Tags:
None
Jul 25, 2012
40 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver

Advice on certs for MIS

Hi,

Currently I am an MIS major with about 5 courses left before graduation and am looking for advice on which certifications (if any) would be useful for entry level positions. I am aiming for a Business Analyst role post grad and since a few of my peers have CAPM and I was wonder if it is worth the investment. Also I have been seeking for internships but have not had any luck so far and am considering delaying graduation to have more time to get one. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!
2 replies
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Take a look at Microsoft certs too.

But experience is better than any cert
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
1082 posts
1669 upvotes
Toronto
CAPM is useless IMO. If you already have the PM education hours and have no problems paying the cost for the exam, then by all means go for it. Almost everyone I know who got it just ended up letting it expire. I always find it funny to see junior analysts put CAPM in their email signatures.

I strongly suggest getting an internship - especially one where you are in some way involved in the SDLC. Business analysis is one of those jobs that's hard to just jump into with zero experience/knowledge.

I actually don't think there are any certifications worth investing in until you really start specializing in a particular industry or product.