Careers

Advice to find work in Toronto from other province?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2018 11:35 am
Nov 27, 2016
140 posts
68 upvotes

Advice to find work in Toronto from other province?

Plan move to Toronto next year, IT - Frontend, any advice or suggestion are welcome. Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have friends or family in Toronto? If so then just use their address on your resume. I did that and it worked
Nov 27, 2016
140 posts
68 upvotes
hockeyfan1990 wrote: Do you have friends or family in Toronto? If so then just use their address on your resume. I did that and it worked
Thanks for the tip... I already used Toronto number but no luck so far.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Toronto is super competitive. What is OP field?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Based on the available details, it will be challenging.

Many of the bright (and cheap) tech talent in the US have started to migrate to Canada from the US due to H1B visa issues. They work twice as hard as locals for half the pay.

Times of India
Jan 31, 2016
67 posts
21 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
raichu1 wrote: Toronto is super competitive. What is OP field?
If OP wants the big bucks, he/she should apply for big firms at the financial sectors in Toronto. However, you have lots of people (esp international students) aiming to go there. Other sectors (mainly service or manufacturing) will not be very promising in terms of money.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
papermoney wrote: If OP wants the big bucks, he/she should apply for big firms at the financial sectors in Toronto. However, you have lots of people (esp international students) aiming to go there. Other sectors (mainly service or manufacturing) will not be very promising in terms of money.
the financial sector is cheap at the lower to lower mid levels. It takes a lot of work to move up. The trades pay well if you find a company willing to take you in. OP can make it big if they can become a police officer or work for the government.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
You can't, I tried this before when I was in SK (early last year). I got a few calls but never got pass to the job offer part. Always losing to someone already in Toronto. It's very competitive. This experience actually prompted me to move to Toronto without any job secured. A face to face interview is important too as they would like to see if you would fit into their office culture.

I am also in IT like you.
Nov 27, 2016
140 posts
68 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote: You can't, I tried this before when I was in SK (early last year). I got a few calls but never got pass to the job offer part. Always losing to someone already in Toronto. It's very competitive. This experience actually prompted me to move to Toronto without any job secured. A face to face interview is important too as they would like to see if you would fit into their office culture.

I am also in IT like you.
Thanks. Looks like company can’t afford to take the risk and hire. I might take the same route as you, will see.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)