Home & Garden

Addition Estimates All Over The Place- UPDATED My experience getting an addition

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 4:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2924 posts
1101 upvotes
Everything you need can be found at the links below. I am part of a local Facebook renovations group and many have applied and they received the money in about 5 weeks.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-a ... BUjwBENl48

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-a ... uaBArMv4hc

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-a ... -Et7XZ9fRc

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-a ... PSLUGTWJ-8
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Jul 21, 2013
80 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
I really appreciate this thread, we'll be making a decision about building a second storey or demolishing and building a new house in three years.

Did you consider demolishing and building a new house? If so, can you remember the price difference? (I've heard roughly double)
dgnr8 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:02 pm
For those interested in the numbers, we are forecasting the cost going forward, so without development fees, to come in at about $370,000. Add about $20,000 for development fees and the cost of a rental when we move out.
The modular company priced out all the work so it has given us great numbers to start with when we meet with our own contractors. The modular estimates have been 15-30% higher than the contractors we have met with, which is great because it gives us a good contingency fund.
Did the Modular company price $370k and through managing the job yourself you're finding that costs are coming in 15-30% less?

Is Modular when they essentially build the outer walls off-site and transport them in? What materials do they use and do have a long lifetime?

We've got a number of second storey additions in our area, some appear to have gone up in a matter of months (I assume modular?), while others have been dragging on for over a year. There seems to be a lot of options.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2924 posts
1101 upvotes
lestat83 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:37 am
I really appreciate this thread, we'll be making a decision about building a second storey or demolishing and building a new house in three years.

Did you consider demolishing and building a new house? If so, can you remember the price difference? (I've heard roughly double)

Did the Modular company price $370k and through managing the job yourself you're finding that costs are coming in 15-30% less?

Is Modular when they essentially build the outer walls off-site and transport them in? What materials do they use and do have a long lifetime?

We've got a number of second storey additions in our area, some appear to have gone up in a matter of months (I assume modular?), while others have been dragging on for over a year. There seems to be a lot of options.
$370,000 is the reduced cost by acting as our own GC.

Modular builds the outer walls offsite so they claim the process will take a maximum of 4 weeks. I am sceptical about how that is possible, but all of their references confirmed that they were done in 3-4 weeks. By done they meant completely finished on the outside and framed on the inside.

We met with 2 builders to take about starting over and the cost was about $800,000. To be fair, those estimates were for a 3 level house with a finished basement and a built in garage.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Jul 21, 2013
80 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
dgnr8 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:14 pm

Modular builds the outer walls offsite so they claim the process will take a maximum of 4 weeks. I am sceptical about how that is possible, but all of their references confirmed that they were done in 3-4 weeks. By done they meant completely finished on the outside and framed on the inside.

We met with 2 builders to take about starting over and the cost was about $800,000. To be fair, those estimates were for a 3 level house with a finished basement and a built in garage.
Thanks that makes sense.

Again, I'm very happy with this thread, I'll be watching it very closely.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1323 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
dgnr8 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:14 pm

So you are using Modular for the shell + exterior and then GC'ing yourself from there on out? We found TrustedPros to be the best place to find contractors...

Also, no HRV for your HVAC? Will the plumber be replacing the main drains?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2924 posts
1101 upvotes
Permits were approved today. No deposit was required for the tree beside us on the city’s property. We will be signing contracts over the next 2 weeks.

Hoping to start March or April.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2924 posts
1101 upvotes
James_TheVirus wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:48 pm
So you are using Modular for the shell + exterior and then GC'ing yourself from there on out? We found TrustedPros to be the best place to find contractors...

Also, no HRV for your HVAC? Will the plumber be replacing the main drains?
Yup, modular for the shell and we are GC’Ing for the rest.

Also, yes to the HRV.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1109 posts
37 upvotes
Enjoying your thread. I am also going through a major renovation (complete gut of a back split house putting on a top floor addition and underpinng the crawl space by 4 feet). We are in North York which is a bit more difficult to deal with.

It took me 7 months to get my permits (this is way after I already got my committee of adjustment approvals). It was a horrific process being bounced around by different reviewed and trying to get my engineer / architect to make changes. A back split house is more difficult too.

I am taking a different route and hired a general contractor. This is my second kick at the can to get it going. I learned that no amount of research can get us into the trades network and get high quality trades.

Also with a major reno, there is just too much to learn unless you are planning to supervise full time.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1759 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
lestat83 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:37 am

It was roughly 40k difference for us, just few month ago.
Jul 21, 2013
80 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:48 am
It was roughly 40k difference for us, just few month ago.
That's interesting.

What was the estimate?

Also, was it a custom build?

This may be a sign of how new I am to all this, but I'm struggling to find builders who don't do custom builds, where are the builders who have a number of set plans you can choose from (for downtown GTA)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1759 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
lestat83 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 1:09 pm
That's interesting.

What was the estimate?

Also, was it a custom build?

This may be a sign of how new I am to all this, but I'm struggling to find builders who don't do custom builds, where are the builders who have a number of set plans you can choose from (for downtown GTA)
It's a custom build that I manage myself. I am just starting framing so long way before I can provide any solid numbers for a complete job.