Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes

ADT Home Alarm question

We just moved into our house and we have an alarm from ADT that is not monitored. We're unable to set the alarm because it says "FC" on the screen. We've checked the manual and cant find any info about this, and ADT is no help because they are not monitoring the system. All the windows and doors have been checked as well and we still get the "FC."
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
1268 posts
7 upvotes
FC means "Failed to Communicate"

possible causes
-no dial tone at alarm panel
-CA38A jack wired in reverse
-long distance number programmed - when not long distance
-no long distance programmed - when long distance
-account has been deactivated at monitoring end so they have no clue where the signals are coming from (most likely)
Jun 14, 2008
120 posts
11 upvotes
Regina
If it was an ADT installed alarm system they own it. When the monitoring contract expired the system is essentially disconnected. If you want to use it you will have to get a monitoring contract with them. They will not tear out the system if you don't want to use it unless you pay them to do it (if at all). If you want to get another vendor's system, they will require the ADT system removed (since they don't own it). If you call ADT they should explain all this to you and give you a quote for monitoring.

Even with all this I have used ADT for years and find them no worse or better than the other major vendors.

Cheers,
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1792 posts
69 upvotes
an ADT dealer came by my house tonight and offer me an ADT package for $29.99 +GST per month, 2 keypad, all door and window contact on main and basement floor. 3 year contract and I own the DSC system afterward.

Question is, can I make use of the DSC system after 3 year with out having monitor from ADT? He said I can use it as a local alarm without monitor or sign up with anyone else for cheaper monitoring.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa
zzricezz wrote:
Oct 1st, 2009 1:25 am
an ADT dealer came by my house tonight and offer me an ADT package for $29.99 +GST per month, 2 keypad, all door and window contact on main and basement floor. 3 year contract and I own the DSC system afterward.

Question is, can I make use of the DSC system after 3 year with out having monitor from ADT? He said I can use it as a local alarm without monitor or sign up with anyone else for cheaper monitoring.
You should be able to do either without a problem. The question is why you would bother. Local alarms are less effective as neighbours mostly ignore them. Locally monitored alarms are another matter altogether but this service is typically pricier.

We're on our second system - this one is an ADT that we now own. We pay the same $30/mo. but our system includes a sump and carbon monoxide alarms (only one keypad though)
× < >