Home & Garden

Addition Estimates All Over The Place- UPDATED My experience getting an addition

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 7:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
Update

Filed for permits 2 weeks ago. Also applied to injure a city tree that is close to my property (about 8 feet from the house). We had to get an arborist's report for that application. We are unlikely to actually injure the tree, but need to leave a deposit with the city in case we do. It will take 6-8 weeks for the city to assess the size of the deposit (could be thousands) and we can't start building until that is done.

Our goal is to start construction in March. Biggest lesson for anyone planning a similar project is to buy a house that is livable while you wait for this process to play out. I can't imagine paying rent while waiting for permits.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
Also, radiators are out. All the estimates we got to run radiator heating were in the $30-40,000 range. Way out of our budget.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
Updated costs so far:

10% deposit for the addition
$2000 soil test
$2000 land survey
$950 asbestos and whole house contaminant tests
$570 zoning certificate fee
$1580 Committee of Adjustment Fee
$2000 permit fee
$340 application to injure a tree
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Mar 25, 2002
518 posts
55 upvotes
Nice updates.

I'm in the process as well of renovating a newly purchased home in high park.

Right now we are finalizing our drawings, and working on the space planning with the designer.

Ideally we want to start building in July, however this will depend on COA
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1042 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
zeroburn wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 11:42 pm
Ideally we want to start building in July, however this will depend on COA
Just curious, you're in the queue right?
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
Even once your COA date comes (which takes months), you still have a while before you get permits. We still don't have out permits and COA happened a few months ago.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Jul 7, 2007
421 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Good choice going with Modular as they have a good reputation and do good work. I understand the frustration of getting permits as it took forever with the city of toronto as I built a new house last year. Good luck with the reno!! Subscribed.
Mar 25, 2002
518 posts
55 upvotes
Faemow wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:17 am
Just curious, you're in the queue right?
Not yet, going to apply for a zoning certificate shortly, I'm really hoping to start construction by July, but more realistically October...
Oct 9, 2018
64 posts
16 upvotes
I'm also following your thread! I recently purchased a 77 y/o bungalow in East York that I would like to add a second storey to. Every third house has either a second story top up or has been demo'd and there's a new build so the only issues I would face would be picking a contractor/builder and waiting for permits. Curious to hear how you like working with Modular Homes
Waiting a couple years until we need the space to do it... it's certainly interesting to see how fast builders build in my neighbourhood!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
dflamez wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 4:54 pm
I'm also following your thread! I recently purchased a 77 y/o bungalow in East York that I would like to add a second storey to. Every third house has either a second story top up or has been demo'd and there's a new build so the only issues I would face would be picking a contractor/builder and waiting for permits. Curious to hear how you like working with Modular Homes
Waiting a couple years until we need the space to do it... it's certainly interesting to see how fast builders build in my neighbourhood!
So far so good with Modular, but we haven't started building. They have really taken care of almost everything so far and are really good at getting back to me when I have questions.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1392 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
Have they CR'd you to death yet? That would be my only worry...right after the contract getting signed and they start saying it wasn't included. Has that started? I don't have experience with them...I am just genuinely curious.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
James_TheVirus wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 7:16 am
Have they CR'd you to death yet? That would be my only worry...right after the contract getting signed and they start saying it wasn't included. Has that started? I don't have experience with them...I am just genuinely curious.
Not once so far. At the first meeting they give you a very thorough estimate package. That being said we still haven’t started building. Time will tell.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Mar 1, 2017
247 posts
47 upvotes
I’m not planning a similar reno, but found this to be a really interesting and detailed post with good insights - thanks OP!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
Still waiting for permits. We called the permit office and they said we should have them for Friday.

While we have been waiting we have been interviewing contractors for different parts of the job. Trusted Pros has been a great resource, but the most timely part has been checking references.

For those interested in the numbers, we are forecasting the cost going forward, so without development fees, to come in at about $370,000. Add about $20,000 for development fees and the cost of a rental when we move out.

The modular company priced out all the work so it has given us great numbers to start with when we meet with our own contractors. The modular estimates have been 15-30% higher than the contractors we have met with, which is great because it gives us a good contingency fund.

Estimates for contractors booked (without HST):

Demolition with asbestos removal (only a little asbestos in the basement): $15,000
Framed addition, completely finished from the outside, but not the inside, and windows for 2 floors: $150,000
HVAC: $16,000 (includes humidifier, furnace, AC and 50L hot water tank)
Plumbing: $14,000
Electrical $16,000
Drywall and insulation: $28,000

Still lots of estimates to work through so this list will continue to grow as I update.

Lastly, I have done some research on the Ontario HST rebate and we would qualify for the max of $16,000 so look into it if you are doing a major reno. We don't qualify for the federal rebate because of the house value.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Apr 17, 2016
132 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
dgnr8 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:02 pm
Still Lastly, I have done some research on the Ontario HST rebate and we would qualify for the max of $16,000 so look into it if you are doing a major reno. We don't qualify for the federal rebate because of the house value.
This is interesting..can you point me in the direction to read more about this rebate and how to apply for it? Did a quick Google search but not sure if I am looking up the right thing... I am renovating 100% of habital space in my house (interior gutted to studs on both floors) and any rebate I can get would help a ton!