• Jan 21st, 2019 1:30 pm
[OP]
Sep 20, 2010
144 posts
34 upvotes
Hamilton

Adding a laundry sink to laundry room

Hi,

I currently have my washer and dryer side by side in the laundry room. Currently there is no sink and not enough room to add one unless I stack the washer and dryer. I'm ok with stacking, but just need some thoughts on how I would actually add a sink once they are stacked. From researching online, it looks like I would be able to use the existing plumbing for the sink drain. Plumbing is currently on the left side of the washer slightly higher than washer height. This is one of the issues because wouldn't the drain need to be below the laundry sink? How would I achieve that?

Is there anything else I need to take into consideration? It seems like a DIY project that I feel fairly comfortable with, minus figuring out how to do the drain part. I would be ok with a pro doing it as well if it's a reasonable cost. Attached some pics to give a better idea.
Images
  • IMG-20190111-WA0004.jpg
  • IMG-20190111-WA0003.jpg
  • IMG-20190111-WA0001.jpg
  • IMG-20190111-WA0007.jpg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2015 posts
567 upvotes
Whitby
I would suggest shining a flashlight into the opening in the wall to see if the washer drain hose is coupled to a drain down pipe in the wall.

If it is, you would cut the drywall lower on the wall, cut the drain pipe, and install a "T". Install your tub, tub drain, trap, and pipe to the "T"
[OP]
Sep 20, 2010
144 posts
34 upvotes
Hamilton
kryton619 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:50 am
I would suggest shining a flashlight into the opening in the wall to see if the washer drain hose is coupled to a drain down pipe in the wall.

If it is, you would cut the drywall lower on the wall, cut the drain pipe, and install a "T". Install your tub, tub drain, trap, and pipe to the "T"

Would the sink needs it's own trap? I would think the current washer drain already has a p trap from all the diagrams I have seen online. I'd have to open up the wall to be sure, but being a new build, I would think it does.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11772 posts
11409 upvotes
Oakville
kobe360 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:18 pm
Would the sink needs it's own trap? I would think the current washer drain already has a p trap from all the diagrams I have seen online. I'd have to open up the wall to be sure, but being a new build, I would think it does.
I think you're not supposed to have double P traps, but don't quote me on that.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2015 posts
567 upvotes
Whitby
kobe360 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:18 pm
Yes.....you would have to see the setup in the wall after opening it.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4360 posts
1799 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:13 pm
I think you're not supposed to have double P traps, but don't quote me on that.
Yeah, double traps are no no. The fixture will never drain properly.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3868 posts
3033 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, as others have said, cutting open the drywall below the drain opening, all the way down to the floor, is the only way to see what we have to do. Take your time and cut nicely (as opposed to smashing it with a hammer, etc.) and you can put the drywall back with just minor patching. If it was me, I would use my oscillating multi-tool and carefully just cut to the depth of the drywall to make sure I don't accidentally nick the supply or drain lines.

Is the laundry room on the second or ground floor? There may be a trap in the basement ceiling if the laundry room is on the ground floor, otherwise, it's behind the drywall. What's on the other side? A bathroom?

If the drain pipe goes straight down, it'll be a cinch to add a sink. As Jerico said, if it's wierd (horizontal run, etc.), then it won't be as easy.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2010
144 posts
34 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks for all the replies. I'll open up the drywall later today or tomorrow. Here is a pic of my basement. It looks like pipe does run horizontal then straight down. I don't see a trap here so it is likely above the floor. Btw laundry is first floor. Provided there is a trap, would I just install the sink without the trap (ie just horizontal pipe running to washer drain?).

Why do you say a horizontal pipe won't be as easy?
Images
  • upload.jpg
[OP]
Sep 20, 2010
144 posts
34 upvotes
Hamilton
This is what it looks like behind the drywall. Would I be safe to add a T above the trap and run a pipe to the sink?
Images
  • upload.jpg
Jan 12, 2017
555 posts
210 upvotes
Posters mean running horizontal in the wall, not in the floor.

If it's vertical in the wall, you just connect to it directly (ideally before the trap so the washer and sink share the same one). There will be one for the washer, just depends where it was installed..
kobe360 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:40 am
Thanks for all the replies. I'll open up the drywall later today or tomorrow. Here is a pic of my basement. It looks like pipe does run horizontal then straight down. I don't see a trap here so it is likely above the floor. Btw laundry is first floor. Provided there is a trap, would I just install the sink without the trap (ie just horizontal pipe running to washer drain?).

Why do you say a horizontal pipe won't be as easy?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4360 posts
1799 upvotes
Mississauga
No vent?

I guess to have the trap accessible, OP will need to replace the current trap and put in an access panel. Or relocate the trap to the open basement ceiling?
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3507 posts
1491 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:23 pm
No vent?

I guess to have the trap accessible, OP will need to replace the current trap and put in an access panel. Or relocate the trap to the open basement ceiling?
The vent would most likely be in the next stud space where it turns to go downstairs.