Automotive

Advice on all season tires for a leased car (1 year left)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2010 9:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 15, 2010
2000 posts
113 upvotes
North York
Just call up various tire shops and ask what their very cheapest tire is in your size. Most shops will carry a Chinese brand that no one's ever heard of that will be significantly cheaper than any name brand. It might not be much for performance or longevity but it's perfectly safe since Chinese tires must undergo the same tests as any other tires before being allowed to be sold in Canada.

Steelcase tires in Markham quoted me 600 and something for a set of 4 brand new performance tires in 235/45/17 (usually an expensive size) balanced and installed so I can only assume all-seasons in your size would be much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3969 posts
1262 upvotes
Ottawa
I agree with the advice to get new tires - worn all-seasons are not a good idea heading into winter, even Toronto's version. CR recommends the Hankook Optimo H727 as the best all-season for the conditions you are likely to face. They're available here: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tireb ... pc=1006123

Eagle RSA's were mentioned by a previous poster. I've had them on different cars in the past and I've been underwhelmed - plus they are not great tires in winter. That being said, they're not awful either and tirerack (a US firm) has them on sale right now at a steal of a deal: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes.

One last piece of advice: if you only have a year left on your lease and you think the car tracks well (i.e. if you let go of the steering wheel on a flat and straight road, the car shouldn't pull to one side or the other), skip the alignment.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5985 posts
1014 upvotes
Dilton wrote: Just call up various tire shops and ask what their very cheapest tire is in your size. Most shops will carry a Chinese brand that no one's ever heard of that will be significantly cheaper than any name brand. It might not be much for performance or longevity but it's perfectly safe since Chinese tires must undergo the same tests as any other tires before being allowed to be sold in Canada.

Steelcase tires in Markham quoted me 600 and something for a set of 4 brand new performance tires in 235/45/17 (usually an expensive size) balanced and installed so I can only assume all-seasons in your size would be much cheaper.

Ok, good option. I was going to say that maybe Id worry about the safety of those tires but based on the testing you mentioned above maybe not. I find that the performance on my current tires that came with the car sucks in wet/snow/ice conditions anyway. Could the Chinese tires be that much worse? I drive around for work so will need them to perfrom somewhat.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5985 posts
1014 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: I agree with the advice to get new tires - worn all-seasons are not a good idea heading into winter, even Toronto's version. CR recommends the Hankook Optimo H727 as the best all-season for the conditions you are likely to face. They're available here: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tireb ... pc=1006123

Eagle RSA's were mentioned by a previous poster. I've had them on different cars in the past and I've been underwhelmed - plus they are not great tires in winter. That being said, they're not awful either and tirerack (a US firm) has them on sale right now at a steal of a deal: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes.

One last piece of advice: if you only have a year left on your lease and you think the car tracks well (i.e. if you let go of the steering wheel on a flat and straight road, the car shouldn't pull to one side or the other), skip the alignment.

Thanks, Ill look up the Hankooks. I noted in one of my previous posts that I checked the Eagle RSAs on Tirerack but just wasnt sure about ordering from them in terms of being a cost savings.

Good tip re: alignment, thanks.

EDIT: I looked up the Hankooks...they are $149 per tire. I didn't really want to spend that much for tires that I'm only going to be using for one year before I give the car back. The Eagle RSAs are half that much.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5985 posts
1014 upvotes
Tires23 quoted me on the following:

Eagle RSA- $550 tax in, balanced and installed

Dunlop Signature-$570 -$40 MIR = $530 tax in, balanced and installed

With the Tirerack pricing, the Eagle RSAs would be $300US plus $110 shipping. Plus I suppose I'd pay 13% tax at the border = ~$450 CAD unless I pay "customs/duties". Then I'd have to pay to get them installed. And they adviertise a $40 MIR but not sure if that applies in Canada.

