Expired Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Acer 721-3922 11.6" Notebook for $249.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2012 2:05 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
7569 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Nice. Wish I had Grandparents close enough to me to Pimp out. :)
yao416 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 7:23 pm
Which store is this!!!

I'll bring my grandparents for seniors day discounts. Plus I need some milk too.
Aug 10, 2008
382 posts
73 upvotes
I also have this - got it with my optimum points on a redemption day - this is a good price for what you get. hd movies to tv via hdmi from another pc with no problems. icefilms via xmbc streams great as well. I haven't upgraded my ram and haven't had any issues with opening multiple windows while on the net (occasionally the mousepad has been sluggish on and off - not sure what thats about though i think itunes or xbmc have high cpu usage near the same time, but this is only very infrequently.)

Very happy with it (does run a little hot now and then btw)
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
13730 posts
16375 upvotes
Shoppers has a lower age limit for "seniors" than most places. If you are 55 and older you qualify for the discount.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
15997 posts
1411 upvotes
is this the bigger brother of that ao522-bz499?
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Nov 16, 2011
72 posts
4 upvotes
We got one about 6 weeks back for 189 at shoppers- they priced it wrong so had to give $10 off- so 179. We got it on 20x points day. We also got 12 bags clearance brand name diapers- $10-$5 coupon each per bag down from $22.50-. The lady gave us the points on the before coupon/savings value so we got a total of 96000 points.

Total spent on 12 bags diapers and a netbook- $260- Total redeemed on bonus redemption day- $250
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15096 posts
769 upvotes
usefulidiot wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 6:01 pm
I would also suggest you buy the thing first and have this discussion on here later (unless you have someone at the store holding the thing specifically for you). You could always return it if you decide against it, but buy first, decide if you want it later!
People have had issues returning things to SDM. Basically it's the same deal for Canadian Tire - since stores are franchised the owner/manger has a god complex and will make up rules when s/he feels like it.
consumerPI wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 11:26 pm
You're one up on me since all mine are dead so there's no way I can pimp them for a seniors discount.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10695 posts
1678 upvotes
Toronto
TheHans wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 6:25 pm
You're right -- it does seem rather expensive for something around two years old. And that's the problem. All these retailers are so greedy by not selling these older models for what they should be selling them for. So, in a way, I'm holding out on principle I suppose. I don't need a brand new model and my usage is so basic and I think retailers are taking advantage. For example, if you look here:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... c16177en02

I'm no expert, but on a surface level, this seems about the same as the one from Shoppers for $249.99. Yet Future Shop is selling it for about $80 more. And you're not going to tell me that SDM should be able to offer better prices on electronics than Future Shop. It would be like Future Shop selling Tylenol cheaper than SDM...it would make you wonder...

I actually read the fine print of some SDM deals this week. If I can find a senior to go in with me on Thursday and the computer is still there at SDM, I could get it for about $200 because it's 20% off senior's day. Regardless, between the Optimum points deal and some gift card thing SDM is promoting, the computer's net cost is $239.99 in the worst case scenario, if you consider $10-off cards on future purchases as a discount.

