• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 3:07 pm
Sep 27, 2003
8797 posts
1845 upvotes
Newmarket
Ojam wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 7:14 pm
I think you need to look up how it's been twisted by people on the extreme right of the political spectrum. I'm not suggesting it should be filtered, but there is only 1 intention by the people who use it on this site, and that is as a personal attack, there should be zero tolerance by the mods when it's used.
I presume you're referring to posts made within OT? I've said it many times before but people need to grow a backbone in that section or simply opt out of participating there. If people are going to be offended by some words on a forum, perhaps they should find a new activity.

Report the offending post, we'll review it, and if it needs actioning, we will do so.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1749 posts
300 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:53 pm
I presume you're referring to posts made within OT? I've said it many times before but people need to grow a backbone in that section or simply opt out of participating there. If people are going to be offended by some words on a forum, perhaps they should find a new activity.
But is that what you really want Off Topic to be like? Enter at your own risk? Have a big, orange WARNING sign on top of the page? Because I still see oranr's sticky OT Guideline: Respecting Each Other - You are not allowed to attack, harass, taunt, incite, be rude, be disrespectful to any user.

I don't think any RFD member should need to restrict their browsing from any forums here, regardless of 'backbone'. That's why rules are in place for mods to enforce. As a community, we should be encouraging ALL RFDers to post in OT and that it's not something to be 'feared' only if they have the stomach for it.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
Adequate moderation is necessary whatever sub-forum it maybe. People shouldn't get the idea "hey this is internet I can say whatever the heck I want because I'm under anonymity". It's not a healthy thinking if you want to be a part of bigger community to share your views.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5669 posts
654 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:53 pm
I’m not the OP of this thread, so I’m not certain was on the person’s mind. But I think the comment, “If people are going to be offended by some words on a forum...” does not address the issue that the word “cuck” is always intended as a personal attack. (At least I have yet to see an example where it was intended to be a complement or neutral reference.)

There was previously discussion of the use of the term ******** and derivatives such as “********”. The word ******** can be used neutrally (e.g., the spark fire timing needed to be ******** for the engine to run smoothly.”)

I believe the word “********”, used only perjoratively to describe one as being “stupidly liberal” in their thinking, was found to be inappropriate for use on RFD because of the personal attack nature.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Sep 27, 2003
8797 posts
1845 upvotes
Newmarket
MexiCanuck wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:27 pm
I’m not the OP of this thread, so I’m not certain was on the person’s mind. But I think the comment, “If people are going to be offended by some words on a forum...” does not address the issue that the word “cuck” is always intended as a personal attack. (At least I have yet to see an example where it was intended to be a complement or neutral reference.)

There was previously discussion of the use of the term ******** and derivatives such as “********”. The word ******** can be used neutrally (e.g., the spark fire timing needed to be ******** for the engine to run smoothly.”)

I believe the word “********”, used only perjoratively to describe one as being “stupidly liberal” in their thinking, was found to be inappropriate for use on RFD because of the personal attack nature.
Censoring a word does not change the fact that a personal attack is a personal attack. Even with the word filtered, if someone personally attacks someone, users would still be offended and the mods would still enforce the rules accordingly. I think that's the point I am trying to make.

OT unfortunately requires a backbone until the admins decide to change the nature of that forum. I've pushed to remove political / religious discussion, but the admins do not want to do that at this time. Therefore, I've advised them that I mostly stay out of there unless there is something truly urgent that requires my attention. There are other mods though that have no issue moderating (and even participating) in OT.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8797 posts
1845 upvotes
Newmarket
akira1971 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:17 am
But is that what you really want Off Topic to be like? Enter at your own risk? Have a big, orange WARNING sign on top of the page? Because I still see oranr's sticky OT Guideline: Respecting Each Other - You are not allowed to attack, harass, taunt, incite, be rude, be disrespectful to any user.

I don't think any RFD member should need to restrict their browsing from any forums here, regardless of 'backbone'. That's why rules are in place for mods to enforce. As a community, we should be encouraging ALL RFDers to post in OT and that it's not something to be 'feared' only if they have the stomach for it.
I think I've addressed this in the post above this. Censoring a word does not remove one's ability to personal attack. If I call you a ***** ** ****, regardless of if the words are visible or not, the rules were still broken, and if reported, the mods would remedy the situation accordingly.

OT unfortunately has turned itself into an environment that needs a backbone. Hopefully some upcoming changes will help, but for now, that is the way that section is.
RFD Forums Moderator