[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2022 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
Narci wrote:
Sep 29th, 2008 9:00 pm
There should be an option somewhere, probably in the power option in the control panel, to adjust the power of the wifi transmitter/reciever based on batter or pluged in.

Have you tried that?
That was the first problem and an easy fix. Just have to go into the wifi card in device manager and change the powersave to off. That solved the problem of slowwww connection under battery power. The big problem which a lot are experiencing is the IP gets dropped and you have to go into internet connection and click repair so it gets the IP again. This happens sporadically. I have read some fixed it by updating the bios (Not sure I buy that) other fixes are switching out the Atheus card and putting in another wireless card. I guess if you are past the return stage you try to fix it but I prefer something to work properly out of the box.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12201 posts
1192 upvotes
Toronto
my sister just bought an aa1 the other day from bestbuy. preloaded with xp and mcaffee. I uninstalled mcaffee for her and installed symantec antivirus from her u of t account. I also uninstalled all the unecessary trial software. The wifi on her unit works like a charm. There hasn't been any signal drops or hiccups in the connection. Perhaps you may have a defective unit? I love the aa1. imo it looks better then the asus netbooks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2022 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
trixstar wrote:
Sep 29th, 2008 11:13 pm
my sister just bought an aa1 the other day from bestbuy. preloaded with xp and mcaffee. I uninstalled mcaffee for her and installed symantec antivirus from her u of t account. I also uninstalled all the unecessary trial software. The wifi on her unit works like a charm. There hasn't been any signal drops or hiccups in the connection. Perhaps you may have a defective unit? I love the aa1. imo it looks better then the asus netbooks.
Hopefully it continues to work like a charm. Lots of units are having problems as anyone can verify by doing a search. There are a number of different models. I would just really give the wifi a solid workout before your 15 days refund are up.

Terrific little unit if no problems with wifi.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12201 posts
1192 upvotes
Toronto
GTT1 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2008 6:03 pm
Hopefully it continues to work like a charm. Lots of units are having problems as anyone can verify by doing a search. There are a number of different models. I would just really give the wifi a solid workout before your 15 days refund are up.

Terrific little unit if no problems with wifi.
well she's using her wifi for a couple of days now.. approx 4 hours a day with her netbook thats connected to the wireless network at home. All seems to go well so far. I have not yet asked if she has used the wifi with her university yet. Maybe she can tell me how the signal quality is. So far she hasn't been complaining about signal degradation or any other problems with her wifi. We purchased this one at Best Buy at the eaton centre. It was the last one they had in stock too! i believe best buy only carries the blue model instores. 1.6ghz atom, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2022 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
Thats the model I had. Maybe some are lemons or even different build dates. Heres hoping it continues to work well for her. Fact is I could have lived with the problem (just had to right click wireless connection click repair and it would be back in about 30 seconds) but I can wait for newer models.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5613 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my AA1 today. Feels like great quality and performs like my old centrino 1 laptop. No problems encountered, the only issue I have is that my battery seems to only charge to 95%.

Screen is a tad small but usable, I kind of regret not getting a netbook with a 10" screen.

I can touch type most things on my normal laptop, but for the AA1, I find it hard to get to the backspace and enter without looking.

The mouse buttons really suck, I need 2 hands, one to move the mouse and the other to click the button.

Performance is good, with 1 gb I can run a vmware guest OS and do the same development work on it as I did on my Dell 640m.

Overall it is a good machine, it looks very cute and is very light.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11228 posts
946 upvotes
Kanata
toalan wrote:
Oct 1st, 2008 4:30 pm
Just got my AA1 today. Feels like great quality and performs like my old centrino 1 laptop. No problems encountered, the only issue I have is that my battery seems to only charge to 95%.

Screen is a tad small but usable, I kind of regret not getting a netbook with a 10" screen.

I can touch type most things on my normal laptop, but for the AA1, I find it hard to get to the backspace and enter without looking.

The mouse buttons really suck, I need 2 hands, one to move the mouse and the other to click the button.

Performance is good, with 1 gb I can run a vmware guest OS and do the same development work on it as I did on my Dell 640m.

Overall it is a good machine, it looks very cute and is very light.
that's weird, you may have a bad battery, it should charge to 100%.

I ordered a US keyboard, it is much nicer than the bilingual (though I am used to the bilingual one).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5613 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
I will drain the battery and charge it up, hopefully this will fix the problem. I opened up my AA1 and put in more ram, now it has 1.5gb. It was really easy to take it apart, not as easy as opening an actual door on the chassis. I have just one left over screw, which is much better than what I usually manage.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5613 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
I do not feel too bad about the 1 screw missing, I know it is a screw that secures the mobo to the chassis, there are about 10 screws already holding the mobo to the chassis. There aren't any movable parts inside the case such as dvd rom or pcmcia slot, so I figure if the mobo feels secure then it probably is secure.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel