• Aug 2nd, 2015 9:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Lots, but usually from within (and goes for even the educated). People want to promote their own first.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Dec 7, 2006
466 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: dude, sitting at home and studying your brains does not mean you are smart.. that's what a lot of these people are doing... and if you think they are getting jobs.... i think reality will be harsh to them.
It does show discipline, patience, memory recall, etc. Formal education (undergrad) teaches someone how to learn, and that's a very important skill to have. At the end of the day, it takes a well rounded person unless the role is technical in nature so there is no right or wrong answer. However, in general, to move up in a Fortune 1000 company, a person with a formal education (college or University) will typically stand a better chance vs someone with a high school diploma. That, I don't think anyone can disagree with.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
pchan83 wrote: It does show discipline, patience, memory recall, etc. Formal education (undergrad) teaches someone how to learn, and that's a very important skill to have. At the end of the day, it takes a well rounded person unless the role is technical in nature so there is no right or wrong answer. However, in general, to move up in a Fortune 1000 company, a person with a formal education (college or University) will typically stand a better chance vs someone with a high school diploma. That, I don't think anyone can disagree with.
hahaha the same old rehashed story repeated here time and time again

"teaches you how to learn"
Dec 7, 2006
466 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: hahaha the same old rehashed story repeated here time and time again

"teaches you how to learn"
Lol everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you don't believe in education, there's nobody forcing you to partake. I'm sharing my observations from 3 different Fortune 500 corporations that I've worked for. Although I didn't do a post-grad, or get a prestigious degree, I value what I got out of my post-secondary education (which I paid for on my own).
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton
Depends on the settting. In car dealerships you can move up the latter with a criminal record lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton
daivey wrote: if you're not dumb, then yes you can.... but the majority of people are clueless individuals, therefore they need a university degree to kind of "prove" that they are not "that dumb".

most people even with degrees are pretty dumb though.

we have the largest majority of highly educated dumb people... it's mind boggling that you can have a degree and be so stupid.
I agree. Alot of people who are good with books are a lot less bright at many simple tasks.

none the less i still think if you can get good grades it means you do have some good qualities.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2241 posts
447 upvotes
CalgaryExotics wrote: I agree. Alot of people who are good with books are a lot less bright at many simple tasks.

none the less i still think if you can get good grades it means you do have some good qualities.
the thing is, at the leadership/management/executive level, they don't need people who can do a simple task.
the formal education part teaches you analytic skills, the financial modelling and analysis, the relationship management skills etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8946 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
In general, you get paid 5-10% more if you have formal education. So it's true when they say "education pays itself in the long run".
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton
c_snapper wrote: the thing is, at the leadership/management/executive level, they don't need people who can do a simple task.
the formal education part teaches you analytic skills, the financial modelling and analysis, the relationship management skills etc.
I think that if you want to succeed without a formal education, you must think outside the box, be a hustler, and work smarter then everyone.

Again just cause someone can do well on a test doesn;t mean they are bright. After all alot of people go to post secondary because they don;t know what else to do.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3867 upvotes
Antarctica
CalgaryExotics wrote: I think that if you want to succeed without a formal education, you must think outside the box, be a hustler, and work smarter then everyone.

Again just cause someone can do well on a test doesn;t mean they are bright. After all alot of people go to post secondary because they don;t know what else to do.
Or use it at means to open doors. Some times one is looking for a way to start hustling. No one said you can't do so while studying at a post secondary institute.

Some of us use it as means to escape from the frozen wastelands :)
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
c_snapper wrote: the thing is, at the leadership/management/executive level, they don't need people who can do a simple task.
education teaches your relationship management? didn't know you can learn this in a book.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton
Crichtonfan wrote: Or use it at means to open doors. Some times one is looking for a way to start hustling. No one said you can't do so while studying at a post secondary institute.

Some of us use it as means to escape from the frozen wastelands :)

When I say hustling I mean that is a sales sense. Starting your own company, growing ur wealth etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3867 upvotes
Antarctica
CalgaryExotics wrote: When I say hustling I mean that is a sales sense. Starting your own company, growing ur wealth etc.
Yeah, I mean that too. I see university as just another area to make connections, identify markets, and use resources and knowledge to start a solution to a problem and sell it. Most students see it as a marks based ritual and expect a mundane job they will hate later on.

Sometimes you need a little formal education to break into an industry where you would later make an impact. There are mechanical engineering students using 3D printers in their schools to kickstart their business campaigns for a solution they devised.

Of course that's one of many paths one can take to succeed in life. Nothing has to be set in stone.
Dec 25, 2010
502 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
barnacules of youtubes worked at microsoft, he was home-schooled without a degree
#Mushrooms
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
I know someone who did no post-secondary and is a divisional VP at The Bay. He started working there during high school, on the floor, ~27 yrs ago.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jun 14, 2015
90 posts
38 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
daivey wrote: education teaches your relationship management? didn't know you can learn this in a book.
I was surprised to learn that textbooks exist on human relations management and they are actually backed with credible scientific experiments. However, it really comes down to becoming more self-aware.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)