Advice on a decent sound bar

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 9:16 am
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
18 upvotes

Advice on a decent sound bar

Howdy folks. Looking for a fairly decent sound bar compatible with Sony XBR65X900E that doesn't break the bank. 5.1 is preferable.

Thanks in advance.
60 replies
Sep 5, 2011
454 posts
89 upvotes
Charlottetown
What's your price range? The fairly decent soundbars can get pricey, but there are good budget systems out there.

Not sure what it's like here but there's a lot of people out there who are anti sound bar and I kinda get it. For the cost of a decent sounding sound bar, you can get a receiver and a couple bookshelf's that will sound a lot better. However, it doesn't take into account your living space, and convenience. Plus you have to hunt down the deals, for example BB had a great deal over the summer to get a set of 5.1 speakers for $50 with the purchase of a receiver. I haven't seen a better deal since then, but there could be on BF.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
18 upvotes
theDuder wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 7:46 am
What's your price range? The fairly decent soundbars can get pricey, but there are good budget systems out there.

Not sure what it's like here but there's a lot of people out there who are anti sound bar and I kinda get it. For the cost of a decent sounding sound bar, you can get a receiver and a couple bookshelf's that will sound a lot better. However, it doesn't take into account your living space, and convenience. Plus you have to hunt down the deals, for example BB had a great deal over the summer to get a set of 5.1 speakers for $50 with the purchase of a receiver. I haven't seen a better deal since then, but there could be on BF.
Living room doesn't have much space. Looking to put the sound bar in a floating shelf under the wall mounted TV.

Looking in the price range of 250 - 300. (if that's even achievable.) :)
Sep 5, 2011
454 posts
89 upvotes
Charlottetown
5.1 in that price range, you're probably looking at the Vizio SB3651-E6 for $299.99 at Costco. 2017 model has added features like smart casting and bluetooth. Reviews out there say it's a decent budget system and Vizio has gotten a good name for their sound bars over the years.

I'm no audiophile, just done a little bit of research lately because I'm in need of one myself. I'm constantly going back and fourth wondering if I should worry less about 5.1 for soundbars. The more I do that though, the more the cost goes up from the Vizio. For example the LG SJ8 was on sale at BB a couple weeks ago for $400. It's a 4.1, but apparently a beast of a soundbar.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5556 posts
953 upvotes
Maple
If the room is small, then try this. It fit your budget. I got rid of the HT system in the summer, have my eyes on this. It has both bluetooth and digital optical cable connection to your TV.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00WTQ ... 5QEEDTMV7W
kgvaughan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:13 am
Living room doesn't have much space. Looking to put the sound bar in a floating shelf under the wall mounted TV.

Looking in the price range of 250 - 300. (if that's even achievable.) :)
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
18 upvotes
theDuder wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:39 am
5.1 in that price range, you're probably looking at the Vizio SB3651-E6 for $299.99 at Costco. 2017 model has added features like smart casting and bluetooth. Reviews out there say it's a decent budget system and Vizio has gotten a good name for their sound bars over the years.

I'm no audiophile, just done a little bit of research lately because I'm in need of one myself. I'm constantly going back and fourth wondering if I should worry less about 5.1 for soundbars. The more I do that though, the more the cost goes up from the Vizio. For example the LG SJ8 was on sale at BB a couple weeks ago for $400. It's a 4.1, but apparently a beast of a soundbar.
Was thinking the same. Had my eye on 3851. But will look in to the SJ8 too.
teoconca wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:48 am
If the room is small, then try this. It fit your budget. I got rid of the HT system in the summer, have my eyes on this. It has both bluetooth and digital optical cable connection to your TV.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00WTQ ... 5QEEDTMV7W
Thanks for the suggestion.
Sep 5, 2011
454 posts
89 upvotes
Charlottetown
kgvaughan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:44 am
Was thinking the same. Had my eye on 3851. But will look in to the SJ8 too.