These probably are the identical units. I have seen many instances where FS loses track of old stock and prices remain high even though the stuff is well past the due date. I would not judge value against FS having an out of date price on out of date stock. Personally, I would go with the newer FS offering for $50 more. Also you should consider the fact that the battery in the SDM netbook has been sitting around for some 2 years. Lithium ion batteries age even when not in use.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10695 posts
1678 upvotes
Toronto
yao416 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 7:36 pm
Any comments on this machine?
Your question is too open ended to answer. If you are asking that if I was in the market for a netbook, would this be considered a descent price. My answer would be yes. I have a 2010 vintage 11.6 inch acer netbook that I paid $300 for with specs that lag this one. This is typical of tech toys. Each year price goes down a bit and features go up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1337 posts
311 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
will888 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 4:26 pm
Your question is too open ended to answer. If you are asking that if I was in the market for a netbook, would this be considered a descent price. My answer would be yes. I have a 2010 vintage 11.6 inch acer netbook that I paid $300 for with specs that lag this one. This is typical of tech toys. Each year price goes down a bit and features go up.
I guess what you've said here outlines part of my frustration. There are many people, myself included, who don't need the features to go up and for the prices on higher-featured laptops to go down a bit. They just need the prices to go down appropriately on older stock. It's ridiculous to me, frankly, that a laptop with the features of the one I asked about here originally -- 2 gb ram, single core processor, two-year-old battery (as you rightly pointed out on another posting) -- to cost $249.99, particularly when it's two years old. Even the newer one for $50 more is a ridiculous price when you compare it to what's available for, say, $100 more than that. People are overpaying for less-featured and/or older models, plain and simple. And refurbished models of better-quality computers are added into the mix now more often. That's where the greed is *really* taking over. Those refurbished Lenovos on at FS for $270-ish are an example. They're *refurbished* for goodness sake! It's retailer greed based on what the people are prepared to pay. I'm sure if I were to look at comparable U.S. sites I'd find the prices are lower. Canadians are just willing to pay too much.

I'm no expert on computers. So there could be more to this than what I believe I'm seeing. But this is simply my observation on the cost of notebooks/laptops these days.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"

Love TV? The Episodium
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6974 posts
654 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 5:37 pm
I guess what you've said here outlines part of my frustration. There are many people, myself included, who don't need the features to go up and for the prices on higher-featured laptops to go down a bit. They just need the prices to go down appropriately on older stock. It's ridiculous to me, frankly, that a laptop with the features of the one I asked about here originally -- 2 gb ram, single core processor, two-year-old battery (as you rightly pointed out on another posting) -- to cost $249.99, particularly when it's two years old. Even the newer one for $50 more is a ridiculous price when you compare it to what's available for, say, $100 more than that. People are overpaying for less-featured and/or older models, plain and simple. And refurbished models of better-quality computers are added into the mix now more often. That's where the greed is *really* taking over. Those refurbished Lenovos on at FS for $270-ish are an example. They're *refurbished* for goodness sake! It's retailer greed based on what the people are prepared to pay. I'm sure if I were to look at comparable U.S. sites I'd find the prices are lower. Canadians are just willing to pay too much.

I'm no expert on computers. So there could be more to this than what I believe I'm seeing. But this is simply my observation on the cost of notebooks/laptops these days.

you have said some good points.

Actually, I am in the process of selling my 5 years old Samsung T2350/3GB/500GB via local craigslist for sub 200. And it still beats these netbooks in terms of performance. So sadly, you can only find what you want in used market but I can understand the frustration.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23294 posts
1439 upvotes
Markham
consumerPI wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 11:26 pm

i can borrow you my grandparents ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
3641 posts
1497 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
There's some reviews on a similar K125 11.6 at FS (although 1 review has it mixed up with an AMD)....
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... c16177en02

I have the AO-522 with hdmi & 10.1"... with the AMD C-50...I find it decent and light for travelling about. It's a bit slow compared to my middle-of-the-road-2-years-ago laptops though. I find hdmi handy if you want to just plug into a TV. The 11.6 screen is a defn plus vs the 10.1 imo.

See the K125 processor rating here: (higher on the passmark is better) the K125 is quite low at ~500 but inline with many netbooks out there.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Good luck!
Aug 26, 2009
369 posts
53 upvotes
bought an aspire one 722 dual core c60 2gb ddr3 500gb hd for 269+ tax at notebook outlet @ pacific mall. happy with the performance.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23294 posts
1439 upvotes
Markham
jrgarma wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 6:24 pm
bought an aspire one 722 dual core c60 2gb ddr3 500gb hd for 269+ tax at notebook outlet @ pacific mall. happy with the performance.
y no tax free?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1055 posts
194 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm on an Acer Aspire One 721-3858 that I bought a year ago from Futureshop for 350 and this "netbook/laptop" works great for everyday use....

4gb of ram and a 500 gb HD are a bonus...
× < >