Home & Garden

Adding a recirculating hoodfan in addition to downdraft vent on stovetop?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 1:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 12, 2009
332 posts
35 upvotes

Adding a recirculating hoodfan in addition to downdraft vent on stovetop?

Long story short. Redoing
kitchen and wanted to go from a jenair downdraft vent to a regular hoodfan.

Turns out there is a beam in the way to vent outside and I am stuck with the downdraft vent ( probably why previous owner did it this way).

I really like the look of the regular hood fan and want.to buy a recirculating charcoal hoodfan to.put over the stove top. Would this affect the performance of the downdraft vent if I have both on by pulling the air away from the downdraft?

I would buy a low cfm cheapo model just for the look.
3 replies
Jul 7, 2017
468 posts
155 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
A recirculating hood probably doesn't work too well and a cheap one even less so. I'd research effectiveness first. I don't think it'll affect the downdraft too much as fans really only move air that is pretty much has risen into the hood already.

Just wondering, where is the beam exactly? You could always offset?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Apr 12, 2009
332 posts
35 upvotes
The beam is directly where I would exhaust outside. The side of my kitchen has a little extension with windows going to my deck. It sticks out a bit from the main house and the beam followed the regular house shape. Kinda hard to explain.
Jul 7, 2017
468 posts
155 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Can't vent above the beam or to the side?

Otherwise, you could put a 10" x 3.5" rectangular duct in the wall and hook up to the downdraft vent. Not the best solution but better than a cheap recirculator.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)