• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2018 2:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2007
290 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal

Advice On Cycling Gear

Getting back into cycling after a small break. Mid last year, I was hit by a car leaving a parking lot, fortunately I was ok, but my helmet was cracked.
Looking into getting a new one. Last one was a Giro Atmos that I picked up in the States, it was decent and I'm looking for something similar. Does anyone know of a better/lighter helmet? (the vent style made for a loud ride in the wind). Also looking for some cycling shorts, plain black or maybe something with a Canadian flag on it or something similar. Can anyone recommend a comfortable pair?
10 replies
Dec 18, 2012
298 posts
64 upvotes
get another atmos :) i like them alot.
depending on budget, the Synthe is an incredibly light helmet. but it's also double the price of the atmos. I tried one on and loved it but can't justify dropping $400 on a helmet!

as for shorts, I bought the bib version of the Castelli Evoluzione 2 kit, which I've really been enjoying. Much nicer and more compressive fit than my last shorts. And they look pretty badass
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-436/ ... 2-Bibshort
Sep 10, 2006
188 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the atmos - and its quite good for my needs as well. Loved the Synthe but so expensive!

I started out with a Castelli bib but they don't see any more use. I found that they got super uncomfortable after wearing them for an hour and just needed to take them off. I switched up to Assos Cento bib's and found, while pricey, are super comfortable
[OP]
Sep 3, 2007
290 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
thecrashton wrote:
May 7th, 2018 11:54 am
the Synthe is an incredibly light helmet. but it's also double the price of the atmos. I tried one on and loved it but can't justify dropping $400 on a helmet!
I did like the atmos quite a bit, I will have to go see if I can get a deal on the Synthe, but $400 is a little steep.
thecrashton wrote:
May 7th, 2018 11:54 am
as for shorts, I bought the bib version of the Castelli Evoluzione 2 kit, which I've really been enjoying. Much nicer and more compressive fit than my last shorts. And they look pretty badass
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-436/ ... 2-Bibshort
I have never used bib shorts because they just don't look like they would be comfortable, but I will consider giving them a try this time around. I didn't know MEC carried Castelli. Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 3, 2007
290 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
spider78 wrote:
May 7th, 2018 3:49 pm
I have the atmos - and its quite good for my needs as well. Loved the Synthe but so expensive!

I started out with a Castelli bib but they don't see any more use. I found that they got super uncomfortable after wearing them for an hour and just needed to take them off. I switched up to Assos Cento bib's and found, while pricey, are super comfortable
That's what I was wondering a few years back when I considered switching to bib shorts, but I heard several colleagues who race for long periods found them uncomfortable. Thanks for the tip, I will look up the Assos shorts as well.
Sep 10, 2006
188 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
JEST3R wrote:
May 8th, 2018 9:53 pm
That's what I was wondering a few years back when I considered switching to bib shorts, but I heard several colleagues who race for long periods found them uncomfortable. Thanks for the tip, I will look up the Assos shorts as well.
I find that my Castelli's have a shorter straps so the pad is pulled too tight up into my crotch - which is odd because I have longer legs vs Torso. The Assos (t.cento s7) fit me much better and don't dig into me. If you can find a pair (whatever brand) that fits you well, go for it. Bibs are miles better than shorts if they fit well
Dec 18, 2012
298 posts
64 upvotes
spider78 wrote:
May 8th, 2018 11:53 pm
Bibs are miles better than shorts if they fit well
I agree. They stay perfectly in place as they should and just feel much more secure than regular shorts. would not go back to shorts now that i've been riding in bibs.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2318 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
For my head nothing fits better than Rudy. They have sales often and prices are great. Also using their glasses.
For clothing, I really like Pearl Izumi fit on me.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2007
290 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 9th, 2018 12:51 pm
For my head nothing fits better than Rudy. They have sales often and prices are great. Also using their glasses.
For clothing, I really like Pearl Izumi fit on me.
I bought Pearl Izumi long tights for autumn riding and the threads came apart in places, the reflective material also flaked and peeled off. I was disappointed for what I had paid, as these were fairly expensive.
Which helmet models from Rudy do you recommend? I took a quick look at them and some look pretty decent.
Jan 11, 2002
649 posts
214 upvotes
Midland
Any comments on the new Oakley helmets?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2318 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
JEST3R wrote:
May 9th, 2018 10:55 pm
I bought Pearl Izumi long tights for autumn riding and the threads came apart in places, the reflective material also flaked and peeled off. I was disappointed for what I had paid, as these were fairly expensive.
Which helmet models from Rudy do you recommend? I took a quick look at them and some look pretty decent.
Thats weird. I have most of clothing from PI Pro line and they have been holding up great for few years now with lots of use. Even survived few serious wipe outs without a tear, I did not.
For helmets I have the Sterling. Fluo yellow for commute and white for clubs rides / races. When I crushed at well over 40km/h during a race, it came in very very handy and saved my head.
A thing to add that I like is that they come with bug mesh that you are able to detach and wash if need be.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)