
819 upvotes
GTA
Melkor wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 3:27 pm
Thanks! It appears as though I'll be sticking with this one.
As long as you don't have any back light bleed or dead pixels then you should be safe brotha. Is it Freesync 144hz?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11331 posts
1917 upvotes
I paid $220, but that was during Prime Day. It has dropped to $250 on amazon.ca a few times in the past month. That's a little cheaper then BB... if you're willing to wait.

Can't comment on the quality.... I'm currently without a PC. I will say from what I saw when I opened the box, the stand isn't height adjustable.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1814 posts
572 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 8:23 pm
I paid $220, but that was during Prime Day. It has dropped to $250 on amazon.ca a few times in the past month. That's a little cheaper then BB... if you're willing to wait.

Can't comment on the quality.... I'm currently without a PC. I will say from what I saw when I opened the box, the stand isn't height adjustable.
yeah - the other models like the asus have full swivel and height adjustment. if you want these things, might be worth waiting for those to go on sale vs buying this + a vesa mount.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4516 posts
2807 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be building my PC next week when the case comes in. I should have plenty of time to try it out and decide before the return period is over.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1693 posts
819 upvotes
GTA
Melkor wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 6:21 pm
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be building my PC next week when the case comes in. I should have plenty of time to try it out and decide before the return period is over.
Sounds good, hope you enjoy it. If not you could always dump it into a toxic waste container. Though, I wouldn't recommend that. It might void the warranty as it might end up coming out looking like Emil .... ouch Face With Tears Of Joy

* hellllp me *
(sorry I couldn't resist) - its an amazing scene
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4516 posts
2807 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
heyyahblah wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 6:29 pm
Melkor wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 6:21 pm
Sounds good, hope you enjoy it. If not you could always dump it into a toxic waste container. Though, I wouldn't recommend that. It might void the warranty as it might end up coming out looking like Emil .... ouch Face With Tears Of Joy

* hellllp me *
(sorry I couldn't resist) - its an amazing scene
LMAO

I work with a guy that burnt his face with hot grease (not severely, I'm not that cruel lol). Anyways, he had a good burn on his face and I posted that same picture on his work station. it's still there haha. Love that movie!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1693 posts
819 upvotes
GTA
Melkor wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 9:19 pm
LMAO

I work with a guy that burnt his face with hot grease (not severely, I'm not that cruel lol). Anyways, he had a good burn on his face and I posted that same picture on his work station. it's still there haha. Love that movie!
Oh man, I feel bad for your coworker but the fact that he left it up is kinda lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4516 posts
2807 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
haha The best!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
There are many sites online where you can check the quality of the actual panel and who makes it. At that price, the actual colour reproduction, picture quality, brightness, etc might not be that great but you never know.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ is a great site for getting info on panels. There are many other sites with great info as well but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1693 posts
819 upvotes
GTA
+1 Mr. Ford. It's always good to have another source of information regarding panels. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2987 posts
1485 upvotes
Burlington
I have an Acer 1440p, 144hz monitor. The 144hz is amazing, get it. You will not regret it at all.

If it's 1ms i'm assuming it's TN and not IPS, so you're less likely to have BLB. Mine has a bit but it's entirely reasonable.