Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Acer Aspire E 17.3" Laptop - Black (Intel i5-7200U/1TB HDD/12GB RAM/Windows 10) - $699.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2016 6:36 pm
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5110 posts
1544 upvotes
Kitchener
All good specs for $699 until I read the 1600x900 screen res
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
so you going to get a 17 inch, with SSD and 1080p for $699?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3478 posts
3857 upvotes
Antarctica
I can get the screen argument but let's not pretend that putting in a ssd is all of a sudden a huge expense. It doesn't require any special knowledge compared to HDD installation and you can get a very decent sized SSD for the price of a 1TB HDD. So yeah it should be doable to get a ssd laptop with above configuration for everything else for $699.
May 29, 2016
498 posts
284 upvotes
Anyone who needs a full hd screen can get this:

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms ... 5073952200

But for anyone chiding this deal - you have to understand that some people, be it elders or whoever, have bad vision. A 15.6 inch laptop isn't large enough and they struggle to see properly on it. A 17.3 inch laptop with slightly lower specs is a good enough trade-off for these people. In fact, in those cases a 1600x900 res can be beneficial because even 1080p on a 17.3 inch looks quite small so you would have to use high dpi which doesn't always scale perfectly.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Crichtonfan wrote: I can get the screen argument but let's not pretend that putting in a ssd is all of a sudden a huge expense. It doesn't require any special knowledge compared to HDD installation and you can get a very decent sized SSD for the price of a 1TB HDD. So yeah it should be doable to get a ssd laptop with above configuration for everything else for $699.
yeah ok well then sell the 1TB and buy a 256 ssd... they sell these by what people need.. and frankly 256 isn't enough for most people.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3478 posts
3857 upvotes
Antarctica
daivey wrote: yeah ok well then sell the 1TB and buy a 256 ssd... they sell these by what people need.. and frankly 256 isn't enough for most people.
I love this forum.

In one thread 64 gb is overkill "for most people", and then I hear 256 gb isn't enough "for most people".

Hey I get that you love this machine but no need to get defensive over someone criticizing a corporation's product. Do you own some stock there?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
The optimal setup is a minimum 256gb ssd and a minimum 1tb hard drive. Swapping in one for the other still sucks.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Banned
Oct 13, 2015
1245 posts
826 upvotes
Sainte-Dorothee, QC
It just too big, 17.3" laptop is killing my desks space. It feels like a desktop computer.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Crichtonfan wrote: I love this forum.

In one thread 64 gb is overkill "for most people", and then I hear 256 gb isn't enough "for most people".

Hey I get that you love this machine but no need to get defensive over someone criticizing a corporation's product. Do you own some stock there?
i don't love this machine. i don't care for it.. but every thread that has a laptop for sale is filled with lemmings "oh booo hoo there is no SSD and no 1080p" meanwhile it's a discount laptop.

if you want premium product, don't click on the discount posts.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3478 posts
3857 upvotes
Antarctica
daivey wrote: i don't love this machine. i don't care for it.. but every thread that has a laptop for sale is filled with lemmings "oh booo hoo there is no SSD and no 1080p" meanwhile it's a discount laptop.

I would argue that ssd is no longer a "premium".
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
For the average consumer that doesn't know what SSD is who these laptop sales are geared to 1terabyte means premium to them.

To RFD peoples that know electronics then yes you are right.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
2626 posts
1425 upvotes
burlington, on
daivey wrote: i don't love this machine. i don't care for it.. but every thread that has a laptop for sale is filled with lemmings "oh booo hoo there is no SSD and no 1080p" meanwhile it's a discount laptop.

I'm agree with that.
In each single post about computer there is always someone complain about screen or other.
Please guys everyone is more than welcome if for SAME price or less you can post a better link.
If people suggest stay away for experience reasons I'm agree but all that guys keep saying for 100 or 200 $ more you can buy this or that...
Booooo Grinning Face
Anyway this is a free country and we are all here in this forum for some good deal
Jan 26, 2014
25 posts
35 upvotes
Victoria
I know two people who have this exact model and are both very happy with it. Both did swap out the HDD for an SSD though.