Standard Autowreckers had no stock of all-seasons at the moment.
Aug 13, 2009
7 posts
Nova Scotia
Make sure to put in a set of tires with the same speed rating as well, or otherwise they will plunder you.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1091 posts
50 upvotes
Bolton, ON
Bramalea Tire has the 205/55/16 GoodYear RSA on sale for $84.00 per tire as advertised in the Toronto Star Wheels section today.

www.bramaleatire.com
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
779 upvotes
North York
amz155 wrote: Tires23 quoted me on the following:

Eagle RSA- $550 tax in, balanced and installed

Dunlop Signature-$570 -$40 MIR = $530 tax in, balanced and installed

With the Tirerack pricing, the Eagle RSAs would be $300US plus $110 shipping. Plus I suppose I'd pay 13% tax at the border = ~$450 CAD unless I pay "customs/duties". Then I'd have to pay to get them installed. And they adviertise a $40 MIR but not sure if that applies in Canada.

Standard Autowreckers had no stock of all-seasons at the moment.

The Eagle RSA for $121/tire installed+balanced is a good price for tires for the Matrix.

$117/tire installed+balanced for the Dunlops would be great. Even without the rebate .. $126/tire is a good price for a nice tire.

Found the ad....Bramalea Tire (905-793-1881) ... Eagle RSA 205/55R16 for (Civic,Jetta,Matrix) $84/tire. (I think there is a install+balance charge when I checked 6 months ago.) Today's Saturday Star, Wheels section page W23.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5985 posts
1014 upvotes
BradT wrote: Bramalea Tire has the 205/55/16 GoodYear RSA on sale for $84.00 per tire as advertised in the Toronto Star Wheels section today.

www.bramaleatire.com
Busybuyer888 wrote: The Eagle RSA for $121/tire installed+balanced is a good price for tires for the Matrix.

$117/tire installed+balanced for the Dunlops would be great. Even without the rebate .. $126/tire is a good price for a nice tire.

Found the ad....Bramalea Tire (905-793-1881) ... Eagle RSA 205/55R16 for (Civic,Jetta,Matrix) $84/tire. (I think there is a install+balance charge when I checked 6 months ago.) Today's Saturday Star, Wheels section page W23.
Where did you come up with the $121 and $117 per tire for the Eagle RSA and Dunlops/respectively?
Based on my quote above wouldn't it be $550/4 = $137 and $530/4 = $132?

Thanks for the info re: the ad. I think someone mentioned that the ad would be in the sports section IIRC so I took a look there and nada. Thanks for clarifying. I did go to Costco too but they had nothing but Michelins, BF Goodrich, and Bridgestone apparently.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1091 posts
50 upvotes
Bolton, ON
The Bramalea Tire ad was in the Wheels section.
amz155 wrote: Where did you come up with the $121 and $117 per tire for the Eagle RSA and Dunlops/respectively?

Thanks for the info re: the ad. I think someone mentioned that the ad would be in the sports section IIRC so I took a look there and nada. Thanks for clarifying. I did go to Costco too but they had nothing but Michelins, BF Goodrich, and Bridgestone apparently.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5985 posts
1014 upvotes
BradT wrote: The Bramalea Tire ad was in the Wheels section.

Yes I saw that and thanked you and another poster already :)

Any idea where Busybuyer888 got his numbers from?
Dec 13, 2008
31 posts
15 upvotes
Hamilton
All the advice so far is good. Keep in mind your personal safety. Is saving $20.00 worth 20 feet of white knuckle braking in winter? I suggest you decide on how much you want spend, check the tirerack web site for some informed advice. Then shop local. Also, some tireshops want to sell you only what they have in stock. Good luck, and don't be afraid to haggle.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
779 upvotes
North York
amz155 wrote: Where did you come up with the $121 and $117 per tire for the Eagle RSA and Dunlops/respectively?
You gave the costs with taxes included.

I deducted the taxes for a tire+labour before taxes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5985 posts
1014 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote: You gave the costs with taxes included.

I deducted the taxes for a tire+labour before taxes.

Ah, ok :)

I called Bramalea Tire and the Eagle RSAs are $473 after taxes and installation. That's the best price I've gotten to far. Thanks to everyone who pointed out the ad to me. Their price for Dunlop Signatures was $582 after taxes and installation. So now I just have to decide between the Eagle RSAs for $473 or the Dunlop Signatures from Tires23 for $530.