- 20,000km per year
- 0.9% interest rate
- price per month ($518 including tax)
- residual value at lease end = $24,750

Without (TECH PKG)

same interest, km allowance, months amount

payment $450 per month with residual value at $22,675

When using online calculation for Lease Financing I get this

Lease Implicit Finance Charges (Lease Option) $2,774.55 (TECH PKG)

Lease Implicit Finance Charges (Lease Option) $695.25 (WITHOUT TECK PKG)

Please school me on this, why such a huge difference in financing #??

All feedback appreciated, thanks.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Bad deal. Just the payment itself seems really high. A 2017 might be a better deal if you are dead set on the TLX. Consider a 48 month lease instead of a 36 month lease. The payments will be substantially lower. For lease cars, the depreciation is generally the worst in the first two to three years of ownership.

As a TLX owner, I would advise against getting the V6 with SH-AWD unless you need it. The AWD system is great but the transmission sucks. Yes the transmission did get improved for MY2016 but they are still a pain. AWD cars are also plagued with floor vibrations at highway speeds with no fix in sight. For some, swapping to better tires has minimized the floor vibration but for others, the issue continues. Then there's also the clunky multimedia interface which is horribly outdated compared to what you get in a Honda Accord for example. Even the new Honda Civic has more new and updated tech than what is found in the TLX.

Since it looks like you're getting the 4 cylinder, most of what I said may not be a concern for you. However keep in mind the interior is not as big as you would think for a car of its size. The car is comfortable though. Would I lease it again? Only if I got a crazy good deal like the one we currently have. Otherwise there are better vehicles out there at a lower cost.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Dec 12, 2012
483 posts
812 upvotes
Canada
geokilla wrote: Bad deal. Just the payment itself seems really high. A 2017 might be a better deal if you are dead set on the TLX. Consider a 48 month lease instead of a 36 month lease. The payments will be substantially lower. For lease cars, the depreciation is generally the worst in the first two to three years of ownership.

As a TLX owner, I would advise against getting the V6 with SH-AWD unless you need it. The AWD system is great but the transmission sucks. Yes the transmission did get improved for MY2016 but they are still a pain. AWD cars are also plagued with floor vibrations at highway speeds with no fix in sight. For some, swapping to better tires has minimized the floor vibration but for others, the issue continues. Then there's also the clunky multimedia interface which is horribly outdated compared to what you get in a Honda Accord for example. Even the new Honda Civic has more new and updated tech than what is found in the TLX.

Since it looks like you're getting the 4 cylinder, most of what I said may not be a concern for you. However keep in mind the interior is not as big as you would think for a car of its size. The car is comfortable though. Would I lease it again? Only if I got a crazy good deal like the one we currently have. Otherwise there are better vehicles out there at a lower cost.
Thanks for the feedback, I should of mentioned that the deal is for V6 SH-AWD on both of those packages.

Looking at the Accord which I drove as well and do agree with the multimedia interface, if i was to get a V6 Touring my price would be around the same if not more for the Accord ;/
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
Agreed with Geokilla

The transmission is a deal breaker all by itself. Slow shifts, clunky shifts, Rev match sucks at Rev matching, reluctant to down shift...
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
We can't turn back time, but last years $375 all in per month lease special was the best deal that I've ever seen.
Dec 12, 2012
483 posts
812 upvotes
Canada
vkizzle wrote: We can't turn back time, but last years $375 all in per month lease special was the best deal that I've ever seen.
on a V6 SH-AWD? how many months and what $ down?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
TL;DR That price was for 48 months & a V6 SH-AWD Base. $170 bi-weekly for mine (or effectively $370/m). Tech package pricing was an extra ~$50/m

Nothing down except a security deposit if you wanted to lower the financing rate to 0%.

There probably won't be any mass blowout like last year unfort though – Sounds like the dealers weren’t allocated as many shipments of TLX’s, at least according to the sales guy in our club forums.

I agree with the other owners statements though – Tranny woes (I didn’t get a lemon like others, but I still can’t anticipate it properly), outdated multimedia system (Looks like it’s running Windows ME, lol), Auto-Idle Stop (cannot be permanently disabled), & a trunk pass-through designed by an architect with FASD (WHY IS IT OVAL?!?)

I still like the car, but I don’t love it. If it wasn’t for the price vs performance, I’d probably be looking at terminating early.
Last edited by Pauly Boy on Sep 30th, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pauly Boy wrote: I agree with the other owners statements though – Tranny woes (I didn’t get a lemon like others, but I still can’t anticipate it properly), outdated multimedia system (Looks like it’s running Windows ME, lol), Auto-Idle Stop (cannot be permanently disabled), & a trunk pass-through designed by an architect with FASD (WHY IS IT OVAL?!?)

