Advice flying roundtrip to EU out of USA

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2019 1:19 pm
Aug 19, 2019
103 posts
106 upvotes

Advice flying roundtrip to EU out of USA

Hello,

I have been looking at 2x roundtrip tickets to Bucharest in premium economy or business for spring 2020. We live in Vancouver and I have noticed that the same itinerary would be 2k+ cheaper if we were to fly out of Seattle roundtrip instead.

My question is if we were to choose to fly roundtrip from the states, then as Canadian citizens are there any extra steps or precautions that we should take? I really have no idea where to begin.

Just to clarify the plan would be to drive to SEA fly out, return to SEA and drive back to Vancouver.

Thanks in advance
6 replies
Jan 8, 2012
887 posts
744 upvotes
Williams Lake
Assuming you have passports, and don't have any sorts of personal issues that might cause problems crossing the border (criminal records, visits to certain countries--Iran, Sudan several others), I can't think of extra steps you need to take.

If you fly into the US, you will be required to fill in information re name, DOB, passport #, destination address. But you can do that on the website of the airline you're flying with.

It's been a long time since I've driven into the US, so maybe more recent border crossers can chime in with anything else that might apply in that situation.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
$2k is definitely worth the hassle. My wife and I used to use SEA albeit mostly for domestic U.S. flights. Drive to SEA is fine if you avoid going into/through/out of Seattle on I-5 at the wrong times (best to get to Seattle by ~1300 or before the express lanes switch from southbound to northbound (and v-v when heading home). The HOV (2 or more last time I used them) lanes help so use them (generally on the left lane). Some exits/interchanges accommodate the car pool lane while others don't (or do/don't depending on direction). You want to use them and it helps you get into the express lanes through Seattle if open in your direction of travel. Let us know your travel times and we can advice.

Immigration waits at SEA can reportedly be pretty hideous due to increased traffic and an international terminal (South satellite) that is hemmed in with no place to expand, so much so that even if you can use Global Entry, you may not be able to get to the automated kiosks.

Then there is also the issue of parking. Lots of choices vs. YVR but costs vary (I think quite bit above $10/day these days), as does shuttle bus frequency. I haven't parked at SEA for 9 years now. I'd give an hour from getting to the SeaTac area, getting to your parking lot, parking and getting the shuttle to the airport, just in case.

I used to use this outfit when it was an incredible $0.99 a day and you got a free day coupon for every 3 days. Another is this one. The small motels and hotels along Int'l Blvd also offer park/stay 'n fly rates which may well be worth it. Shuttle frequency is a lot lower however.

Allow enough time to check in if you don't have airline status (or are not flying BC), and time to get through security (can be very long at the wrong times). All security lanes allow access to all over the airport so choose the shortest (there are 3 security entry points IIRC).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Aug 19, 2019
103 posts
106 upvotes
Thanks everyone for the responses. They helped to clarify many things. However, my biggest concern would be immigration and customs on the return leg from Europe back to SEA.

Specifically would we be held to a different standard for the value of the goods we are bringing into the USA as a non resident? Or would we be subject to the same regulations as US residents?

Also would the import of certain food products such as honey (what we usually load up on) be any stricter due to us being Canadian vs American?

Lastly, should we foresee any issues with CBSA upon reentry to Canada with the value or content of our goods if we were to drive straight to the border after landing back in SEA?

Once again, many thanks for the responses!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
I’ve flown to Asia and South America via the USA many times. Never had any issues. The Americans seem happy for the business. You just declare what you are leaving in the USA (nothing).

From Vancouver, there are four airlines that go to London non-stop: Westjet, Air Transat, Air Canada and British Airways. In May, $780 return in Economy, $1800 in Premium. From London, a 3 hour non-stop flight to Bucharest is as low as $130 return. Keep in mind the UK won’t be part of the EU by then.

There is also competition on the Frankfurt route. Not sure how premium economy premium is on Condor, but they charge $1700, return. Frankfurt-Bucharest is as low as $200, return (2h15 flight).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Cfup69 wrote: Thanks everyone for the responses. They helped to clarify many things. However, my biggest concern would be immigration and customs on the return leg from Europe back to SEA.

Specifically would we be held to a different standard for the value of the goods we are bringing into the USA as a non resident? Or would we be subject to the same regulations as US residents?

Also would the import of certain food products such as honey (what we usually load up on) be any stricter due to us being Canadian vs American?

Lastly, should we foresee any issues with CBSA upon reentry to Canada with the value or content of our goods if we were to drive straight to the border after landing back in SEA?

Once again, many thanks for the responses!
Honey is admissible so be truthful about the quantity and value along with quantities and values of any other goods and you’re alright as far as CBP and CBSA are concerned . Nothing to worry about you’ll be fine.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just say you are transiting through the U.S. to get home and taking everything with you and declare as usual. They'll most likely ignore any over allowance. Food is food and the same standards apply whether you transit or not. The U.S. is more strict on fruit and veg so none of that. I think cheese with whey isn't allowed. As for honey, get pasteurised, industrially-packaged stuff to make it easier on you.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)