• Nov 17th, 2017 11:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Activation of email notification does not work

I have had several cases now where activation of email notification does not work.

Latest one was when I repplied to the thread of Rogers doing a credit check without consent.

One can click on the subscribe to ths thread ...." box and it checks OK but then, when one tries to switch My Notifications "on" from the current "off", nothing happens.
"on" cannot be selected.

BTW - worked fine for this post but not the last one.
8 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12855 upvotes
Scarborough
So you’re able to subscribe and see the thread on your subscriptions page but from there you can’t setup email notifications?
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I just checked my subscription page (had never checked there before).
The thread is listed there, but when I post my comment as a reply to the thread - then went to "Go Advanced", I could not change "My Notifications" from "No" to "Yes"
When I clicked on the little down arrow that normally allows one to change between "No" and "Yes", nothing happens.

Trouble is that this seems to be intermittent - sometimes it works, occasionally not.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12855 upvotes
Scarborough
krs wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:40 pm
I just checked my subscription page (had never checked there before).
The thread is listed there, but when I post my comment as a reply to the thread - then went to "Go Advanced", I could not change "My Notifications" from "No" to "Yes"
When I clicked on the little down arrow that normally allows one to change between "No" and "Yes", nothing happens.

Trouble is that this seems to be intermittent - sometimes it works, occasionally not.
The defaults should be set based on your settings here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php ... &mode=post

You should still be able to modify them through the advanced reply page though. Next time it happens send me a link to the post you made and I'll take a closer look.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
As of a few seconds ago, the problem is still there.
Can't select "Yes" for email notifications
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12855 upvotes
Scarborough
krs wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:22 pm
As of a few seconds ago, the problem is still there.
Can't select "Yes" for email notifications
Does switching to a different web browser make any difference when this issue pops up?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I'll try that.

I have been using Opera on a Mac - actually only for RFD nothing else because Opera brings up RFD right on their home page making RFD really convenient to access.

But I will switch to firefox which is the browser I normally use and let you know what happens.

BTW - I also sometimes don't get email notifications even for threads like this one where email notification shows on and instant.
That's why I didn't reply earlier - it was just by chance now that I checked this thread.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I just tried editing a rcent post to add email notification

Used Firefox for that - same problem as before.
I can select the option, the little tick mark shows up in the box, but then I can't trigger the "off" selection to "on" - nothing happens.

I just changed the default on my preference page- Subscribe to threads you reply to by default: - from "no" to "Yes"
Getting more email notifications is better than missing out on some.