Tags:
Feb 9, 2004
660 posts
49 upvotes
Markham
TanGU wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:19 am
Op should put US deal, Canadian is 6.99
$6.99 is also 50% off for Canadian price. So it is not really an US only deal. However, the price on the title should be changed.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1200 posts
82 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks OP, was waiting for it to go on sale

Was using (free) Zoiper but didn't have CallKit.
Got Heat?
Jul 28, 2010
288 posts
208 upvotes
Montreal
sexyj wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:35 am
what function does this have over csipsimple ?
I use free csipsimple also on android with no issue at all with receiving calls and battery. I might try acrobits for iphone since I have yet to find a reliable free background app on ios.
Jan 10, 2017
316 posts
98 upvotes
GTA
marc_t wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:13 am
Somewhat related;

Just saw your sig; If I understand correctly, you're on LTE with VOIP ?
I'm on 3G and it's a pain sometimes (bandwidth issue perhaps?)
Voip on LTE is indistinguishably good unless you are in a fast moving vehicle although I still have calls while the quality dips. Another issue would be when you are not in a place where LTE is not going to reach you, but thats the risk of trying to save money at the cost of call quality.
3G seems to be of latency, jitter, and sometimes bandwidth although still usable.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1112 posts
209 upvotes
GTA
Also, from the developer's features list
Make an in app purchase to add G.729 Annex A
Found a screenshot (see below) that the G.729 cost is 6-British-Pound; which is roughly $10 CAD

That kind of cost, there are many choices.
Images
  • Acrobits Softphone - G729 cost.jpg
- - - - -
Feb 29, 2016
70 posts
31 upvotes
I just got it for my iPhone. At work, my company's firewall blocks voip.ms's ports. This app allows me to choose to use LTE for voip even when my phone is connected to the company WiFi. Furthermore, the app uses push notification so I can close the app. This apparently makes it such that it uses less batteries vs other apps that you must keep open. I use to use Zoiper when I was on Android, but there aren't many good IOS options, so thank you for posting this deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1465 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Clee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:09 am
I may try it out. I am pissed at CoutherPath Bria, I bought their app and now they switched to subscribtion with monthly fees so I need to pay again.
I'm was in the same boat as you -- You can still install the legacy app if you go to your play store purchase history (they just de-listed it from the public play store).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2369 upvotes
DragOnT wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:38 pm
Found a screenshot (see below) that the G.729 cost is 6-British-Pound; which is roughly $10 CAD
G.729a add-on is $6.99 CAD on iOS. It's not $10.

And it appears to be $4.99 for Android users.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 8th, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1465 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
DragOnT wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:38 pm
Also, from the developer's features list

That kind of cost, there are many choices.
Yeah, G.729 is a must on cell-phones. This makes it $6.99 + $10 = $17. Pretty cold deal
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1200 posts
82 upvotes
Montreal
What's the diff with G.729? Never had it on the free apps I used and call quality was still excellent (Granted I live in urban Montreal not rural)
Got Heat?
Dec 29, 2010
90 posts
77 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:25 pm
Yeah, G.729 is a must on cell-phones. This makes it $6.99 + $10 = $17. Pretty cold deal
G.729 is not necessary on any modern cellphone and provides worse quality than G.711 (u-law).
G.729 uses ~4KB/s (14MB/h) and G.711 uses ~11Kb/s (40MB/h) both of which are easy on an LTE connection so why would you use the lower quality and more expensive one?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1465 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
mobad wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:25 pm
G.729 is not necessary on any modern cellphone and provides worse quality than G.711 (u-law).
G.729 uses ~4KB/s (14MB/h) and G.711 uses ~11Kb/s (40MB/h) both of which are easy on an LTE connection so why would you use the lower quality and more expensive one?
If you have picture-perfect LTE connectivity always and everywhere you go, then yeah, the G729 license is an unnecessary investment. For us that live in the real world and plan to use our phones inside buildings, while driving, or out of major urban centers, G729 is preferred.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2369 upvotes
mobad wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:25 pm
G.729a shouldn't be used unless you're having issues on a poor cellular data signal or have bandwidth issues. G.729a certainly sounds worse than G.711u.

G.729 often defaults to using 30ms packetization periods, instead of 20ms from G.711u, which increases latency, slightly from the time you speak until the time it's heard. In this example, increased compression increases latency.

Increased compression, however, can help with bandwidth and QoS issues. If you're on 3G, or in a weak signal area, you may find G.711u simply won't work well. I usually dial into my Obihai ATA using regular cellular airtime when this happens to place long distance calls instead of switching to some lower bitrate, lossy codec.

Groundwire is a pretty powerful SIP app that offers push server access (that does have a privacy downside insofar as you're providing SIP credentials to a third party, Acrobits in this case; Acrobits is reputable, but that's still a potential privacy issue) and free, responsive tech support without subscriptions. The cost to me is inconsequential; I paid full price and own all the add-ons. I would buy them again. On iOS (I can't remember the last time I tested Groundwire on Android), Groundwire also handoffs calls between Wi-Fi and cellular data without dropping them.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 8th, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Jan 17, 2006
772 posts
106 upvotes
Mississauga
I use Zopier (newest version I believe still in BETA) and works really well, receive and make calls flawlessly and does not kill my battery, normally does not even show in the top battery consumption apps unless I actually use it to make / receive calls... Bluetooth headset support, which is one of the main features of this new version is still a little buggy though which is the only reason I considered this deal.

Looking at Groundwire reviews seems like they recently did some mayor GUI changes and it has been awful since so I'll pass...

Couple of notes:

- G.729 is really recommended as cellphones not always have good data bandwidth available, if you are always on WiFi its a non issue but if you use it while on the road this will make a big improvement in call quality. On Zoiper it is also a Premium feature (I think I paid $10 for it too), please note this is not because the developer is greedy, G.729 is owned by Digium and everyone using it needs to pay for it (per channel). I believe there is a free implementation but intended for research only and much lower audio quality and worst latency...

- With any client you use, make sure you have your SIP Transport set to TCP or TLS (if supported by your provider / SIP server), UDP transport for SIP accounts is one of the main battery killers.
Last edited by Lumute on Nov 8th, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.