Automotive

Advice? Bought a car in person from a dealer only to find out later dealer had it listed at lower price on autotrader

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2017 4:19 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2017
1 posts

Advice? Bought a car in person from a dealer only to find out later dealer had it listed at lower price on autotrader

Hi folks,
I had Just bought a used car in person from an authorised dealer only to find out later after I got home that the dealer had the same car (same vin, odometer etc) listed at lower price on autotrader. According the sales agent, the car was just brought in and was being processed etc and wasn't even online yet.

I have tried to call the sales agent and the general sales manager that I dealt with yesterday and found out that they are both off until tomorrow. I hope some of you other there in RFD land can offer some insight or advice into whether or not I have a leg to stand on since all the paper work has been signed. Both the agent and general sales manager will be back tomorrow.
12 replies
Aug 17, 2009
409 posts
186 upvotes
They're both off, eh? LOL, how convenient.

If I were in your shoes, I would check my paper work that I signed about returns. Some dealerships have 48 hours returns / no questions asked. If that's the case, I would run over right away and demand that either they price adjust it to the lower amount, or I return the car. But that's what I would do, you can do whatever! LOL
Mar 3, 2011
267 posts
120 upvotes
Dont forget to get a screen grab of the add and you can also save the weblink to the wayback web archiving tool - pop in the link to the ad and hit save and it should record it to their website. I usually use it to backup pages for things that I know I might need in the near future in case they change.

https://archive.org/web/
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2196 posts
785 upvotes
Vancouver
You can save all the evidence you want because it won't matter. It's the contract that will be looked at.

I think you'll quickly discover the price posted on Autotrader "was so low because it was an error" and your negotiated price is the correct one.
Jan 12, 2017
88 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
Yea i think you are SOL
You signed off on the price on the contract.
It's not like you are buying electronic and asking for price protection...
But im wondering how you bought the car, did you not shop around and compare prices? Were you just walking by a dealership and decided to buy a car, right there and then?
[OP]
Mar 16, 2017
1 posts
Thanks for the website. I'll keep that in mind for the future. A couple of hours later the post on autotrader dissappeared stating that the car was sold.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1635 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
How much of a price difference are we talking here? Forget the phone. Drive there tomorrow and raise a stink.
Mar 3, 2011
267 posts
120 upvotes
If they won't adjust the price see if they will compensate you in form accessories or service.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1725 posts
654 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
tapeworm3 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:34 pm
Hi folks,
I had Just bought a used car in person from an authorised dealer only to find out later after I got home that the dealer had the same car (same vin, odometer etc) listed at lower price on autotrader. According the sales agent, the car was just brought in and was being processed etc and wasn't even online yet.
Makes no difference what they offered it online at. They had a price displayed which you thought was acceptable. Presumably there was some negotiation taking place where you came to a mutually acceptable price. They offered to sell at that price, you accepted the offer and an agreement was made.

While there's no legal obligation for them to do anything, if you can provide proof (a printout of the website) of the difference, they may offer something as a goodwill gesture. You're certainly not in a position to demand anything, nor are you in a position where you can threaten to go public with what they did, because ultimately they didn't do anything wrong.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6776 posts
405 upvotes
Markham
You can "try" ask them politely rather they can match their advertised price, but i really doubt.

You already signed the paper to bought at the price, why would they cut off their profit for you?

If I listed an item on kijiji for $100, but on RFD I posted it for $90. The guy bought it from my kijiji ads for $100 and later find out I also sell at $90 in RFD, Would I refund him the $10 difference? No way!
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 11, 2017
69 posts
23 upvotes
just drive your car and enjoy it... don't waste your time going to the dealership and bitching about seeing the same car listed cheaper, they won't do anything. you agreed on a price and paid. you also signed paperwork stating that fact so seeing it posted elsewhere for less means squat. they did nothing wrong and like the one member posted above you both agreed on a price and the deal with completed. this isn't walmart or shoppers where you can return showing a flyer/ad with the same car posted lower elsewhere and demand/expect a return on the difference or compensation in the form of accessories or discounts.

the salesperson didn't mislead you, the dealership didn't bait and switch you.... it could very well be they just both happen to have the same day off. unless you pestered them already about wanting a monetary refund on the difference and in that case are avoiding you because they don't want the hassle since there isn't any issue.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28777 posts
921 upvotes
Fernando Po
Yet another one hit wonder.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel