For admins: Weekly e-mail notifications don't work anymore

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 10:56 am
[OP]
Aug 1, 2006
945 posts
51 upvotes

For admins: Weekly e-mail notifications don't work anymore

I've been a long-time and loyal subscriber to the Personal Finance forum. I am set up to receive weekly notifications by e-mail whenever new threads are posted to this forum. But something seems to have happened since the latest security vulnerabilities were found (not sure about the timeline, but it may be as long as 3-4 months ago) - because I am no longer receiving this notifications BY E-MAIL. The only thing I see is the alerts/notification thingy when I log into my account.

I am definitely activated for receiving e-mails. And everything was working well until 3-4 months ago. Admins/mods, I appreciate if you could take a look at this?
My current settings for this forum: Notification, Email (weekly).

I'm not even sure that I'll get e-mail notifications (instant ones) for any replies that might be posted to this thread. I'll make sure to check on this regularly, just to be sure.
Also, there seems to be an issue with this "new thread post" web page, 'cause I see this checkbox enabled "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes through:" but I fail to see any option below that (the way the caption of that option is phrased, seem to imply an enumeration of other sub-options, which I do not see).

Thank you.
9 replies
[OP]
Aug 1, 2006
945 posts
51 upvotes
Still doesn't work. Getting a ton of notifications (under the "bell icon") but no e-mails. And even though I've set everything up to be exactly the opposite (i.e. no alerts, and just e-mails).
Please advise - what do I have to do? Is my username in some sort of limbo state? Do I have to re-create myself as a new user? What's going on?.

Thanks.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8137 posts
12557 upvotes
Scarborough
smihaila wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 8:38 pm
Still doesn't work. Getting a ton of notifications (under the "bell icon") but no e-mails. And even though I've set everything up to be exactly the opposite (i.e. no alerts, and just e-mails).
Please advise - what do I have to do? Is my username in some sort of limbo state? Do I have to re-create myself as a new user? What's going on?.

Thanks.
First I've heard of weekly emails not working. I'll dig around to see what I can find.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Aug 1, 2006
945 posts
51 upvotes
Could it be that I've reached some max limit for the number of threads that I'm currently subscribed to (all belonging to the same, Personal Finance forum)?
Thank you for your time.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2006
945 posts
51 upvotes
As of 07/10/2017 7:34 PM Mountain Time, it started to work again - I've deliberately flipped the email notification setting from "weekly" to "instant" last Saturday/Sunday (which still wasn't working) - and now I began receiving e-mail i.e. "New thread - "How Likely Am I To Get An Increase On My Student Line Of Credit".

That's super cool. I presume the daily and weekly email notifications will work as well?
I'm curious what the problem was, technically.

Thanks again for your assistance!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8137 posts
12557 upvotes
Scarborough
smihaila wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 9:37 pm
As of 07/10/2017 7:34 PM Mountain Time, it started to work again - I've deliberately flipped the email notification setting from "weekly" to "instant" last Saturday/Sunday (which still wasn't working) - and now I began receiving e-mail i.e. "New thread - "How Likely Am I To Get An Increase On My Student Line Of Credit".

That's super cool. I presume the daily and weekly email notifications will work as well?
I'm curious what the problem was, technically.

Thanks again for your assistance!
I know instant and daily emails were working because I subscribe to a few of those myself. I thought the issue was specifically with the weekly email. I'll still check into that in case there is an issue with that particular notification type.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2006
945 posts
51 upvotes
Well, even the daily wasn't working, so when I started to see the dailies coming in as of yesterday, I have a high degree of confidence that also the weekly works.
I've flipped it to weekly and shall post back here by the next Monday (the weekly usually show up on Sunday evening or Monday morning).

Thanks again!
[OP]
Aug 1, 2006
945 posts
51 upvotes
Status update: The weekly e-mail notification still does NOT work...
Very odd to see only the "instant" and "daily" working.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8137 posts
12557 upvotes
Scarborough
smihaila wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:13 pm
Status update: The weekly e-mail notification still does NOT work...
Very odd to see only the "instant" and "daily" working.
Can you please post or PM me a screenshot of your subscriptions page?
[OP]
Aug 1, 2006
945 posts
51 upvotes
Sure, here it is (bottom of the page captured):
RedflagDealsAccountSubscriptionsPage.png
I am currently subscribed to 1 forum, and about 39 pages x 30 threads / page == 1,170 threads from that very same forum.
Hope this is helpful.

Thank you.