ACNE treatment review

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2009 10:32 pm
Tags:
May 4, 2008
729 posts
26 upvotes

ACNE treatment review

I am not sure if this thread has already been started or not but i know alot of teenagers struggle with acne so i decide to make this thread and hear peoples opinion on which acne medications/treatments works or which does not work.
For me at the moment i am using eXposed skin care treatment and it made my face better but the acne is still there but so far i tried pro-activ and other creams and this is the only one that works so far
34 replies
Banned
Apr 28, 2007
1206 posts
12 upvotes
Luckyinfil wrote: Accutane
+1 for accutane. i had severe acne before and tried proactiv and doesn't work at all. later on, my doctor prescribed me accutane and my acne was gone after the finishing all my pills (took pills for ~6months). very very happy with the results. :)
Feb 20, 2009
333 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Accutane is not for everyone, my best friend was on it for a few months, the Dr told her there was some serious side effects that could happen when taking this pill, kidney damage, birth deffects when she wanted to have babies etc. She has been off of them for years now, and she recently found out that she might not be able to have children because of these pills, they have tried 4 times with no luck.
Acutane has been banned in the States...I would have a long talk with my Dr and do research on accutane before considering it.
"The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."
- Aristotle Onassis
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
I'm 22 yrs old and I used accutane over a year and a half ago. It definitely works with minimal side effects. Other than really dry skin and chapped lips, nothing too serious.

It really cleared my skin, although im off it now I still get pimples, It is noooo where as bad as it was before. Trust me, i had bad acne but now I get little zits that go away fast and doesn't leave red marks or scars.

Right now I use benzol peroxide night and morning. I get really oily skin, but now rinse my face with warm water throughout the day which has cleared my skin even more.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
1. Don't ever touch your face except to wash
2. Use Ivory Soap to wash
3. Wash often.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Jan 5, 2008
179 posts
7 upvotes
New Westminster
I tried most over the counter treatments, accutane seemed to risky to me so I didn't try it.

I ended up trying to find what exactly was causing my acne, it took several months of selectively eliminating things from my diet, but I found that taking caffeine out of my diet made a dramatic improvement, then keeping my sugar intake down cleared up the occasional pimple I was still getting.

Been zit free for months now. :)

The diet solution may not be for everyone, but it worked for me and it's....free!
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
[quote="SassiSrb" post_id="9518155" time="1254437556" user_id="214018"]Accutane is not for everyone, my best friend was on it for a few months, the Dr told her there was some serious side effects that could happen when taking this pill, kidney damage, birth deffects when she wanted to have babies etc. She has been off of them for years now, and she recently found out that she might not be able to have children because of these pills, they have tried 4 times with no luck.
Acutane has been banned in the States...I would have a long talk with my Dr and do research on accutane before considering it.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure this is true? Accutane is a major drug I don't think they would ban it.
Feb 20, 2009
333 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Wilmega wrote: Don;t quote me on that, I was talking to someone and they said that but doing a search I come across nothing...so perhaps I am wrong. But still I see the trouble my friend is going thru and its causing her more pain then having the acne, she wishes she never went on it.
Here is a good link for anyone intrested on the side effects
http://acne.about.com/od/acnetreatments ... ffects.htm
"The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."
- Aristotle Onassis
Banned
Apr 28, 2007
1206 posts
12 upvotes
SassiSrb wrote: Accutane is not for everyone, my best friend was on it for a few months, the Dr told her there was some serious side effects that could happen when taking this pill, kidney damage, birth deffects when she wanted to have babies etc. She has been off of them for years now, and she recently found out that she might not be able to have children because of these pills, they have tried 4 times with no luck.
Acutane has been banned in the States...I would have a long talk with my Dr and do research on accutane before considering it.

SassiSrb is completely right on this one. Accutane is not for everyone. My doctor stressed that there are possible side effects when taking accutane. I was lucky that my side effects were less severe than your friend's (dry skin and terrible mood swings). You also have to take blood tests every few weeks to make sure your kidney is okay along with other things. Do some research and ask for a 2nd opinion about accutane.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1788 posts
1259 upvotes
- Drink Lots of water
- Take Fish Oil Caps
- Wash your face in the morning and before bed.
- Wash your bedding often, think about the dirty and oils on your pillow case
- Don't touch your face

If I do get a pimple and i have picked at it (some times you can help it). I put some alcohol on it to keep it clean, then some polysporin.
Jul 15, 2008
748 posts
662 upvotes
Calgary
Clindoxyl Gel prescribed by my doctor. Works really well but only buy it if you have it covered under health care or if you're really rich (it's $60 for like a tube that lasts me about a month, but it's only $12 due to my plan). It's basically just b.p., so you can try finding products with that.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1668 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
From my personal experience, I find that diet has an affect on the frequency and the severity of my break outs. Foods containing a lot of sugar cause me to break out.
Jun 7, 2005
241 posts
15 upvotes
I tried a bunch of things before such as accutane, bp gel, anti biotics, etc. I think for myself I had severe acne and now its pretty light. I did respond to accutane but I think I got really moody so I went off it but then again my dose was high I think like 80-100mg a day I forgot. What I think what works best is just to have a good diet and try not to stress at all.
"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet".
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
diet does certainly have an effect on your acne. From my experience, dont eat fried and fatty/oily foods like chips, fries, fast food like Macd, red meat like lamb and beef, and spicy foods too cause they can excite your pores into producing more oils and sweat.
On the bottom line, eat light, eat more veggiesad fruits and cut down on meats because meats does have a certain level of 'toxins' in them. Chicken and fish are probably the best kinds of meat.

Drink more water and also avoid foods that are high in sugars. Stick to the savory stuff.

also, you dont need to wash your face too often, 3 times a day is maximum, i suggest you use oil blotting paper during the day to absorb the oils without drying your face. that way, if you wash too often, your face will produce even more oils. when you buy facewash products, make sure there is salicylic acid in it cuz you probably already use BP creams, it has antibactieral agents in it and oil control.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1006 posts
40 upvotes
Has anyone tried Mario Badescu drying lotion?
I was looking for it on Sephora web site but can't find it. I heard it is a very good lotion for drying out pimples but not tried it yet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)