I still like the car, but I don’t love it. If it wasn’t for the price vs performance, I’d probably be looking at terminating early.
The oval part is the best part. After years of owning a Volvo with a proper 60/40 folding rear seats, I opened up the ILX and TLX going "WTF THIS IS NEXT TO USELESS!"
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Good looking car, but man, that tranny's gotta be one of the Honda's worst executions in history. DCT's are known to be clunky at low speeds, but Honda took it to a whole new level.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
geokilla wrote: The oval part is the best part. After years of owning a Volvo with a proper 60/40 folding rear seats, I opened up the ILX and TLX going "WTF THIS IS NEXT TO USELESS!"
Haha, So true. I was actually looking at a used S60 before the TLX deal got posted.

Seriously WTF Honda:

It makes the “40” section almost useless since the arc cuts off half the opening…
Dec 12, 2012
483 posts
812 upvotes
Canada
er34er34 wrote: Good looking car, but man, that tranny's gotta be one of the Honda's worst executions in history. DCT's are known to be clunky at low speeds, but Honda took it to a whole new level.
I thought Dual Clutch was good (8 speed they got going on their 4 cylinder TLX)

it was V6 9-SPEED that has issues, no?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2507 upvotes
Alkoholik wrote:
er34er34 wrote: Good looking car, but man, that tranny's gotta be one of the Honda's worst executions in history. DCT's are known to be clunky at low speeds, but Honda took it to a whole new level.

There were some initial teething problems with the 8DCT, especially in the cold. I believe software fixed it.

I would recommend the Tech package, you get a lot for the extra cost. The extra assistance and safety features are nice, and the heated steering wheel is awesome in the winter.
Dec 12, 2012
483 posts
812 upvotes
Canada
SLee wrote:
Alkoholik wrote:

There were some initial teething problems with the 8DCT, especially in the cold. I believe software fixed it.

I would recommend the Tech package, you get a lot for the extra cost. The extra assistance and safety features are nice, and the heated steering wheel is awesome in the winter.
yeah I was looking at TECH package (V6 first now gearing towards 4cyl) ... all in 48months for a 4 banger with tech pkg I'm looking at $400 per month tax in --- Everybody says Acura had crazy deals last year but i dont know if ill get better than this at the moment.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pauly Boy wrote:
geokilla wrote: The oval part is the best part. After years of owning a Volvo with a proper 60/40 folding rear seats, I opened up the ILX and TLX going "WTF THIS IS NEXT TO USELESS!"
Haha, So true. I was actually looking at a used S60 before the TLX deal got posted.

Seriously WTF Honda:

It makes the “40” section almost useless since the arc cuts off half the opening…
I don't even know what's the point of that rear plastic trim. It's useless and completely not needed. If manufacturers like Volvo don't need it to keep their rear seats rigid, why does Honda need it? All they need is the top part to latch the seats in place!
SLee wrote:
Alkoholik wrote:

Tech package is only good if you like false alarms. Navigation is literally useless and my forward collision warning randomly goes off every so often. I'm lucky it doesn't auto brake for me!
Alkoholik wrote:
SLee wrote:
Alkoholik wrote:

yeah I was looking at TECH package (V6 first now gearing towards 4cyl) ... all in 48months for a 4 banger with tech pkg I'm looking at $400 per month tax in --- Everybody says Acura had crazy deals last year but i dont know if ill get better than this at the moment.
September promotions are over so you're looking at October promotion and incentives now.
Dec 12, 2012
483 posts
812 upvotes
Canada
geokilla wrote:
Pauly Boy wrote:

Seriously WTF Honda:

I don't even know what's the point of that rear plastic trim. It's useless and completely not needed. If manufacturers like Volvo don't need it to keep their rear seats rigid, why does Honda need it? All they need is the top part to latch the seats in place!
SLee wrote:
Alkoholik wrote:

Tech package is only good if you like false alarms. Navigation is literally useless and my forward collision warning randomly goes off every so often. I'm lucky it doesn't auto brake for me!
Alkoholik wrote:
SLee wrote:

September promotions are over so you're looking at October promotion and incentives now.
thats true, have to see if it got better or worse :)
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
I would cut it out if I owned the car.. makes more sense to have the entire opening,.

Miss the TL and the TSX! best cars before they combine this junk car. no 6 speed manual either!

oh well.. cheaper to buy used tsx.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
akito925 wrote: I would cut it out if I owned the car.. makes more sense to have the entire opening,.

Miss the TL and the TSX! best cars before they combine this junk car. no 6 speed manual either!

Previous GENs you only got a ski hole and the seats don't even fold down...LOL?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Bad deal. Just the payment itself seems really high. A 2017 might be a better deal if you are dead set on the TLX. Consider a 48 month lease instead of a 36 month lease. The payments will be substantially lower. For lease cars, the depreciation is generally the worst in the first two to three years of ownership.
I agree, I would do a 48 month.
However, it looks like he's getting a ~$5,200 discount which is over 10%, on a lease, with super low rate and fairly high residual. That's an excellent deal in my opinion. There won't be many cars in that class that can be had for such a low payment on a 36 month lease with nothing down.
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
akito925 wrote: I would cut it out if I owned the car.. makes more sense to have the entire opening,.

Hate to be factual but the 6 speed is basically dead in this segment now save for a few.