• Apr 11th, 2012 4:05 am
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2006
356 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Acer Aspire ONE upgrades how to

OK first of all I did take some pics however, I haven't had the time to edit the photos yet to have a more detail description. However, here is the sequence that need to be done to disassemble the Acer Aspire ONE to upgrade the RAM.

1. Unplug the ONE from the power supply (duh)
2. Remove the battery pack from ONE
3. Take a Small Screw Driver and remove the screws from the bottom of the system. Here is where the screws are:
3x - under where the battery sits
3x - under where the touch pad is
2x - under the rubber pads that sits right under the hinges (these are tricky because you need to remove the rubber legs. they are not hard to remove since they are only attached by doublesided tape)

4. To remove the Keyboard you'll need a flat head screw driver, there are 3 levers that holds the keyboard inplace. look closer they are above the following keys "Pause break" "F8" and "F2" (tips: remove the one in the middle "F8" first it makes life a lot easier) use the flat head screw driver and put the lever upward towards the screen and the key board should pop up

5. Start from the top and start peeling off the keyboard, there might be a little bit of tape sticking to the keyboard so becareful, watch out for the cable that is connecting the keyboard and the board, carefully remove the cable and the keyboard should come right off.

6. now you should see a few more screws on the metal plate under the keyboard, remove those screws (keep screw in different pile as they are slightly different in size)

7. once you have done that lift the lock for the touch pad and the cable should slide right out, it's right above your touch pad, you won't miss it.

8 carefully remove the face place along with the touchpad, don't worry aobut the pads....etc they are one component.

9. vola, you should see the mother board now just take a picture to record all the screw location. remove the connector to the SSD bottom right, and the LCD connector top left.

10. left the motherboard up and you will see the memory slot on the back of the motherboard, install teh RAM and reverse the process.

(the funny thing is if you go the default OS you'll see the memory is 2GB but it really is only 1.5 GB.)

HEre are the pics

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p322/bb320/
78 replies
Sep 19, 2006
794 posts
Toronto / Ottawa / M…
bb320 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2008 10:49 pm
OK first of all I did take some pics however, I haven't had the time to edit the photos yet to have a more detail description. However, here is the sequence that need to be done to disassemble the Acer Aspire ONE to upgrade the RAM.

Cool thanks! I would like to see your photos :D
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
10990 posts
868 upvotes
Kanata
if you create an account on photobucket or some other site like that, you can host and link to your pictures for free.

Thanks for the info!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3739 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Wow excellent writeup, you must have worked all night doing that.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2006
356 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
thanks McLaren...

:cheesygri
Dec 21, 2006
930 posts
12 upvotes
Great post... once you move the keyboard do you really need all the extra steps? From the pictures posted on other sites it looked like once you roll back the keyboard you right away have access to the RAM slot. Am I missing something here?
[OP]
Oct 19, 2006
356 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
The RAM slot is on the bottom of the motherboard. :) so yes you need to lift the motherboard up.
Dec 21, 2006
930 posts
12 upvotes
bb320 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2008 12:15 pm
The RAM slot is on the bottom of the motherboard. :) so yes you need to lift the motherboard up.
woah...i thought it was facing up from the pictures. :(
[OP]
Oct 19, 2006
356 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Those are the soldered ones 512 ahahha...
[OP]
Oct 19, 2006
356 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
The white thing is the connector for the SSD...

the removed the cable you have to unscrew all the screw on the metal plate and then remove the face plate. you'll see the MB. you got to lift the MB to to see teh slot.

:)
Dec 21, 2006
930 posts
12 upvotes
bb320 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2008 3:47 pm
The white thing is the connector for the SSD...

the removed the cable you have to unscrew all the screw on the metal plate and then remove the face plate. you'll see the MB. you got to lift the MB to to see teh slot.

:)
That sucks :(
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9477 posts
682 upvotes
One has to think Acer screwed up and forgot to make a back panel for ram upgrade. Seriously it would be so much easier if you can just upgrade for the back.

I was thinking about grabbing the acer one instead of waiting for Dell e but then if you add the pain of upgrading ram + $111 bucks for 6 cell battery (pre-order)... its almost worth considering the Asus 901 since 2.5" offers better battery life than MLC SSD.
Sep 19, 2006
794 posts
Toronto / Ottawa / M…
GVRtrader wrote:
Jul 11th, 2008 4:46 pm
One has to think Acer screwed up and forgot to make a back panel for ram upgrade. Seriously it would be so much easier if you can just upgrade for the back.

I was thinking about grabbing the acer one instead of waiting for Dell e but then if you add the pain of upgrading ram + $111 bucks for 6 cell battery (pre-order)... its almost worth considering the Asus 901 since 2.5" offers better battery life than MLC SSD.
They didn't "forget", they purposely made the back plate without a door for memory access. Why? Greed. They want to segment the market completely so that people who can't handle the disassembly will have to purchase the higher model. I'm not angry because I can't disassemble it -- it's a cake walk for me. I'm angry because their greed has repercussions -- and it's led to a product that is likely to be overshadowed by the Dell E and the MSI Wind.

The slow SSD (7.7 MB/s write-speed) coupled with the glaring lack of a plastic RAM door has led to this clusterfk.

Just to give you an idea how slow this write-speed is: a typical Western Digital 80 GB IDE hard drive made in 2004 has a 55 MB/s write-speed. Think about it.

Reading the Aspire One forums shows you how people are now being forced to replace the slow SSD and buy 1.8" HDD's from ebay. Disgusting.
× < >