[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2024 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area

Acer Aspire One - Problems

So Staples delivered the netbook today.

Took about 45 minutes to set up and let it install XP.

Couldn't get it to see my other network machines and vice versa. Finally after rebooting router and shutting down the preinstalled Macafee AV it started seeing my main PC but slow. Set it to transfer a file then went away. Came back and file had transferred. Speed had increased when I went into network again. Turned Macafee back on still worked fine. Have no idea what the wireless problem between my main PC was about.

What are thoughts on Macafee AV? I use Avast on my others and find it fine.

Personally I find the fonts very small and hard to read. Went into display and increased to large but it is still tough on my eyes. Anyone else find the netbooks resolution hard to read when using browsers. Might have to try Google browser as it sucks having the main header and 4 toolbars in Firefox, IE is even worse.

Personally I could only use this while vacationing or travel as the screen is to small for anything except email and simple browsing.
23 replies
Sep 19, 2006
794 posts
Toronto / Ottawa / M…
Get rid of McAfee and get Nod32, preferably a 2.x version that is lightweight. Hell, don't run an AV on this machine, really no need and it will slow it down too much. Nod32 2.x not so much.

Press F11 to go in full-screen mode in Firefox so you have more room to see the page.

Try using Firefox 3 and hold Control and scroll the mousewheel -- you may find the zoom works better than in Firefox 2.

Netbooks are awesome, but for a very narrow use-case, imho.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
akbar_k wrote:
Sep 26th, 2008 1:43 am
Get rid of McAfee and get Nod32, preferably a 2.x version that is lightweight.
Try Avira Antivir + ZoneAlarm. Lightweight, effective and free.
I was thinking that, but possibly if you had already had an external monitor and USB keyboard/mouse at home, then it becomes a very portable travel system while still being usable at home. If it really has enough power to run normal WinXP apps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2024 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
GTT1 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2008 12:58 am

Couldn't get it to see my other network machines and vice versa. Finally after rebooting router and shutting down the preinstalled Macafee AV it started seeing my main PC but slow. Set it to transfer a file then went away. Came back and file had transferred. Speed had increased when I went into network again. Turned Macafee back on still worked fine. Have no idea what the wireless problem between my main PC was about.
I think this is the problem. When the network slowdown above occurred I had the netbook on battery near my PC. When I set up the transfer I took it back and plugged it in to power. When I used it later it was plugged in and everything fine.

So today I took it to kitchen table and on battery same problem as earlier slow wireless connect. Took it and plugged it in voila back to speed unplug slow down. Don't know what is causing this problem but I guess it has something to do with the power drain on the battery.

I think it will be going back as I don't want to get a replacement. Was going to use it on an upcoming trip but don't want to take a chance on another lemon while away for over a month. Staples return policy is 15 days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2024 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
akbar_k wrote:
Sep 26th, 2008 1:43 am
Get rid of McAfee and get Nod32, preferably a 2.x version that is lightweight. Hell, don't run an AV on this machine, really no need and it will slow it down too much. Nod32 2.x not so much.

Press F11 to go in full-screen mode in Firefox so you have more room to see the page.

Try using Firefox 3 and hold Control and scroll the mousewheel -- you may find the zoom works better than in Firefox 2.

Great tips. Someone should post all of firefox tips to a thread. There are probably plenty more I and others haven't heard of. Control /wheel zoom works great. full page is perfect from back and forth with F11.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
GTT1 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2008 4:03 pm
Great tips. Someone should post all of firefox tips to a thread. There are probably plenty more I and others haven't heard of. Control /wheel zoom works great. full page is perfect from back and forth with F11.
Most people aren't aware that the Ctrl+wheel up/down to change size is a default which works in Internet Explorer and MS Office apps as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2024 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
I think I found the solution to the slow wifi

IF you are running XP, see properties for the networkcard in device manager - advanced - set powersaving to off
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2024 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
Still having wifi problems as are tons of other aa1 owners.

Going to give up and return it to Staples before the 15 days is up. Maybe Acer will get the problems sorted out in future builds, but right now the buyer is having to resort to all kinds of fixes and if you are not real computer savvy beware you will get very frustrated.

Those thinking of buying might want to visit these spots first.

http://www.theacerguy.com/2008/08/09/wi ... spire-one/

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

Its a shame because it seems like a nice piece for the price.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11355 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
GTT1 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2008 11:11 am
Still having wifi problems as are tons of other aa1 owners.

Going to give up and return it to Staples before the 15 days is up. Maybe Acer will get the problems sorted out in future builds, but right now the buyer is having to resort to all kinds of fixes and if you are not real computer savvy beware you will get very frustrated.

Those thinking of buying might want to visit these spots first.

http://www.theacerguy.com/2008/08/09/wi ... spire-one/

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

Its a shame because it seems like a nice piece for the price.
Seems to be more of an issue with those using the 3 cell as opposed to the 6 cell. Mine acted this way when using the 3 cell, but using the 6 cell, no issues anywhere.
Jul 22, 2007
699 posts
Magog, Quebec
GTT1 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2008 12:58 am
Personally I could only use this while vacationing or travel as the screen is to small for anything except email and simple browsing.
That's exactly the point of a netbook.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2024 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
Zertz wrote:
Sep 27th, 2008 3:29 pm
That's exactly the point of a netbook.
Who says? You!!

What about students, while watching TV, in the car.

I actually liked the size for sitting surfing while watching TV. Felt better on my lap than my T40.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
these netbooks getting cheaper and cheaper...i'll wait till they hit 200bux :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2024 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
kleptodathief wrote:
Sep 28th, 2008 12:04 am
these netbooks getting cheaper and cheaper...i'll wait till they hit 200bux :D
IMO not going to happen, my guess lowest price point we will see on sale will be $299. for basic entry stuff. They will just keep upping the specs more memory, faster processors, better batteries trying to keep the price at the $4-500 range with XP or vista and a little cheaper with linux.

Personally I wish staples or FS would get in the Asus eee 1000 so I could give a 10" screen a try so I could return if not suitable.
Jul 22, 2007
699 posts
Magog, Quebec
GTT1 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2008 9:21 am
Personally I wish staples or FS would get in the Asus eee 1000 so I could give a 10" screen a try so I could return if not suitable.
I have a 1000H and honestly it's not about the bigger screen.. resolution is the same, but it has a bigger chassis, keyboard.. I like it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5581 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver
There should be an option somewhere, probably in the power option in the control panel, to adjust the power of the wifi transmitter/reciever based on batter or pluged in.

Have you tried that?