• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2009 12:31 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 14, 2009
14 posts
Toronto

Adding a bathroom to a condo?

Hi, I am looking at moving into a condo/loft soon. It currently has only 1 bathroom, but I think I want 2 bathrooms. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a bathroom? Would it be like a regular reno where management needs to approve and that you don't modify load-bearing walls, etc, etc? Also, what would be the expected cost for a second full bathroom?
5 replies
Aug 2, 2008
179 posts
1 upvote
claringtonca
it's alot more expensive if the condo is high rise you need to specify
[OP]
Jan 14, 2009
14 posts
Toronto
thebuilder wrote:
Jan 15th, 2009 8:02 pm
it's alot more expensive if the condo is high rise you need to specify
Sorry, it is a low rise (10 floors) hardloft.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
91 upvotes
Oshawa
As for cost, your looking at big money if your even allowed.

Depending on the floor your on, if there's someone below you you'll need full access to their suite for a week or so to run all the necessary drains and piping. Also, you'll require a company to come in and core new holes through the slab if its concrete, which in most cases means you'll have to have all of the holes x-rayed before doing so.
I do the mechanical aspect of new construction condos and in my opinion, I highly doubt you'd be able to get a 2nd bathroom.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
FreeB wrote:
Jan 15th, 2009 7:57 pm
Hi, I am looking at moving into a condo/loft soon. It currently has only 1 bathroom, but I think I want 2 bathrooms. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a bathroom? Would it be like a regular reno where management needs to approve and that you don't modify load-bearing walls, etc, etc? Also, what would be the expected cost for a second full bathroom?
You don't have the roughin for you to install a bathroom. There is no way the condo board (not the management) will approve that because you need to do work outside of your unit.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
May 6, 2008
416 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Cheaper alternative would be to sell your place and buy a unit with 2 washrooms...

I highly doubt the management would allow you to do such a modification to your unit. Are their units in your building that have 2 washrooms? How much is the price difference?
Addy Saeed - Real Estate Sales Representative
My Toronto Blog - Need Real Estate Advice? - Each brokerage independently owned and operated. Not Intended to solicit buyers and sellers under agency contracts
Additional Disclosures
× < >