Art and Photography

Action Camera - Distance Based Time-Lapse Photos?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2018 2:12 am
[OP]
Sep 19, 2004
174 posts
19 upvotes
Edmonton

Action Camera - Distance Based Time-Lapse Photos?

Hey everybody,

I haven't been able to find much information regarding some specific uses I'm considering getting an Action Camera for with built in GPS. Specifically, I'm trying to put together a pretty hands off approach to have a vehicle mounted camera take a series of photo, preferably based on distance traveled and not necessary on Time-Lapse. I'm sure some professional grade hardware would have this already built in, but I'm looking for something a bit more consumer grade if its available.

I'm looking to mount a camera on a hood of a vehicle, take a photo of the view from the vehicle every 200 to 300 meters or so, and have that photo geo-tagged with its approximate location. I could achieve this result by driving a set speed and having the camera set to take a photo every so many seconds, however I expect to encounter quite a few stops and hiccups throughout the day and I'm trying to avoid having 100 photos taken in the same location over 20 minutes because the vehicle hasn't moved.

I'm not having any luck on this being really available on the consumer market. Anybody have any tips? Or third party apps that might support this using the phone's built in GPS?
1 reply
Apr 24, 2012
393 posts
400 upvotes
Vancouver
You need MIOPS Mobile. It has a Road Lapse mode. Btw, if it's not based on time, it's not a time-lapse. Distance-lapse?
Hopefully you have or can buy one of compatible cameras. Although there are a few action cameras with GPS, I don't think any of them support the mode that you want.
https://www.miops.com/miops-mobile-dongle/