Home & Garden

Addition Estimates All Over The Place- UPDATED My experience getting an addition

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 9:11 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5546 posts
1266 upvotes
Whitby
straysheepie wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 8:38 am
that and the AC are quiet, there are no filters to clean.
You sure?

Window ac's are energy hogs, mini splits are better option for homes with no ducts.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15231 posts
4478 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 7:57 am
You sure?

Window ac's are energy hogs, mini splits are better option for homes with no ducts.
It depends on the house layout and how the home is used, minisplits are single room heaters/coolers unless your open concept, have low cooling loads and can live without closing bedroom doors at night unless they have several heads
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6232 posts
4764 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Zamboni wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 7:57 am

You sure?

And who reno's a house and leaves ghetto window ACs?

Mini splits have filters that need regular cleaning also. And they can get musty and require thorough cleanings. It's not set it and forget it. And yes, absolutely better than any window AC from an efficiency and asthetics point of view.

Some bizarre preferences going on here. Next up...why have indoor toilets, outhouses where so much better when I was travelling in the desert.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5900 posts
3097 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
cartfan123 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 11:42 am
And who reno's a house and leaves ghetto window ACs?

Mini splits have filters that need regular cleaning also. And they can get musty and require thorough cleanings. It's not set it and forget it. And yes, absolutely better than any window AC from an efficiency and asthetics point of view.

Some bizarre preferences going on here. Next up...why have indoor toilets, outhouses where so much better when I was travelling in the desert.
I also dont understand why you would tear apart an ild house and not put in some kind of forced air heating and central air. We went through an old house before we bought our current house and it had no AC and baseboard heating which was a total turn off for us. We would have had to build in the cost to update it onto our offer had we gone with that place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2930 posts
1108 upvotes
This article identifies some of the reasons I am looking at keeping radiant heating: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/forced ... iant-heat/

Summary: better air quality and lack of dryness in the winter.

We have 2 ductless units right now and love the way they instantly cool a room. We have also seen an AC system for the attic that could easily cool the second floor without bulky equipment.

Modern radiators are much smaller and nicer than the big ones I have right now. Also, in the area I live in, homes with upgraded radiator heating and an AC solution are coveted.

Done well I really believe radiant heating is the better option.

On the other hand a strait forward HVAC system with a really good air purifier isn't a terrible solution.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Jan 12, 2017
335 posts
103 upvotes
Forced air heating might be quicker to heat up and a relatively simple system fix, but it's definitely nowhere close to the comfort and quality of a good radiant heat system - that's why you'll find that all truly high end homes are built with radiant heating (usually floor)
Chickinvic wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 10:02 pm
I also dont understand why you would tear apart an ild house and not put in some kind of forced air heating and central air. We went through an old house before we bought our current house and it had no AC and baseboard heating which was a total turn off for us. We would have had to build in the cost to update it onto our offer had we gone with that place.
Jul 21, 2013
81 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
We're a few years away from looking into adding an addition to downtown bungalow vs Buying a two story and renovating, however I do have one question.

Most home additions in our area appear to go with stucco over brick, is this because of cost? Is there a big difference in terms of maintenance and longevity
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2930 posts
1108 upvotes
lestat83 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 3:06 pm
We're a few years away from looking into adding an addition to downtown bungalow vs Buying a two story and renovating, however I do have one question.

Most home additions in our area appear to go with stucco over brick, is this because of cost? Is there a big difference in terms of maintenance and longevity
From most expensive to least

Brick
Hardie board
Stucco
Vinyl

Our first choice was stucco, then we drove around for a while looking at houses. We settled with hardie board in the front, and vinyl on the other three sides.

Our committee of adjustment date was moved up by a month today. It won't really impact our build date, but it will be nice to get it out of the way in September.

We weren't notified, our builder was. I found that kind of weird because all other communication from the city came to us.

We have been getting estimates for different parts of the job and they are all in line with what the addition builder gave us minus the 20% gc fee.

Still stuck on the radiator vs forced air debate. We know we want radiators but the ductless ac option isn't optimal. The forced air estimate came in at around $16,000 for everything. That's drawings, permits, ducts, furnace and ac. We are waiting for the radiator estimate so that may be the deciding factor.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10033 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto
lestat83 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 3:06 pm

It's the best option for older homes for insulation purposes since most homes in the GTA being built leave a few of the old walls up for permit/construction benefit purposes.
Jul 21, 2013
81 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:19 pm
It's the best option for older homes for insulation purposes since most homes in the GTA being built leave a few of the old walls up for permit/construction benefit purposes.
Stucco provides better insulation?

I think we'd probably go the route of leaving a few walls up, I just assumed we'd build new walls with brick, though I've only seen stucco additions.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5234 posts
866 upvotes
lestat83 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:48 pm
Stucco provides better insulation?

yes -- it's basically Styrofoam
Jul 5, 2005
142 posts
8 upvotes
dgnr8 - I'm curious whether you are putting in a full basement under the addition?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2930 posts
1108 upvotes
8675309 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 1:26 am
dgnr8 - I'm curious whether you are putting in a full basement under the addition?
No, basement is partially finished right now.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2930 posts
1108 upvotes
Update

Committee of Adjustment happened this week. I was in and out of city hall in 10 minutes. None of my neighbours showed up and all I had to say was my name when called upon.

I would say of the 20 or so applications that were being heard only 2-3 had neighbours there to object.

Now my neighbours have 3 more weeks to appeal before permits will be applied for.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Oct 11, 2008
12 posts
4 upvotes
To weigh in on FA vs rads... I grew up with FA and now have rads, I much prefer FA for many reasons: 1) the speed at which it can heat the air vs rads which will cool down at greatly varied temperatures and take a long time to heat back up 2) much LESS dry than rads due to central humidifier 3) central air and heat is more even unless you have in-floor radiant throughout 4) ductless wall units are usually only needed upstairs where bedrooms are closed off by doors rather than open concept and therefore multiple units are needed. 5) rads get very hot to touch with kids around. 6) unless you have new rads or in floor, they take up space and look - if you cover them they lose efficacy and need to keep access to bleed valves open.