Careers

Advice, advice...how to go about negotiate for a gov. job?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 4:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
310 posts
33 upvotes

Advice, advice...how to go about negotiate for a gov. job?

So I just got an contract extension offer and the gov. told me I am selected for a position, half hour apart . Life hasn't been easy for me. Most people graduated the same year and same field as me probably at least managerial level now. and here I am just happy to get something. so I really need your good advice here.

As a tiny female, I want the gov. job, but the monetary difference between IT consulting and perm is substantial, up to 30K. so I am wondering how to talk to the manager/contact person to negotiate to a higher step of the position?

I really don't want to mess things up. So thank you in advance!
Last edited by 1000islands on Nov 8th, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25424 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
1000islands wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:55 pm
I am selected half hour apart.
I don't understand what this means

Did you get an offer for a permanent position with a $30,000 pay cut?
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
310 posts
33 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:14 pm
I don't understand what this means

Did you get an offer for a permanent position with a $30,000 pay cut?
just edited for more clarity...can't say it's a pay cut. because one is less than one year contracting job, while the gov. one is perm.

I need to response by tomorrow...my nerve...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25424 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Okay,

A. You're currently working on a contract position that was recently renewed.
B. Half an hour later, you were offered a government position that pays $30,000 less than your current contract (annually)

If that is the case, I suggest you talk to the government recruiter and be honest.

Let them know that the compensation is considerably less than what you're making right now and if they can close the gap. I doubt they will match, but they should offer you a bump. After the second offer, ask if you can further close the gap through bonus' etc.

In the end, I doubt they will give you a $30,000 raise, but you have to decide if it is worth taking a pay cut.

1. Government position offers a pension
2. Health Benefits
3. Stable
4. Opportunity to get promoted from within the government. Managerial position with tenure.

Present your case and you decide if it is worth the pay cut. I wish you the best.
Aug 7, 2014
326 posts
108 upvotes
Whatever job category they offer you, e.g. CS2 (for computer people), ask them to give u at least the highest step (i.e., step 8 of CS2) that is about $16,000 more than step 1, in order to narrow the salary gap. I have seen cases that they are willing to offer mid to high salary steps to candidates from outside the govt.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
1000islands wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:55 pm
So I just got an contract extension offer and the gov. told me I am selected for a position, half hour apart . Life hasn't been easy for me. Most people graduated the same year and same field as me probably at least managerial level now. and here I am just happy to get something. so I really need your good advice here.

As a tiny female, I want the gov. job, but the monetary difference between IT consulting and perm is substantial, up to 30K. so I am wondering how to talk to the manager/contact person to negotiate to a higher step of the position?

I really don't want to mess things up. So thank you in advance!
And try not to be scared when you talk - just be positive and upbeat, and lay out your cards like Gee / psudolam suggest. Also be prepared for what to do if they say no.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
310 posts
33 upvotes
psudolam wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:45 pm
Whatever job category they offer you, e.g. CS2 (for computer people), ask them to give u at least the highest step (i.e., step 8 of CS2) that is about $16,000 more than step 1, in order to narrow the salary gap. I have seen cases that they are willing to offer mid to high salary steps to candidates from outside the govt.
holy...you know exactly what position I am talking about:) yes, I am considering what higher step I can get. I am afraid to ask for the highest step though. I am considering what wording I should use...
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
310 posts
33 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:48 pm
And try not to be scared when you talk - just be positive and upbeat, and lay out your cards like Gee / psudolam suggest. Also be prepared for what to do if they say no.
I have been communicating with the manager through email, so it's better for me than talk in person.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
310 posts
33 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:33 pm
Okay,

A. You're currently working on a contract position that was recently renewed.
B. Half an hour later, you were offered a government position that pays $30,000 less than your current contract (annually)

If that is the case, I suggest you talk to the government recruiter and be honest.
yes, I think I should and can be honest with them.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
1000islands wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:51 pm
I have been communicating with the manager through email, so it's better for me than talk in person.
Try to speak objectively as to why you are qualified and how you are very interested in this job, but also the pay differential is a consideration.

I'm sure others will have useful advice.

Good luck and most of all Congratulations 1000islands on two great job offers!
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
310 posts
33 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:58 pm
Try to speak objectively as to why you are qualified and how you are very interested in this job, but also the pay differential is a consideration.

I'm sure others will have useful advice.

Good luck and most of all Congratulations 1000islands on two great job offers!
Thank you so much!
It wasn't easy. I applied almost 1 year ago and went through 2 exams and 2 interviews for the gov. job. and the contracting job was highly uncertain either.
Yes, I better write a good response in the similar vein as your suggested.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25424 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
1000islands wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:50 pm
I am afraid to ask for the highest step though. I am considering what wording I should use...
Always talk in person. Don't communicate through email.

Tell them about your experience, let them know that a huge pay cut will be difficult to justify leaving your current position. Ask politely what he can do to narrow the salary gap.

Reassure them that you are worth the investment. They will see results within the probation period.

Confidence in yourself will secure the position and the raise.
Last edited by Gee on Nov 8th, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
310 posts
33 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:05 pm
Always talk in person.

There is no wording. Tell them about your experience, let them know that a huge pay cut will be difficult to justify leaving your current position. Ask politely what he can do to narrow the salary gap.

Reassure them that you are worth the investment. They will see results within the probation period.

Confidence in yourself will secure the position and the raise.
what?! there is a probation period for gov job too?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
If you do end up writing, have someone check your grammar as well :) If in person, what Gee says is good. Stay confident - you have the job.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25424 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
1000islands wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:07 pm
what?! there is a probation period for gov job too?
I've never worked for the government, but I assume so. There has to be a way out for the employer without any repercussions.

According to this post, it is 1 year for federal employees

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fed-govt ... od-956999/