Yamaha are really good I hear, the YAS-207 is a little out of your price range but that wold possibly be my pick right now. The YAS-107 is little less powerful but also features DTS:X, which (from my 2 minutes reading about it) is great for home theatre.

Costco has the YAS-107 on, however in the description it mentions 'wireless subwoofer'. If that's true, that could be a good price considering it's reg price is $329.99 on Amazon.

There's too many options!
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
18 upvotes
theDuder wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:40 pm
Yamaha are really good I hear, the YAS-207 is a little out of your price range but that wold possibly be my pick right now. The YAS-107 is little less powerful but also features DTS:X, which (from my 2 minutes reading about it) is great for home theatre.

Costco has the YAS-107 on, however in the description it mentions 'wireless subwoofer'. If that's true, that could be a good price considering it's reg price is $329.99 on Amazon.

There's too many options!

Yup even the specifications say the same.

Specifications:
Dimensions (W x H x D):
Centre unit: 93 cm x 6 cm x 10.8 cm (36.6 in. x 2.4 in. x 4.3 in.)
Wireless subwoofer: 18 cm x 43.7 cm x 40.1 cm (7.1 in. x 17.2 in. x 15.8 in.)

But I strongly believe that's a typo considering the Yamaha website doesn't list the sub woofer. https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio ... index.html

The page explicitly says, If you have a subwoofer, you can connect it by cable to the YAS-107, and get more impact, power and enjoyment from movies, concert videos — and all your music that benefits from big bass.
Sep 5, 2011
454 posts
89 upvotes
Charlottetown
kgvaughan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:57 pm

Yup even the specifications say the same.

Specifications:
Dimensions (W x H x D):
Centre unit: 93 cm x 6 cm x 10.8 cm (36.6 in. x 2.4 in. x 4.3 in.)
Wireless subwoofer: 18 cm x 43.7 cm x 40.1 cm (7.1 in. x 17.2 in. x 15.8 in.)

But I strongly believe that's a typo considering the Yamaha website doesn't list the sub woofer. https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio ... index.html

The page explicitly says, If you have a subwoofer, you can connect it by cable to the YAS-107, and get more impact, power and enjoyment from movies, concert videos — and all your music that benefits from big bass.
I've sent them an email to see if I can get confirmation, Costco is known for having special bundles so if that's true my wallet may be getting a bit lighter today
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
18 upvotes
theDuder wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:00 pm
I've sent them an email to see if I can get confirmation, Costco is known for having special bundles so if that's true my wallet may be getting a bit lighter today
Kindly keep me posted if this is a bundle.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
18 upvotes
theDuder wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:39 am
For example the LG SJ8 was on sale at BB a couple weeks ago for $400. It's a 4.1, but apparently a beast of a soundbar.
This store has it for 499 with free shipping all over Canada. http://www.centrehifi.com/en/catalog/pr ... 513-LG-SJ8

If I can PM with BestBuy, would it a decent deal?

Or Visions. Since that store carries 15% off of the difference.
Sep 5, 2011
454 posts
89 upvotes
Charlottetown
kgvaughan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:54 pm
This store has it for 499 with free shipping all over Canada. http://www.centrehifi.com/en/catalog/pr ... 513-LG-SJ8

If I can PM with BestBuy, would it a decent deal?

Or Visions. Since that store carries 15% off of the difference.
Hard for me to say what would be the better deal at that price range. Digging more into the Yamaha, it seems to punch more above its weight class, especially with the DTS: Virtual X. Again no idea if that means it will sound better than the LG, but you could always get it, and see if its suitable for you room. Part of me wants to buy two systems just to see the extra difference in quality, and then bring back one.

Nothing back from Costco yet, will keep you posted
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
18 upvotes
Looks like centrehifi price was an error. Now It's showing 799 like other retailers. :(
Mar 8, 2008
28 posts
7 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
The Polk magnifi mini is unbelievable for the price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)