• Nov 16th, 2017 3:34 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8034 posts
2360 upvotes
guru2gr8 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:42 am
is any body able to find solution to use OPUS codec??
Callcentric to Callcentric calls support whatever codec you want. Typically both ends need to support or allow it. SIP2SIP to SIP2SIP will work as well.
SIP2SIP to Callcentric should work too, although I've never tried.

But if you're dealing with VoIP providers that allow PSTN interconnection . . . it's not happening. The call hits the PSTN gateway, which only works with G.711u and G.729a usually.

You'll have the same problem with G.722. Both ends need to support it. But if you're making calls to POTS (regular telephones), forget it.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2193 posts
382 upvotes
Montreal
Can someone advise how I should order these codecs ?
I'm on 3G Rogers network.

Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Sep 5, 2016
205 posts
61 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:30 pm
Callcentric to Callcentric calls support whatever codec you want. Typically both ends need to support or allow it. SIP2SIP to SIP2SIP will work as well.
SIP2SIP to Callcentric should work too, although I've never tried.

But if you're dealing with VoIP providers that allow PSTN interconnection . . . it's not happening. The call hits the PSTN gateway, which only works with G.711u and G.729a usually.

You'll have the same problem with G.722. Both ends need to support it. But if you're making calls to POTS (regular telephones), forget it.
Hello Webslinger, for clarification
Like www.voxbone.com DID provider which support OPUS/SILK/mostly all Codec. so if i get DID through there system, there server will not transcode the call into my preferred codec. so whatever codec will work behind my VOIP call leg from Voxabone sever to my equipment not working with OPUS.

somebody Call >> call with G711 Codec >> Voxbone srever/DID >> Voxbone transcode (G711 to Opus) >>> Call with OPUS >> my equipment

This is the same way as we do calling to any phone number through skype

My skype app Call >> call with SILK Codec >> SKYPE sytem >> Skype transcode (SILK to G711 ) >>> Call with G711 >> PSTN Phone number
Last edited by guru2gr8 on Nov 9th, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8034 posts
2360 upvotes
marc_t wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:51 pm
Can someone advise how I should order these codecs ?
I'm on 3G Rogers network.
G.711u goes to the top.
Unless you pay to unlock G.729a, nothing else will likely affect you. If you're only on 3G (and especially in a weak cellular data signal area), you're probably going to want to pay for G.729a.
If you find you have a lot of choppy and dropped calls with G.711u, you'll want to try shoving G.729a to the top.

G.711u is the equivalent sound quality of POTS (plain old telephone service) or a traditional landline (Bell, for example).
G.729a sounds worse (I can't stand it, but that's just me). However, G.729a is a lower bitrate codec, so it uses less bandwidth. You'll
get worse sound quality (when you have minimal jitter and low pings to the VoIP servers being used with G.711u) than G.711u. Less data will be used.
Your phone calls may be less choppy (affected by jitter) when using G.729a due to it using less bandwidth. Pings/latency will increase slightly when using G.729a.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 9th, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8034 posts
2360 upvotes
guru2gr8 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:55 pm
Hello Webslinger, for clarification
Edit: I thought I understood what you meant, but now I'm not sure after you edited your post.

Typically, the PSTN gateway being used would need to support OPUS. If any SIP service supports that over PSTN gateways, I'm not aware of it.
If no PSTN gateway is involved, then you have a chance.

As for whether Voxbone or any other SIP service is going to take an originating PSTN call and transcode it to OPUS for you, I'm sketpical.
If you find a SIP service that does, let me know.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 9th, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1623 posts
486 upvotes
Has anybody contacted them asking why they charge $10 for codec whose patent has expired 10 months ago?
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8034 posts
2360 upvotes
djredhat wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:26 pm
Has anybody contacted them
I haven't. You can try contacting them here: https://www.acrobits.net/hesk/index.php?a=add.

I haven't asked Zoiper either.

asking why they charge $10 for codec
Where do you see $10?

I can't tell for sure, but it seem likely that Android users can get G.729a codec for $4.99 for Groundwire, which is $2 cheaper than from Apple.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 9th, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1623 posts
486 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:03 pm
I haven't. You can try contacting them here: https://www.acrobits.net/hesk/index.php?a=add.

I haven't asked Zoiper either.

Where do you see $10?
Whatever the cost, my point it should be free. I suspect at this point they are keeping the money for themselves until people start noticing and complain about it.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8034 posts
2360 upvotes
djredhat wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:49 pm
Whatever the cost, my point it should be free. I suspect at this point they are keeping the money for themselves until people start noticing and complain about it.
That's possible, and I'm sure they're keeping the money. A lot of these SIP app devs may continue to charge for G.729a codec support indefinitely. I suspect they had to pay originally, so they might continue to pass the old development (and old sunk costs/old fees) costs involving G.729a onto the consumer. I'm not sure.

Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 9th, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1623 posts
486 upvotes
http://www.sipro.com/G729.html

For current Licensees of the G.729 Consortium Patent License Agreement, no reports and no payments will be due for Licensed Products Sold or otherwise distributed as of January 1, 2017.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
tcjsqls wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8034 posts
2360 upvotes
djredhat wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:23 pm

For current Licensees of the G.729 Consortium Patent License Agreement, no reports and no payments will be due for Licensed Products Sold or otherwise distributed as of January 1, 2017.
Yeah, many already know that (and I thought that had already been established in this thread by yourself and someone else earlier). However, it doesn't stop any developer from charging for G.729a support if they feel like it, and it didn't stop them from paying for licensing in the past (they may argue those fees and development costs were sunk costs; I'm not sure; that may be a flaky argument to make). Or they could reword their advertising and include everything, including G.729a and push service, in monthly or yearly subscription fees (Bria). As for whether it's immoral in 2017 to consider supporting the G.729a audio codec to be a feature and, in turn, charge for it, there's nothing stopping people from contacting app devs and complaining (or voting with your wallet), as you've suggested. In the meantime, a number of SIP app devs are still charging for G.729a support.

Dec 14, 2009
11 posts
Scarborough
Would Groundwire be the best sip client on an Android phone? How is it better than Zoiper, Cipsimple or even the stock Android SIP client?
Jun 6, 2012
143 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
smichael7 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:16 pm
Would Groundwire be the best sip client on an Android phone? How is it better than Zoiper, Cipsimple or even the stock Android SIP client?
I haven't tried Groundwire but I have used the other 3.
Stock Android client had issues sending and receiving calls. It may be a problem with my custom rom but it was not useable.
CipSimple is decent but I found the audio quality to be quite poor. No real issues with battery drain or calling.
Zoiper is what I currently use. Had an issue where incoming calls would ring once and instantly hang up but I believe that it was an issue with Doze.
I haven't found the perfect client yet.
Last edited by Yaranaika on Nov 10th, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 1, 2006
312 posts
36 upvotes
Scarborough, Ontario
Bought and installed this client yesterday on Android. Configured two freephoneline accounts. Works flawlessly. Great deal. Thanks OP.
Dec 21, 2004
473 posts
41 upvotes
So what's the consensus - Zoiper free or Groundwire?