Home & Garden

Addition Estimates All Over The Place- UPDATED My experience getting an addition

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 7:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes

Addition Estimates All Over The Place- UPDATED My experience getting an addition

I recently purchased a bungalow in downtown Toronto and would like to add a second floor. I have met with two builders so far and the estimates have been vastly different. Both meetings were about an hour and I described what we were looking to have done. An 800 sqft addition with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a laundry room. The main floor (1000sqft) needs to be gutted as well, with the electrical and HVAC to be redone.

One estimate came in at $700,000 and the other $400,000.

We vaguely discussed finishes, but I am starting to think I should just be getting estimates for structure. The finishes swing so wildly that it might be chewing the estimates.

Thoughts?
Last edited by dgnr8 on Dec 15th, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
164 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
Did they just pull numbers out of their ass? What written estimate with all changes and exact specifications did they give you? Just sit down and compare.

If they pulled their numbers out of their ass for a 3/4 mil job i woudlnt trust them to build me a $100 doghouse.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
It was a preliminary visit, but yes, numbers out of the air.

For each visit we spoke for about an hour and then they ball parked a figure.

Next week I am meeting with a modular builder who said they actually provide a written estimate at the end of the meeting.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1392 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
Get 3 estimates, and ask for the quote in writing. Once they put pen to paper, they will give you an idea of pricing pretty fast, and it may not line up with their numbers provided already.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1042 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 10:29 pm
Did they just pull numbers out of their ass? What written estimate with all changes and exact specifications did they give you? Just sit down and compare.

If they pulled their numbers out of their ass for a 3/4 mil job i woudlnt trust them to build me a $100 doghouse.
Probably the higher quote does not want to do such a small job and overpriced it so they can move on. $400k for 800sq.ft. is also a high quote. But I'm sure they will ask OP to provide them floor plans to get a better quote.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
Also get an estimate for teardown and rebuild. It's a necessary comparison point if you're embarking on a major renovation like this.

Keep in mind that major projects like this generally run over budget by 25% (if you're diligent and tight-fisted) to 100% (if you are easily persuaded to upgrade every little thing).
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1392 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
Faemow wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 10:52 am
$400k for 800sq.ft. is also a high quote.
Not necessarily. Just some very rough numbers below, but the costs add up quick:

Mobilization 5k
Demolition 15k
Structural/Framing 50k
HVAC 20k
Plumbing 20k
Electrical 20k
Roof 5k
Reclad Exterior 30k
Windows 25k
Insulation 10k
Drywall 15k
Paint 5k
Trim/Baseboard/Doors 10k
Tile/Hardwood 10k
Kitchen 25k
Bathrooms x 2 15k

Right there is 280k; add 20% for the GC, and another 13% for HST and you are at 380k. Note: this does not include things like permits, fireplaces, fixtures, landscaping, etc. etc. etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1042 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
James_TheVirus wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 1:50 pm
Not necessarily. Just some very rough numbers below, but the costs add up quick:

Mobilization 5k
Demolition 15k
Structural/Framing 50k
HVAC 20k
Plumbing 20k
Electrical 20k
Roof 5k
Reclad Exterior 30k
Windows 25k
Insulation 10k
Drywall 15k
Paint 5k
Trim/Baseboard/Doors 10k
Tile/Hardwood 10k
Kitchen 25k
Bathrooms x 2 15k

Right there is 280k; add 20% for the GC, and another 13% for HST and you are at 380k. Note: this does not include things like permits, fireplaces, fixtures, landscaping, etc. etc. etc.
I think I misread the part where OP wants to gut the main floor and do a complete reno. This is a good ballpark breakdown.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
I'm ok with $3-400,000 my concern is that it is hard to choose a builder when the estimates swing so wildly. I appreciate that it is not worth a builder's time to do a detailed estimate for everyone who walks in off the street, but they should be able to start with a base price and then indicate that issues with the home can cause fluctuations.

My new strategy is to just ask for an estimate for the addition, without the main floor reno.

Meeting with more builders this week.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3815 posts
1112 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: The challenge with getting estimates where you don't have written specifications, an engineering assessment, and/or drawings is that the builder must make a lot of assumptions. Some will take the approach of padding the estimate to provide a cushion for those assumptions to fall on the costly side and others will estimate at the lower range, land the job, and then watch the scope and budget grow from there. Trust me, once they start looking at the structure, the foundation, etc and begin pulling the plaster/drywall off the walls, costs will firm up - and usually climb. Those that estimate higher are often smarter (not necessarily better) as they are testing to see if your budget is really sufficient to handle a project whereas sometimes the lowball builder just really needs the job.

If you're gutting the first floor and adding a second, have you considered knocking it down and doing a rebuild? How old is the house?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1392 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
It is very difficult, if not impossible to throw on a second story without doing work to the first story. Think about it...you will lose every bit of ceiling which contacts the roof, then new services need to be run and tied into. You may also need to replace some of the existing. Then, you have all the new structure to place in walls, etc.

At that point, the whole first floor is pretty well torn apart anyways.

My suggestion is to get plans drawn up by an architect and then take that for pricing and also get a zoning certificate which doesn't cost all that much, but confirms that you can build what you drew up without having to go to Community of Adjustments. This will be a lengthy process before you even get started.
Banned
Aug 28, 2017
301 posts
362 upvotes
so you are basically building a new house.....$500,000 sounds about right....but will end up probably being more once all is said and done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
We originally wanted a new build, but while interviewing builders we routinely heard that the narrowness of the lot and the permit situation in Toronto makes it easier to go through the process of an addition.

That's why we are concerned about the pricing. If I am paying the same as a new build, I would rather a new build. When I meet with the modular builder on Wednesday I am going to ask for pricing to take us to the point of insulation. I hope that helps limit some of the pricing variables.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7383 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
What neighbourhood and what builders are you meeting with?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2015 posts
493 upvotes
Montreal
If you want to get accurate pricing, you need complete specifications with plans.

You don't seem to know exactly what you want/need. The contractors are just gonna give you ballpark figures but that's worth nothing. Their price is going to change when you get back to them with a set of plans and specs.