• Jan 11th, 2019 10:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1633 posts
165 upvotes
St. Johns

Advice for diversifying passive investing using Couch Potato

Looking for some advice on diversifying my investments. I'm currently following the canadian couch potato using primarily growth tangerine funds.

The issue I'm facing is that I essentially have two accounts. The first is a locked RSP from a previous employer with approximately $30K in a tangerine growth fund. I do not contribute to this account as I intend to let it grow. My other acct is a regular RSP acct with an approx value of $20K which is also in a growth tangerine fund. I also a have smaller TFSA account with wealthsimple.

Should I consider diversifying one of my accounts? I could move one to TD E-series but given their relatively small size I'm not sure it makes sense. I love the ease of tangerine which is why I have kept the two accounts in tangerine growth funds.
2 replies
Sep 2, 2009
209 posts
88 upvotes
Ottawa
RyanS219 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:45 am
Should I consider diversifying one of my accounts? I could move one to TD E-series but given their relatively small size I'm not sure it makes sense. I love the ease of tangerine which is why I have kept the two accounts in tangerine growth funds.
From the sounds of it you are already diversified - no need to mess with a good thing. If you could lower fees though, that may be worthwhile (but wouldn't be diversification.

The e-series are lower in fees if I recall - but may have a minimum balance without account maintenance fees?
Feb 26, 2017
851 posts
437 upvotes
It looks like 15k to avoid the $25 quarterly fee with TD Direct Investing.

https://www.canadianportfoliomanagerblo ... investing/

You can buy the e-series without commissions if you buy over $100 at a time (I think its $25 if its an pre authorized purchase plan). You can also just set up a mutual fund account with TD (that what I'm doing for my kid's RESPs).